Bering Sea Gold season 3 - 12/13/13

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, ep 1 is over.

* Emily has her own ship, Eroica. I thought it was supposed to be Eurotica. She took The Edge from Zeke in a deal they made but it needed a ton of work. An engine blew up and that set off more Emily drama.

* Her idiot dad has a skiff appropriately named Minnow. I guess that makes him Gilligan.

* Meisterheim is working for a Christine Rose clone, a ship with a backhoe, called Au Grabber. He's not the captain, he works for someone else for once. I can't remember the guy's name, except it was a very ethnic German name.

* Zeke made a late appearance and sounds like he's losing his mind. He said during the winter he didn't shower or change his clothes for 3 months. In addition to Bunce's death, another friend of his committed suicide. I think this kid is in trouble.

* There was another guy who built the underwater sluice, but he lost it. He claims it floated off on an iceberg. I wouldn't be surprised if it was stolen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eroica is Italian for "heroic" and connects to her opera training. Cool choice :-)
Edited for stupid autocorrect...

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Name is Hank Schimschat AU Grabber Captain and owner of the AU Grabber. My brother went on that boat and worked it for the season to prove our sluices are more than just pretty :tongue3: As I recall on one of the first runs, our sluices pulled 1 ounce per hour on the output end of the main sluice on the boat,.
I'm confused you say your the "captain and owner", but sent your brother on the boat, not many captains send someone in their place. The show portrays the excavator "backhoe" operator as the "Owner/Builder" of the "dredge" which wouldn't make you or your product look very good if you are indeed the builder of the "dredge" and the guy that set up the disfunctional Main sluice. "blowing out over an ounce an hour" really? geez!
Actually I do like your sluice idea, it's the hollywood spin and BS I can't stand.
The Discovery Channel making miners look more and more incompetent and idiotic one episode at a time!

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This show needs to go. How does Emily come up with $60 grand to buyout Zeke? Discovery Channel. It's amazing that everyone has issues, again Discovery Channel, All the drama, again the Discovery Channel.I learned long ago not to waste my Friday night. I DVR and for the most part its running in FF to bypass the BS. Same for that clown called Hoffman. Has millions of dollars of equipment then switches to locating SALTED diamonds and buy a used machine for 24K to process diamonds. Discovery Channels is in the business of showcasing these fools and turning them into idiots.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Name is Hank Schimschat AU Grabber Captain and owner of the AU Grabber. This is the dredge our Gold Well sluices were on. Won't spoil it for anyone but this is where you all get to see just how good the Gold Well sluices really work ;) Have had some imply our sluices weren't able to run with the big dogs! Hah! Au Grabber is the biggest dog in Nome! My brother went on that boat and worked it for the season to prove our sluices are more than just pretty :tongue3: As I recall on one of the first runs, our sluices pulled 1 ounce per hour on the output end of the main sluice on the boat, that would otherwise have been blasted back into the ocean. They ended up using a bin and dumping the main sluices into it and then pulled the material from that bin to put through a 24" Gold Well setup (two 12" sluices side by side), to capture the gold that was being missed by the main sluice. The main sluice was 36" wide, running 1 foot deep with water. Won't say much more than that because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to watch the show.

you are the captain of the au grabber? one question if you please? assuming you watched the show, why in the world would you hire scott? I have seen maybe one or two people on the show with normal IQs

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
The creative editing done for the show portrays things quite differently from the way they really happened. The timeline shown is not really the way things happened, but hey, it makes things look better if everyone gets in the water about the same time. In reality the Au Grabber was on the doc for many weeks getting finished. The Minnow was not the first boat out, as you can clearly see from all the dredges in the background among the icebergs.

Emily is not the first female dredge owner, nor was she the first female dredger. There are a few others.

Zeke did strip and thrash my dredge, then turned it over to Emily to get running again. Unfortunately she doesn't know how to do much herself, so she ended up paying outrageous labor rates (granted the work quality was good). She made some comfort and luxury upgrades that she should have held off on until she got gold, it would have only taken $15k to replace the stuff Zeke took or ruined, not the $60k she spent.

The outboard catching fire was due to a very stupid bumper design the Army Corps of Engineers made on the Nome inner harbor. The bumpers don't go down deep enough, so in low fall tides, boats get stuck under them and pinned when the water rises. It causes thousands of dollars in damage a year to boats when people don't pay attention. Last fall, that outboard got pinned under the bumper, the housing crushed. Emily replaced the housing, but didn't get the outboard inspected for other damage.

And one quick note on the ice dredging season, if you take the gold Hehnlin and his crew (which included Zeke) got, and figure it by the hour, without subtracting expenses, it comes to about $40/hour, subtracting expenses, it's more like $15/hr. Definitely not worth it unless you live in Nome in the winter and have nothing else going on. And they were actually mining for 10 or 12 weeks to get that 78ozt, not the 5 weeks shown on the show.

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
you are the captain of the au grabber? one question if you please? assuming you watched the show, why in the world would you hire scott? I have seen maybe one or two people on the show with normal IQs

LP13 is not Hank, he was simply answering the above question as to what Hanks name is. LP13 is the guy that makes the cleanup sluice that Hank used. And I don't think he has the story right on the amount out the tailings, although it could be.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok thanks, he used we and us so I wondered. and you are whom? ( I mean anyone we have heard of on the show?)

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not on the show enough for you to notice, they wouldn't pay me enough nor do it right.

I designed and built (along with Hehnlin) the Ziggurat (Called the Edge, later rebuilt and called the Eroica).

I also designed and built the green ice hut used on the ice dredging show (called "The Clark VII").

Now I work on one of the most successful dredges in Nome, which has the only successful diver-less suction dredge operation in Nome. We operate at 50 to 70 feet. The other diver-less operations being the excavator-style CR (Christine Rose), the AU Grabber, the biggest of them all the JC (4 times bigger than Hank's). There are also a few other attempts at diver-less suction operations, but they don't make enough to cover fuel.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
would it be correct to deduce that the real miners laugh at the ones on this show? or does the show just make them all look like idiots?

I think old man pomranke seems the only real dude, the rest seem like clowns

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Most real miners don't watch. It is either too painful, infuriating, or comical. I try to watch it because I spend time trying to help people and I need to see what information they are getting. Still, I fast forward through most of it.

They do have some good footage sometimes. The camera people really do some neat work.

The Pomeranians get the gold now, but spent the first couple years with the CR not getting much. I'm just hoping that Shawn uses some of that gold and TV money to help support his five illegitimate kids and one grandkid. (Yes, that's right, he is a grandfather.) He used to run a 10" dredge and would buoy jump or otherwise follow people around to jump in their hole.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah I take shawn for an idiot. but the dredge looks like a good design. anyways nice to know there are actually humans up there (you)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also, is that town as dreary as it appears? ( anyone ever hear of a tree?)

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course there are trees, haven't you seen the movies. When the aliens come, the locals either climb a tree or go down into the basement.

Nome is a very trashy-looking town by some standards. But I like it. The confusing thing is how the locals complain about the miners being so messy. Most of the houses are run-down. I'm surprised the whole town doesn't burn down; luckily they have a very good fire department.

There are some wild trees within 100 miles.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ROFL. within 100 miles?? I doubt I could stand it

OP
OP
O

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's acted, but what about Zeke? He seemed to be coming unhinged and to what end?

Emily just makes herself a laughing stock. I mean, that scene in the truck where she was all hysterical even as the dude tries to calm her down was pathetic, really.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The entire show is scripted and the producers are making idiots out of everyone. Why would anyone want to join most of these dredging companies. For the most part those that dive are placing their lives in the palm of the hands of these these idiot who own the sub par equipment, but again we do not see what really goes on when the cameras are not rolling.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The entire show is scripted and the producers are making idiots out of everyone. Why would anyone want to join most of these dredging companies. For the most part those that dive are placing their lives in the palm of the hands of these these idiot who own the sub par equipment, but again we do not see what really goes on when the cameras are not rolling.
One thing that helps add a safety factor to the diving is the camera operator down there with the miner. ALWAYS good to dive with a buddy!

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ak au diver
Does anybody rent dredges up there ?

I had plans to go and dredge this last Sumer for a couple of weeks but things fell thru for me !
Work just got too busy and I could not leave and the fella I was going to dive for sold his dredge and is no longer in nome...
Any how iv got a manger hired and things look good to take a stab at it this summer .. Unfortunately I no longer have a contact up there..
I'm not looking to get rich just a working vacation with a chance to dredge a descent size dredge and maybe bring home some color to remember the trip...
Thanks for any info Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread