Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah np. Here is one, it's in Austinburg township in Ashtabula County...
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.49.21 PM.png
There is an S SMITH a few townships away but in most cases only the first letter of the name seems to be abbreviated. Man, looking back at this map I'm noticing even more abbreviations I don't understand, if only they made some sort of key. :BangHead:

Last edited:

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent observation. I knew about the S.H., but the other initials often have me a little bit bewoozled. I've used the Beers county maps in Delaware to find some of the older sites still accessible.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1838052
There is an S SMITH a few townships away but in most cases only the first letter of the name seems to be abbreviated. Man, looking back at this map I'm noticing even more abbreviations I don't understand, if only they made some sort of key. :BangHead:

I see WS which I'm assuming is a wagon shop. If that map piece shows an area where there are a lot of other shops, perhaps SS stands for Shoe Shop.

OP
OP
HeatherM

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1838052

I'm with you, why in the heck wouldn't they have a key with these maps? Makes no sense. I guess everyone knew everything back then and didn't need it. :laughing9:

OP
OP
HeatherM

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see WS which I'm assuming is a wagon shop. If that map piece shows an area where there are a lot of other shops, perhaps SS stands for Shoe Shop.

Maybe Shoe Shop in Noah's town since it was more in town and maybe mine being more out in the country is Saddle Shop. :laughing9:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whatever the initials stand for, they designate a structure.
Are you close enough to go there and MD the area and ask the locals about the initials?
Is your quest to just ID the initials or something more?
Don.....

OP
OP
HeatherM

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever the initials stand for, they designate a structure.
Are you close enough to go there and MD the area and ask the locals about the initials?
Is your quest to just ID the initials or something more?
Don.....

It was my first foray into looking at old maps to translate into finding the current spot and trying to get permission. I know one spot is a farm field but I haven't gone as far yet as to search out current owner and ask. I was asking here in case someone knew what exciting thing may have been there before I went any further. With work I haven't had time to do much more research. (while my retail shop was closed I had all the time in the world but now back to the old grind!)

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my bet is on shingle shop, read the old books, there was one in each town and the cities had quite a few

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my bet is on shingle shop, read the old books, there was one in each town and the cities had quite a few
Ah yes. That would make sense... I recall seeing something along the lines of shingle shop or shingle factory a few times in one of my go-to county histories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread