Beautiful glass bead from the viking age!

Ihyn

Sep 11, 2018
Hedmark
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Equanox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this beautiful glass bead in the sunset tonight!

Unfortunately it was broken in half.
Found in Norway.

Click here here to see live video

54E5FE3B-B1BB-4F21-AC3A-AFAEC6DAFFE6.jpeg

Upvote 35

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, had a couple of glass bead, nothing as nice as that one - very cool.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great design on the glass bead. Good eyeball recovery.
Do you get to keep it, or is turned in as the detecting finds are?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Would it be the Vikings that made these beads or did they obtain them in trade from elsewhere?

[Products imported to Scandinavia during the Viking age​

The people in Scandinavia traded with people from all over Europe. The merchants either sailed north to one of the Scandinavian trading towns, or they sailed south to visit one of theirs.

The nordic people were interested in foreign products such as grain, herbs, ceramic, lignite (Also called: brown coal), slaves, fruit, nuts, glass, and glass beads.]
I'm inclined to wonder if the o.p.'s recovered bead is related to a trade site near the recovery site as a discard. Or if it traveled first / was worn /used from a site elsewhere.

Africa and Murano were sources for trade beads. I don't know what network the Vikings had. Russia , Germany , other sources existed for beads too.
Only some African do I have trouble telling apart from Venetian beads at a glance. And I have not looked into how long trade beads have been coming out of Africa/ Viking era or not.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful. Though I think it might be more modern than Viking. It seems the broken edge is too crisp. But glass beads have been around for 3,000+ years.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[Products imported to Scandinavia during the Viking age​

The people in Scandinavia traded with people from all over Europe. The merchants either sailed north to one of the Scandinavian trading towns, or they sailed south to visit one of theirs.

The nordic people were interested in foreign products such as grain, herbs, ceramic, lignite (Also called: brown coal), slaves, fruit, nuts, glass, and glass beads.]
I'm inclined to wonder if the o.p.'s recovered bead is related to a trade site near the recovery site as a discard. Or if it traveled first / was worn /used from a site elsewhere.

Africa and Murano were sources for trade beads. I don't know what network the Vikings had. Russia , Germany , other sources existed for beads too.
Only some African do I have trouble telling apart from Venetian beads at a glance. And I have not looked into how long trade beads have been coming out of Africa/ Viking era or not.

Liked the article and as said.

As I have often said, the past is not behind us, it is beneath us. Our soil is full of our history and the memories of our ancestors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread