Beach find - lead?

jjws

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, new to the forum as far as posting. Curious if anyone has an idea on this. Found these figures (6-8 inches tall or so) and other related pieces in a tight area at low tide on a beach in San Diego over the weekend. Mostly under sand but no deeper than a few inches. They seems to be lead and one of the figures is quite a bit heavier than the other. There is some discoloration - mostly brown and a bit of white. Some of the smaller items have holes as if connected to a chain/rope/necklace? Thanks for anything - can certainly post more detailed pics. No markings whatsoever that I can find.

I have them out of water now - should I keep them submerged in something?

Attachments

• IMG_20140921_220248005.jpg
    IMG_20140921_220248005.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat finds! Sorry I can't help with identification, but I'm sure someone here can.

Welcome to TN!

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
My guess is fertility figures and good luck charms, possibility African.

Upvote 0

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago, someone made a similar find on the rocks near San Francisco Bay. Multiple lead figures and objects like yours. It was determined they were something akin to good luck charms popularly used on ships and dated to the late 1800s (1870s to 1890s I believe)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jjws

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be worth noting that there have been a series of large storms off the coast of Mexico recently. They kicked up some enormous waves - maybe enough to carry something like this in to shore?

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
was she holding something....is it like the center of a scale?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jjws

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hands are broken off on the figure with the larger base, so hard to tell on that one. Seems like a plausible possibility.

Missing from the original picture are an anchor of about the size of the key and another paddle/oar.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jjws

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Separate opinion on these from someone familiar with these types of items also thought some of the items appeared to be talisman good luck symbols as coachbedford mentioned. Would love to have someone examine these in person. Any ideas on where to start with that?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread