gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slept with the doors open last night due to warm weather. Woken up early today by a strange noise, tried to sleep but odd noise continued so I rolled over and opened my eyes and saw this bruin emptying my bird feeder. House smelled like bacon from last night, I am so glad it didn't come through the screen1 I am only 25 miles north of NYC and we seldom get bears around here although the county is 33% wooded parkland. Plenty of deer, turkey, foxes but this is the first bear I've seen at my house.

9A21559A-6CAA-45A8-9CB8-816BC6F6EAE3.jpeg
967A7D54-AE03-4B9C-A7BC-AC63332ED567.jpeg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat picture. Thanks for sharing. We had to take all our feeders down. Here is his southern cousin. Picture taken from back deck. I would accurately say he weighs well over 400 pounds. Camera just over 2' from ground.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 29

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slept with the doors open last night due to warm weather. Woken up early today by a strange noise, tried to sleep but odd noise continued so I rolled over and opened my eyes and saw this bruin emptying my bird feeder. House smelled like bacon from last night, I am so glad it didn't come through the screen1 I am only 25 miles north of NYC and we seldom get bears around here although the county is 33% wooded parkland. Plenty of deer, turkey, foxes but this is the first bear I've seen at my house.

View attachment 2036365 View attachment 2036366
Dang!

View attachment 2036365 View attachment 2036366
Dang! If that'd been me he would've been all snuggled up next to me nibbling on my ear asking "who's making coffee". Be glad you don't have my luck!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pic. That is not a good thing for a bear to be coming around looking for food at your house. They will start to learn that as an easy food source. Maybe your weather has been such that they don't have much natural food source? If so, you can expect more of that activity as they get closer to hibernation. Make all kind of racket and noise to run them off, anything to let them know they aren't welcome around humans. From experience, if you have to confront one, if they charge you, the first charge will be a false charge. Stand your ground. Well, most of the time it is, haha!

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pic. That is not a good thing for a bear to be coming around looking for food at your house. They will start to learn that as an easy food source. Maybe your weather has been such that they don't have much natural food source? If so, you can expect more of that activity as they get closer to hibernation. Make all kind of racket and noise to run them off, anything to let them know they aren't welcome around humans. From experience, if you have to confront one, if they charge you, the first charge will be a false charge. Stand your ground. Well, most of the time it is, haha!
Thanks for the advice, but I am pretty familiar with these critters. I used to live just 20 miles north of here where my back yard was a 55,000 acre wildlife preserve with a bear population. This one may have come from there looking for it's own territory as it looked like a two year old. They regularly knocked over the dumpster where I used to live and the worst was seeing mama and three cubs around the yard. There were a few times when I'd look out the window and see a bear or two or mama with cubs outside when I needed to head out to work and I'd load my trapdoor Springfield and carry it out to my car just in case. My sister was a wildlife biologist in AK for 15 years who got dropped off in the wilderness with graduate students to study birds and she had to get certified in bear safety every year. I was surprised to learn thay considered the black bear more dangerous than the grizzly, they said the black bear's reactions were less predictable than those of the brown bear.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat picture. Thanks for sharing. We had to take all our feeders down. Here is his southern cousin. Picture taken from back deck. I would accurately say he weighs well over 400 pounds. Camera just over 2' from ground.
That’s amazing thanks for sharing

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry gunsil, guess I was preaching to the choir, haha! Good deal to be 'bear aware' as there's a lot of folks living here who aren't, and their lack of knowledge can result in DOW coming out and killing those bears. Actually, moose are more of a threat to folks here than bears. We had some temp workers who saw one that showed up in our parking lot and were going to get selfies with it, but luckily we stopped them in time.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and that sir is why we electrified our bird feeder.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the glass ashtray. ... its called "controlled bubble" piece.
Also... called "seeded bubble" glass.

Nice thick one.... is it signed ?
Sometimes you gotta look with glared light to see if acid etched sig.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the glass ashtray. ... its called "controlled bubble" piece.
Also... called "seeded bubble" glass.

Nice thick one.... is it signed ?
Sometimes you gotta look with glared light to see if acid etched sig.
"seeded bubble" as you call it is something else. Seeded glass(the correct term) is completely different than how that piece is made. The piece pictured is made with a pineapple mold(or possibly by over lapping cane that is twised in opposite directions). Seeded glass is made differently by either folding in bubbles into the glass, gathering over baking soda covered glass, or my preferred method where you mix kerosene into the furnace to make the whole pot bubbly. lots of fun and fire shooting out of the furnace with the kerosene.... most places WILL NOT let you do this in their furnaces lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread