What's new

Best finds in the rain

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
4,253
Reaction score
1,627
Golden Thread
0
I went out for about 30 min. today, and the bottom dropped out on me. Got these before my shower.

image-696224663.webp



image-3700564985.webp



image-729093487.webp



image-4151609423.webp



image-3045049646.webp



image-1243674210.webp



image-165247673.webp



image-3922850467.webp



image-2162344916.webp



image-1587903339.webp



image-1355409411.webp



image-517746365.webp



image-1043557127.webp

Not too bad for finds and I'm clean!!
 
Upvote 0
The piece in the first photo is what I have been waiting to see you find and share. That sure is a beautiful little knife, and the material is awesome. ''Now your talking''! :icon_thumleft:
 
old digger said:
The piece in the first photo is what I have been waiting to see you find and share. That sure is a beautiful little knife, and the material is awesome. ''Now your talking''! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Digger! I too have waiting to post something like that. It is the only piece of that lithic I have. Plenty of flakes of it but tractors have chewed them up. It was worth getting wet, I didn't melt much. Thanks!!
 
I am with Digger. That first one is a nice artifact. I am trying to think what it is called... Hump back or turtle scraper? Is the top high?? Good looking stuff. Rain is going to be the theme this winter it looks like. Good hunt.
HH
TnMtns
 
Tnmountains said:
I am with Digger. That first one is a nice artifact. I am trying to think what it is called... Hump back or turtle scraper? Is the top high?? Good looking stuff. Rain is going to be the theme this winter it looks like. Good hunt.
HH
TnMtns

I have a few turtle scrapers. This one is different. It does have a high spot but I think that was for hafting to a handle. It has an edge on both sides. The turtle backs I have look as if the high part of the stone would be the handle. Thanks for the compliment. That makes my day more so than finding the blade!!
 
Looks like you are on a good spot with artifacts like that. I will take that hunt any day. Be safe!!
 
Tnmountains said:
Looks like you are on a good spot with artifacts like that. I will take that hunt any day. Be safe!!

Yes I have limited space to hunt now. Bow season!! I found these in a field that sits directly on a four lane road. US 501. The field can't be hunted because it is so close to the road. I think things through pretty well. Funny to find arrowheads under a billboard.
 
Yes I have limited space to hunt now. Bow season!! I found these in a field that sits directly on a four lane road. US 501. The field can't be hunted because it is so close to the road. I think things through pretty well. Funny to find arrowheads under a billboard.

I actually hunt at a place that has a large Bill Board in the field thats says " See Rock City" Had people pass on the freeway and call me while I was hunting and say my truck and say they saw me in the field. It is almost 50 miles from my house!! Got to get them where ever they may be.
 
State trooper stopped this past weekend to ask if I needed help. He thought I had car problems. I told him what I was doing and wound up talking to him for about thirty min. He is interested in the hobby. That is the bad thing about hunting in public. People wander what you are doing then they start looking your field. I don't mind people on my personal farm . I can't find them all, but I do want my competition limited.
 
I am new to this forum and just thought I would toss in my two cents on what you have there.
Your first is a "Flake" knife and what beautiful material it is.
The other finds are partials or nothing more that imagination at work.
I will over time post some information on Texas finds and just about whatever pops out.
Sometimes I will post something that is nothing more than just a "rock" but I will have opinions and will not try to sugarcoat my input.
I have been collecting Texas artifacts for 50+ years.
Have a good day and will catch you on the next post.

Bone2stone
 
bone2stone said:
I am new to this forum and just thought I would toss in my two cents on what you have there.
Your first is a "Flake" knife and what beautiful material it is.
The other finds are partials or nothing more that imagination at work.
I will over time post some information on Texas finds and just about whatever pops out.
Sometimes I will post something that is nothing more than just a "rock" but I will have opinions and will not try to sugarcoat my input.
I have been collecting Texas artifacts for 50+ years.
Have a good day and will catch you on the next post.

Bone2stone

Thanks for the compliment. The group pic is mainly debitage and a busted stemmed point. It was part of my day, so I posted them for the heck of it. The two large pieces are large or medium sized scrapers. Nothing special and the pic definitely doesn't add any thing to its glory. I feel pretty sure that every thing on this one was something. I'm in NC. Our stuff is not as vibrant as yall's stuff. Thanks for the input. I respect what you said, and will further study the small pieces. Happy hunting!!
 
Nice stuff. Good job finding those partials. I probably would have walked right over them!
 
skimel said:
Nice stuff. Good job finding those partials. I probably would have walked right over them!

I probably should have.lol! I figured since I washed them, why not show them
 
That first one looks green? Is that the natural color of the stone? Very nice on all of your finds.
 
Nice one for sure..looks like bannded rayolite is it?
 
rock said:
That first one looks green? Is that the natural color of the stone? Very nice on all of your finds.

I cheated a tad. I wet the stone for the pic. Just a touch of water makes it look a lot better.
 
Kinda like stage makeup. I've seen people oil their points.
 
I use to use mineral oil on my points to bring the color out but when it dries to goes back to the normal color in a few days. But if it isnt a slick stone it will ruin it. Flint and chert only and maybe jasper. If it is grainy dont do it.
 
"Just say no" to oiled points
 
Oil on points. I say no as well. Might go to pull them out the closet, and wham slick broken points. Scares me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom