What's new

Big cats in East TN

oh ya i have a friend that seen one sitting on top of a big round hay bail in in a field too,i think they are eating the huge population of wild turkeys round here too.im looking for them now but armed with a camera now i was told you cant shoot them

hey kuger they finally said that they just pass thru and not breeding as in staying around for awhile the day after seeing it it was on fox news about them covering it up.i think a friend of mine had something to do with the media.
They need to be asked"where are they going",and"why wouldnt they stay"?
 
oh ok thread is so long didnt read all of it sorry,ive herd them in west virgina,sound like a baby crying,so you think panthers are here too,could be its getting hotter here and a ton of turkeys around too.
 
kuger do you see any hit by cars,i think they are really smart as why we do not see them along side the road here so you have alot was wondering if you ever see any dead ones on the road?
 
Jamey,it took 27 years till I seen my first lion hit on the highway,and that was outside of Condon Montana,oddly enough the next was near Copperopolis Calif,the following year.(that was the largest female lion I have seen to this day)then in around 2000-2001,there was at least two hit on the Pacheco Pass in Calif,...oh,I worked one on Hwy. 17 Moody Curve outside Santa Cruz Calif in 2003(boy was that a story....but too long)Yes,it is VERY uncommon for them to be hit,they are ver intelligent,quick,and extremely cogniscent of their well being....they are not chance takers!
 
thanks kuger,thats what i thought,im not use to them so im still wary of them,the one i saw had a few pounds on me id say.i think they have plenty of food here,just wouldnt want to run up on one with cubs.i guess i could wear a mask on the back of my head,they say it would help
 
All I can say is maybe on the Cats in E.Tennessee. Am sure they cruise through but as a population. No. Never see the tracks and I track everything.You would think with the thousands and thousands of trail cams over salt holding deer all night all year we would have a picture. I get 1400 deer pics a week off one camera some weeks. Even though I have a good population of Bob cats I never get one on my trail cameras. Or if one was killed everyone has a camera now days so there would be a picture. Years ago I thought I saw a long black cat at dusk from my stand. I do not know. Light back in the mtns can be funny sometimes. I net work with other hunters all over Tn and that is never a topic.You can google and come up with hundreds of reports of sightings but no pics. If Jamey says he saw one I believe him. I hope they are here and we get a good population back. I like the idea of other predators being where they belong. Spent close to 450 hours last winter in S.E Tn in one or another tree:find: Saw a few bob cats but no big cats.
 
All I can say is maybe on the Cats in E.Tennessee. Am sure they cruise through but as a population. No. Never see the tracks and I track everything.You would think with the thousands and thousands of trail cams over salt holding deer all night all year we would have a picture. I get 1400 deer pics a week off one camera some weeks. Even though I have a good population of Bob cats I never get one on my trail cameras. Or if one was killed everyone has a camera now days so there would be a picture. Years ago I thought I saw a long black cat at dusk from my stand. I do not know. Light back in the mtns can be funny sometimes. I net work with other hunters all over Tn and that is never a topic.You can google and come up with hundreds of reports of sightings but no pics. If Jamey says he saw one I believe him. I hope they are here and we get a good population back. I like the idea of other predators being where they belong. Spent close to 450 hours last winter in S.E Tn in one or another tree:find: Saw a few bob cats but no big cats.

I don't deer hunt anymore... I don't have any good falls left!:laughing7:
Funny thing is, I was the design engineer for Wahoo Hunding Products.

But, I was wondering about some of the general locations you hunt?
I know several friends who hunt around Carter's Mountain. One told me about seeing a large black cat on top of the mountain there, he lives at Monteagle. I have had two others talk about large cats being seen on the Cumberland Plateau... none knew the other friends I have.
 
I don't deer hunt anymore... I don't have any good falls left!:laughing7:
Funny thing is, I was the design engineer for Wahoo Hunding Products.

But, I was wondering about some of the general locations you hunt?
I know several friends who hunt around Carter's Mountain. One told me about seeing a large black cat on top of the mountain there, he lives at Monteagle. I have had two others talk about large cats being seen on the Cumberland Plateau... none knew the other friends I have.

I used to hunt Carter mtn before they put the hwy in when I was just a kid maybe 16. We would go in by the gun store at the foot of the mtn. I forget the name of the place but shot competition against his son a couple of times. I am familiar with Wahoo but have not heard the name in some time. It was a good product from what I remember.
I have 1900 acres on Mobray Mtn over looking Sequatchie Valley towards the Cumberland Plateau . 560 on Suck creek beside Prentice Cooper. Around 1600 acres below Monteagle in Sweedens cove. I am also near you some on White mtn/ridge. Nice genetics in that area.
The time I thought I saw a black cat was at the base of Monteagle in the cove. I did not get a positive I.D. The angus were calving at that time but did not loose any.
I have seen some nice relics come from the Cleveland area. I am on a quest for a local made artifact arrow point from Mouse creek for my collection. Now that they have done a walk way around the creek all through town I am going to look strange down in the water as the walkers pass me by !! hahah I have relatives in Cleveland.
 
probably a pet got loose. One lion won't a population make. I ran into bears and lions fairly frequently here in SW Florida when I used to get out hunting. Call em panthers here.
 
You're right Maven. Jaguars have been sighted in New Mexico. The most recent sighting was in 2010 in the Burro Mountains near the NM, AZ border. The two jaguars were spotted by a group of people riding together in an ATV convoy. This sighting came one day after two mexicans in a pickup rolled into Lordsburg claiming to have seen the cats in the Burro Mts. I talked to locals who heard the story from the people riding the ATV's. There's no doubt what they saw. They described the animals as being far larger and muscular than a mountain lion. They said the black spots on the cats were very prominent. Black jaguars (Panthers) have always lived in the swamps of Southern Louisiana. I've known trappers and hunters who've glimpsed these elusive animals. Some have seen their tracks, not many. I've heard their screams and they absolutely do sound like a baby crying. You might convince a college student there's no jaguars in North America.. but not me. Although i have heard there are lots of hunters out there who've hunted for decades and NEVER seen a deer. So i suppose on the basis of that evidence you could conclude there are NO DEER in North America either. LOL
 
I live in the Shenandoah Valley in NW Virginia, very close to the George Washington National Forest. I have also seen a mountain lion, and then I was convinced of my sighting when the next night I heard it scream. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up!! They have a very distinctive call, so I was positive. Haven't seen nor heard one since.
 
Tnmountains...

I've hunted many of the same places you've talked about.

Wahoo went out of business in the first part of 2000... the loan shark(factor) they were using called the note.

Many strange people here in Cleveland... one more in the creek wouldn't even be noticed!:laughing7:

Best at ya!
-Wayne
 
You're right Maven. Jaguars have been sighted in New Mexico. The most recent sighting was in 2010 in the Burro Mountains near the NM, AZ border. The two jaguars were spotted by a group of people riding together in an ATV convoy. This sighting came one day after two mexicans in a pickup rolled into Lordsburg claiming to have seen the cats in the Burro Mts. I talked to locals who heard the story from the people riding the ATV's. There's no doubt what they saw. They described the animals as being far larger and muscular than a mountain lion. They said the black spots on the cats were very prominent. Black jaguars (Panthers) have always lived in the swamps of Southern Louisiana. I've known trappers and hunters who've glimpsed these elusive animals. Some have seen their tracks, not many. I've heard their screams and they absolutely do sound like a baby crying. You might convince a college student there's no jaguars in North America.. but not me. Although i have heard there are lots of hunters out there who've hunted for decades and NEVER seen a deer. So i suppose on the basis of that evidence you could conclude there are NO DEER in North America either. LOL

Your Mistaken My friend...Panther is another name for Mtn. Lion,a Jaguar is a Jaguar,and is more prone to Melanism...which is what causes animals to be Black.......there is no breed of Black Feline.I also would like to see your basis for Jaguars always being in Louisiana...surely if this were true there would be some mention or a picture of a proud hunter with one.I know coon hunting is big in the South,and most coon hounds will run/tree a feline just as quick as they will a coon.Also one of the greatest hunters of all time came from Louisiana(was responsible of practically extincting the black bear from Louisiana.....)Ben Lilly,I have read every book ever written about him and have never ever heard of a mention of a Jag.
They do indeed exist in Arizona/N.M.
 
Well.. I don't know what's in Louisiana.. or any other state I don't roam in. But, I do know large cats are in Tennessee.

The word "Panther" is a word used the same as saying "large cat".. and most of the time it's a large black cat.
It's been told time and time again... No one bread is called a panther, but most large black cats are called by this name if black.

If your name isn't Jesus Chris... I don't want to be told what isn't possible!:laughing7:
 
Well.. I don't know what's in Louisiana.. or any other state I don't roam in. But, I do know large cats are in Tennessee.

The word "Panther" is a word used the same as saying "large cat".. and most of the time it's a large black cat.
It's been told time and time again... No one bread is called a panther, but most large black cats are called by this name if black.

If your name isn't Jesus Chris... I don't want to be told what isn't possible!:laughing7:

what about the Pink one?
Panther is geographic.
I am not Jesus Christ,just want proof,I collect hunting/trapping pictures all the way back to Daguerreotype and have a library of books on the most famous lion/Jaguar,Bear hunters ever lived....show me something


Right from Wiki:

  • Panther (in North America), the cougar or mountain lion (Puma concolor)
    • Florida panther, a subspecies of cougar (Puma concolor coryi or Puma concolor couguar) found in southern Florida
  • Panther (in South and Central America), the jaguar (Panthera onca)
  • Black panther, a black variant of leopard, jaguar or cougar
  • White panther, a white or very pale variant of leopard, jaguar or cougar
  • Panther (legendary creature), a mythical creature resembling a large multicolored cat


Also Catfish....I am not some college kid.I am a guy that has worked,studied,controlled,and hunted professionally lions for close to 30 years.....
 
Last edited:
what about the Pink one?
Panther is geographic.
I am not Jesus Christ,just want proof,I collect hunting/trapping pictures all the way back to Daguerreotype and have a library of books on the most famous lion/Jaguar,Bear hunters ever lived....show me something

I wished I could have taken pictures when we buried the cougar on Signal Mountain. Now that was a farmer on a hell of a adrenaline rush... I'd never seen anyone from the South talk so fast!:laughing7:

I know you want proof.. bless your heart.. I wish I could provide it. I guess the only thing to do is just to file it away as "possible" until we have more to go on?

"Pink Panther"!!?? You no what's funny? Everyone has seen pictures and video of that cat!!
... but, is it real!? :icon_scratch:

The best at ya my friend!
-Wayne
 
I wished I could have taken pictures when we buried the cougar on Signal Mountain. Now that was a farmer on a hell of a adrenaline rush... I'd never seen anyone from the South talk so fast!:laughing7:

I know you want proof.. bless your heart.. I wish I could provide it. I guess the only thing to do is just to file it away as "possible" until we have more to go on?

"Pink Panther"!!?? You no what's funny? Everyone has seen pictures and video of that cat!!
... but, is it real!? :icon_scratch:

The best at ya my friend!
-Wayne

....hey,I know what"Bless your heart",means ...no need for that....I am from Missouri,just never been there :laughing7:
??I think we are off track...wasnt the signal Mtn cat,just a yellow lion?I never ever said there were no lions there,I also never said you didnt see a Black Lion(cat)I said there is not herds of them!!!!!
 
Kuger...

"I think we are off track...wasnt the signal Mtn cat,just a yellow lion?" Yeah, just saying, wish I had pictures or video of the event.

"I never ever said there were no lions there..". I know you didn't.

"I also never said you didnt see a Black Lion(cat)". I know, you're just a nice guy... unlike one of the guys on the S&W board who called me a liar!

"I said there is not herds of them!!!!". I don't know how many.. a lot of sittings.

"....hey,I know what"Bless your heart",means ...no need for that...". Just trying to be nice.

Now let me make you a drank... and we'll both sit back and watch the Pink Panther!:laughing7:
 
Kuger...

"I think we are off track...wasnt the signal Mtn cat,just a yellow lion?" Yeah, just saying, wish I had pictures or video of the event.

"I never ever said there were no lions there..". I know you didn't.

"I also never said you didnt see a Black Lion(cat)". I know, you're just a nice guy... unlike one of the guys on the S&W board who called me a liar!

"I said there is not herds of them!!!!". I don't know how many.. a lot of sittings.

"....hey,I know what"Bless your heart",means ...no need for that...". Just trying to be nice.

Now let me make you a drank... and we'll both sit back and watch the Pink Panther!:laughing7:

:icon_thumright:
 
All I can say is maybe on the Cats in E.Tennessee. Am sure they cruise through but as a population. No. Never see the tracks and I track everything.You would think with the thousands and thousands of trail cams over salt holding deer all night all year we would have a picture. I get 1400 deer pics a week off one camera some weeks. Even though I have a good population of Bob cats I never get one on my trail cameras. Or if one was killed everyone has a camera now days so there would be a picture. Years ago I thought I saw a long black cat at dusk from my stand. I do not know. Light back in the mtns can be funny sometimes. I net work with other hunters all over Tn and that is never a topic.You can google and come up with hundreds of reports of sightings but no pics. If Jamey says he saw one I believe him. I hope they are here and we get a good population back. I like the idea of other predators being where they belong. Spent close to 450 hours last winter in S.E Tn in one or another tree:find: Saw a few bob cats but no big cats.


the camera logic doesn't fly. No bigfoot has been caught on a trail camera, yet we know they exist. ( there's even a show about them)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom