scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So Im still new to the metal detecting hobby/addiction. After having trouble with a fisher F70 and almost calling it quits. I got a great deal on a whites DFX with a few coils. Today ended my first 2 REAL days of using the detector and all I can say is WOW. I had gone out a few times for 30 min here and there, but finally got to spend some quality time at the park the past 2 days.

A little about where I live/hunt. I live New Orleans. my house is located a short walk from a few great historical locations. This park is the 7th largest park in the U.S. at 1,300 acres. formed in 1853 from a section of a plantation. it has 600 year old oak trees and has civil war history.

Tuesday I got to the park around 2 and being it gets dark at 5 I had to choose a spot fast. I picked a spot in the center of the park off the beaten path among some really old oak trees. I figured that 100 years ago this would have been a good picnic spot. first 45 min I found some pennies from the 70's and a 1965 quarter (always one year late). It seems someone liked to scatter beer pulltabs and throw pennies in this area. I was about to move to a spot that had higher traffic when I got a good signal, had to dig about 4.5" and there it was, a 1898 Indian Head. That got the drive to hunt flowing. About 5 feet over I got high tone +85 I dig and find a 1926 standing quarter in bad shape but I dont care because its my first silver! then nothing but pulltabs for 30 min and a few pennies. I then i get a nice +19 which was at 5" so I hoped it was a coin. not too many 5" deep pull tabs. It was a crusty no date buffalo nic. now Im just wandering not really gridding or anything... just kind of strolling with a detector, when I come across the highest tone i have ever heard. it was a +88 and said 6" I cut a plug and flipped it over to see a nice ring that says sterling on the inside. I came across a small coin spill that gave up 4 crusty pennies and 2 nickles (1944 and 1945) which are in nice shape considering the pennies I cant read at all. end of day one

day two

I decide to try and get some clad. so i hit an area that just hosted the New Orleans Voodoo music festival that had thousands attend. I was in a quarter mood and ended with 31 quarters 18 dimes could have got more dimes but the big aluminum screw top beer caps sound the same and there are millions.

now back to the lower trash areas. i get a good nickle tone at 6" and pop out a 1903 barber nickle. i get nothing good for an hour then out comes a weird tax token. but my favorite find and I almost didnt dig it up because it was a +64... but it said 5.5" so I said why not. what do you know... Wha-LA a 1854 seated half dime. this little guy was up along the foundation to an old building that has long been gone. it must have been lost around the time the park first opened, it was really hard to pinpoint I didnt know i was looking for something so small and I almost gave up thinking it was a false signal. It was really crusty and I rubbed the dirt which I know is a no-no but whatever. In fact I think I cleaned the silver to much and made little scratches on the surface. I dont plan on ever selling them so it bothers me very little.

Thanks for reading this I have uploaded some pictures of the collection. I plan on going back soon (tomorow)

8207215849_d63bcd6f2f_c.jpg

8208301620_0e58822210_m.jpg
8208301516_282b075349_m.jpg
8208301418_cd62a6d2ea_m.jpg

8207211825_560f873bc5_m.jpg
8207211393_709b1442c9_m.jpg
8207210949_893b15df8f_m.jpg
8208300180_c25c5ab07b_m.jpg

8208299070_48a4b93a94_m.jpg
8207208981_c7c5a15e2b_m.jpg

8208297384_fa2b8b2c4f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are you hooked now? I certainly would be! Those are some beautiful coins.

Research, patience, the equipment, and the knowledge to work said equipment are beys to this hobby. Oh yeah and Luck doesn't hurt either.

Learn your machine and you will start finding things at more rapid rate

Good luck, happy hunting.

Oh and one more thing...If you have a wife/girlfriend buy her some flowers now because you are about to make a metal detecting widow

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, great first silver!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Holy cow!! with coins like that I'd hit that place every day! congrats

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the great finds! I envy u havin all that history rite at ur doorstep.. CONGRATS. HH

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice job ......

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job!

My oh my but your soil must be very kind to coins too! Wonder what makes that soil so kind? Not much in the way of mineralization I suppose.

In any case, glad you stuck to it and are well on your way now.

HH!

OP
OP
scottcol

scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHADIFIND said:
Good job!

My oh my but your soil must be very kind to coins too! Wonder what makes that soil so kind? Not much in the way of mineralization I suppose.

In any case, glad you stuck to it and are well on your way now.

HH!

Yeah the soil is sea shells and sand. some of the sand is light and some is dark brown. i was in another area of the park that had a 4" layer of gravel under 2 inches of grass capped sand/soil. this gravel may have been old road or walkway.

OP
OP
scottcol

scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fishstick said:
WTG on the great finds! I envy u havin all that history rite at ur doorstep.. CONGRATS. HH

I feel very lucky not to have to go very far to find a place to hunt with great history.

OP
OP
scottcol

scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
skeeterd said:
I would be in that park every day! Great finds!

Im about to head out again. i have nothing to do for a few hours. this time i have my camera so i can take some pics of the adventure.

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. You will be hooked for life. I wish i had a park like this around me.

I don't know if you realize that the nickels from 1942 to 1945 are "war nickels", made of 35% silver.

Happy hunting

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drooling over the silver.Great finds!

OP
OP
scottcol

scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
StevePa said:
Awesome finds. You will be hooked for life. I wish i had a park like this around me.

I don't know if you realize that the nickels from 1942 to 1945 are "war nickels", made of 35% silver.

Happy hunting

Wow i did not know that about the nickels. that explains a lot. i was wondering why they had a different vdi than other nickels. Im not good at id'ing nickel from trash pull tabs.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, those war nickels count as silver coins! And I'll tell you, and finding a SLQ with a readable date is really cool. Welcome to being an addict!!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some stellar finds. Lots of nice silver, IH and a cool token too. :icon_thumright: Your half dime is one sweet find.

Glad you persisted despite the earlier machine troubles.

HH

OP
OP
scottcol

scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im out at the park now. i just found a small spill. i got 2 washingtons 1940 1941 and 2 wheats 1942 and 1947. i took a video of the event. Pics to come soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions