Becoming a little discouraged

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been having great time detecting for a year now, in the north east, mainly bronze and brass items

I loved finding stuff and particularly doing the research on item and previous owners and in habitants of the colonial homesites,
I enjoyed the slow drying of artifact the excitement and anticipation of what it might finally look like, and carefully dry cleaning and sometimes using peroxide, and loved item revealing its details etc.

we have very acidic soil here
after so many cleaning techniques tried and tested, along with good coins with the details falling off when dry,
, i have now stopped cleaning altogether, and really miss the process, and its starting discouraging me from wanting to go out looking, even though I am addicted to the hobby and don't want to give it up

I don't care about value, or condition and do love the history surrounding each item, but getting a little discouraged of how crappy things get when the soil comes off.

I expect I am not alone and this is a phase many experienced detectors went through?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too hate it when my treasures degrade and fall apart.... that’s why I only hunt coins, the silver ones I find hold up pretty well.
I hoping that the gold coins come out pretty too.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here...I only hunt silver,even though it’s alot less frequently I’ll make a find. At least they’re not decayed and a waste of time completely. Most times,wheats and Indians are SCORCHED around here. LCs too...

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Where in the northeast are you? I’m in Massachusetts and more often than not, the coins come out of the ground pretty good. I try not to use any chemicals on coins (only lemon juiced one found on a beach) I just let the dry and then gently brush them. Like anything else, you will get plenty of reply’s here on how to preserve and clean your finds.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped cleaning coppers too , they lose the detail too frequently . but it is just the way it is and still dig all I can get.
it seems like the 1700s coppers are in better shape than the 1800s ones. they must be of higher quality .

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in the northeast are you? I’m in Massachusetts and more often than not, the coins come out of the ground pretty good. I try not to use any chemicals on coins (only lemon juiced one found on a beach) I just let the dry and then gently brush them. Like anything else, you will get plenty of reply’s here on how to preserve and clean your finds.

In tri state Area NYC & southern CT, I understand its part of the game, I found in the gardens and cellar lips of house the soil is black and granular and they come` out good sometimes, silver is great its a real spirt liftter

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here...I only hunt silver,even though it’s alot less frequently I’ll make a find. At least they’re not decayed and a waste of time completely. Most times,wheats and Indians are SCORCHED around here. LCs too...

silver is great its a real spirt liftter

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soil is rough at alot of spots in N.Eng.
lot of farmers used liquid fertilizer up here for awhile and that stuff destroys copper coins
i have rarely gotten a good colonial copper or LG cent from farm fields but i usually get period silver
where i get the old stuff so that is why i keep going to them
i'd rather get a beat copper than none at all
hope you stick with it :icon_thumright:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting since '70, mostly in the midwest or Florida. ANY colonial coins or artifacts from the NE in ANY condition beats what's available in most of the places I've hunted! TTC

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting since '70, mostly in the midwest or Florida. ANY colonial coins or artifacts from the NE in ANY condition beats what's available in most of the places I've hunted! TTC

Thanks for the important reminder, it about the adventure , of heading out and not knowing how the day goes and then possibly heading home, with something that came from the people that planted the seed to the growth of this great place

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Amergin, I would suggest contacting a local museum to see what is used on their small artifacts. There are several wax based products that reseal the artifact from air and moisture and prevent degradation. Most of these are pastes you apply with a Qtip and then buff up.
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about acidic, I hunt a lot of farm fields which pretty much say's my Coppers are coming out less than desirable, because of the years of chemicals that they have endured. I pretty much just water them off, and brush lightly with a toothbrush to get the dirt off. I do the same with silver coins, because I like to remember them and look at them the way they came out of the ground. Natural patina is a good thing to me. I have some very nice looking Mercs, and Barbers that are gun metal grey looking. I would not change that look for anything, by using Baking Soda or any other cleaning method. That's just me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread