What's new

Beautiful pestle(lets see yours)

trevmma

Bronze Member
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
1,122
Reaction score
683
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pestle(let's see yours)

Pictured here is a 7in red quartz pestle I found in ky. Not to long ago.My coworker took these beautiful pics I thought I should share with everyone. Thanks for looks, please post yours as well
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    107 KB · Views: 118
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
The natives in my area never took to farming.. So these type tools were not nearly as much of a central part of the village and werr often made with hardwood like Cypress but many crude examples of stone were made and used for tasks like grinding berries leaves and temper for pottery.

ForumRunner_20140522_083718.webp
 
Mine arent pretty but its what they used and is all I have found so far. I have seen some better shaped ones in others collections though from my area. 3 different grinding stones pictured.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3204.webp
    100_3204.webp
    162.3 KB · Views: 83
  • SDC10980.webp
    SDC10980.webp
    510.4 KB · Views: 87
  • SDC10981.webp
    SDC10981.webp
    359.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Killer pestle Trevmma!!!
 
in my neck of the woods we would be more apt to call that a maul as opposed to a pestle and it would have been used as a hammer for splitting cedar and the like.
 
What a nice shape! Very interesting also....wonder how old it is & how long it took to get it like that? These are what I guess would be in that category from NM....:)

RSCN7989.webp RSCN7991.webp RSCN7966.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom