Ben Sublett and Guadalupe Peak thread

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing an article about Ben Subletts "mine" and how he took someone near the top of Guadalupe Peak and was gone a short time then came back with loot. Has anyone on this site ever actually gone and looked around the top of Guadalupe peak for what I would think is a "cache" of his rather than a mine? Lots of places around the top of that trail to hide things...

Attachments

• z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 630
OP
OP
C

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro, I have seen several of your posts in multiple topics. Seems like you have done a good bit of research on various things. I know years ago Gollum was on the leading edge of field leather on the ground work. Is there anyone on this site that is still active in getting out and research. I am wanting to really chase some leads but can not seem to find anyone enthusiastic enough around here!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
czachary thanks and yes at least several guys are researching the Sublette mine at the moment, that I know of. I am one of them but do not have enough to make a run at it just yet. Sometimes our friends here can be very close-mouthed about these things!

The only thing I would suggest is to be cautious in choosing your partners - there are a lot of good people here but you never know, may find the turnip of the bunch. (A turnip partner is the one that turnip missing with the GOLD soon after it is found! :icon_pale::angry9::cussing:)

I look forward to reading more, thanks in advance.
Roy ~ Oroblanco

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isnt the area he described a national park now?

OP
OP
C

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
czachary thanks and yes at least several guys are researching the Sublette mine at the moment, that I know of. I am one of them but do not have enough to make a run at it just yet. Sometimes our friends here can be very close-mouthed about these things!

The only thing I would suggest is to be cautious in choosing your partners - there are a lot of good people here but you never know, may find the turnip of the bunch. (A turnip partner is the one that turnip missing with the GOLD soon after it is found! :icon_pale::angry9::cussing:)

I look forward to reading more, thanks in advance.
Roy ~ Oroblanco

If i ever trusted someone on here it would take years of in person meetings before proceeding forward. Looking around at Guadalupe Peak pictures from others personal trips on google there are lots of things that appear interesting.

Are you trying to locate the mine itself or some of the caches?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I am mainly interested in the mine itself, as I do not have much faith in locating caches which (to me) seem like it requires a great deal of luck.

OP
OP
C

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it will require a great deal of luck, to me so will the mine. A lead is a lead no matter where it goes to. If someone hid several caches, i am one to believe that clues were left there also.

I have ideas on where to look for the mine itself also..probably completely different techniques than you guys though!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I don't turn up my nose at ANY methods used to find lost mines and/or treasures, what ever method works for you is the method to use! Besides it only makes sense to use all the "tools in the arsenal" so to speak. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! I want to put some simple science behind the searching! That is all!

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are several threads on t-net about this mine, and some postings by direct desendants of ben sublett, you should read them all quite a lot of info.
there is a well known treasure hunter - auther who says he has found it and it is two miles from a hiway, other people say it is in the rustler hills near rustler springs, i have spent alot of time in this country and just does not look like gold country, just to much kaliche and limestone, but several miles west after going into the delaware river valley you start running into ferrous and sandstone formations and can recover a little gold in the creeks and streams.if you travle north on hiway 285 out of pecos and go west at the town of orla on 652 this road intersects 180 at the texas new mexico border, about five mile before you get to this intersection there is a road that goes south called university road on this road you will pass many landmarks that come up in the stories about the sublett mine-delaware spring-burro spring-the chimneys this road splits many time and goes all over that beautiful desert never leaving sight of the guadalupes you can make your way into the apache mountains where there is some gold and silver.
one thing is for sure ben was getting gold from somewhere west of odessa but was never gone long enough to make it to the guadalupes and back, maybe he found it in the guadalupes and moved it closer,the banker who disposed of bens gold had him followed ben camped at a well known crossing of the pecos river the next morning the follower couldnt find old ben and after trying all day to pick his trail back up learned from a sheepherder that ben was already on his way back to odessa, when the follower arrived ben had already disposed of another load of gold, after this ben always brought hard money back with him saying that he had found a jewler to give him a fair price for his gold. some say ben found the lost wagon train of the monahans sand hills, but thats another story, stay in touch i have more

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
czachary,

Here's a factoid told to me by a Sublett searcher who no longer posts on TNet. Before settling in Odessa
Ben worked for a railroad as a water dowser. Did this skill enable him to locate a cache near a water well
he dowsed? I for one can find no geologic source for big nuggets anywhere in Texas or southeastern NM.

I hope BIGSCOTT will tell us more about the Monahans wagon train as I have no info on it.

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting old 1950's documentary on Ben Sublett

It gives two story versions which one is true if any?

Amy

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Embrym

Thanks for the very interesting links. Maybe there is a connection to the Ben Sublett story?

Amy

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Yes, thanks for those links. It all fits now, Ben, water witching for that railroad finds wagon train and
the rest is history.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have read the link posted, which says the wagon train was headed west from fort worth to el paso, when i find it i will post a newspaper article i have from monahans in which a judge found the wagon train and a bunch of houshold goods,mineing tools made in san francisco ca, and the bolt of blue clothe and also some wooley mamoth bones which he plastered back together, he displayed this stuff along with territorial photographs, newspaper articles, and indian artifacts in a museum of sorts in the town of monahans run by him and his wife, after he died nobody took care of the museum and the stuff was distributed to austin, and a museum in alpine texas, and some going to the headquarters at the sand hills state park where they are on display, the park rangers are weary of people talking about the lost wagon train, if you go by the judges landmarks it should lie just north of monahans about 4 miles and right on or just outside the park boundries, if the other article which is posted here is correct it should be on the east side of the sand hills, i dont beleive an ordinary wagon train could make it throgh those hills, do a little hikeing there and you will know what i am talking about. elmer kelton the great western novelist was raised on the east side of the sandhils and his father stumbled across the old wagon train, as did many people over the years, he said as did others that the wagons although scorched were still intact he also found bones of what he said was a large prehistoric bird. any way best i remember researchers think they figured out which wagon train this was and it left yuma sometime in the 1860's carrying people back east who had struck it rich in the california goldfields, some say 9,000 pounds of the yellow stuff, the judge found the train in the early 1900's more to come

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read the link posted, which says the wagon train was headed west from fort worth to el paso, when i find it i will post a newspaper article i have from monahans in which a judge found the wagon train and a bunch of houshold goods,mineing tools made in san francisco ca, and the bolt of blue clothe and also some wooley mamoth bones which he plastered back together, he displayed this stuff along with territorial photographs, newspaper articles, and indian artifacts in a museum of sorts in the town of monahans run by him and his wife, after he died nobody took care of the museum and the stuff was distributed to austin, and a museum in alpine texas, and some going to the headquarters at the sand hills state park where they are on display, the park rangers are weary of people talking about the lost wagon train, if you go by the judges landmarks it should lie just north of monahans about 4 miles and right on or just outside the park boundries, if the other article which is posted here is correct it should be on the east side of the sand hills, i dont beleive an ordinary wagon train could make it throgh those hills, do a little hikeing there and you will know what i am talking about. elmer kelton the great western novelist was raised on the east side of the sandhils and his father stumbled across the old wagon train, as did many people over the years, he said as did others that the wagons although scorched were still intact he also found bones of what he said was a large prehistoric bird. any way best i remember researchers think they figured out which wagon train this was and it left yuma sometime in the 1860's carrying people back east who had struck it rich in the california goldfields, some say 9,000 pounds of the yellow stuff, the judge found the train in the early 1900's more to come

I look forward to reading your link.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Old Ben once took his son Roth with him to the mine, Roth said they camped at a spring, which he beleived was rustler springs and went on to the mine the next day, not more than six miles away, if you take fm 2119 north from pecos it pretty much dead ends at the old ghost town - duval sulpher mine, rustler springs is on this property many buildings, equipment and even the water tower still stand at this sight, ruster springs is poisinus and always was it is the sight of ancient paleo man who lived in caves there, many atifacts to be found, the archy's have the caves blocked and posted.
Now delaware spring would make more sense some of the only good drinking water in the area, there are houses nearby and most people say there has always been a structer of some sort at the spring for as long as anyone can remember, south of here is a rock formation called the chimneys, some say it is a volcano, if it is its the smallest one ive seen, the chimneys need more investigation, but beware there are archological excavations near this sight also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions