Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was digging at one of my spots today and unearthed this big blue ceramic marble. It is 1.25 inches in size, and is the largest clay marble I have ever found.
20240105_160738.jpg

These big salt-glazed clay marbles were made in Imperial Germany by the millions starting in the 1870's. They came in several colors with brown and blue being the most common.
20240105_160753.jpg

Some historians say these marbles were so common in the 19th century that they were used in place of ballast in the holds of some German merchant ships.

The marbles are easy to identify as they always have two large white spots on them where they were in contact with the two other marbles that were arranged next to them during the firing process.

People call them Bennington marbles in reference to Bennington, Vermont which was renowned for its pottery, but this town never made clay marbles. There is still debate as to why people started calling them Bennington marbles.

Upvote 14

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting post and a great marble. Wow that’s a grand one!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was digging at one of my spots today and unearthed this big blue ceramic marble. It is 1.25 inches in size, and is the largest clay marble I have ever found.
View attachment 2124440

These big salt-glazed clay marbles were made in Imperial Germany by the millions starting in the 1870's. They came in several colors with brown and blue being the most common.
View attachment 2124439

Some historians say these marbles were so common in the 19th century that they were used in place of ballast in the holds of some German merchant ships.

The marbles are easy to identify as they always have two large white spots on them where they were in contact with the two other marbles that were arranged next to them during the firing process.

People call them Bennington marbles in reference to Bennington, Vermont which was renowned for its pottery, but this town never made clay marbles. There is still debate as to why people started calling them Bennington marbles.
Nice!!!! Ceramic marbles are fun to find!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions