big pots for NC Field Hunter

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I didn't want to put these into GaRebels thread, but I thought this question was really interesting. Any one want to pull theirs out and compare sizes? Sorry for the hodgepodge of picture, these are just some I grabbed from a couple of photo albums on photobucket.

Sorry to post this, it is irrelevant to your find, but I can't help my self. Gator, the pieces you have put together look like part of a huge pot. I'm curious, what is the largest pot found? An old timer told me that he found a complete piece, the size of a wash tub. Do you guys think he's being truthful?

Here I am holding a big one, after some restoration to strengthen the cracks. Big pottery is so heavy that it'll break under it's own weight if not supported properly.
IMG_5691.jpg

Side shot just in case someone things I'm holding it way out in front of the camera.
IMG_5692.jpg

Here is a big urn.

ec25688f-9f50-4297-a269-6dd4b86215a1_zpsd1a6f74d.jpg

Another urn with a lid.
IMG_2648Small.jpg

Another big one eroding out.
IMG_7362Large.jpg

Here is a big cooking griddle, this one is from the Caribbean, but many Mississippian groups cooked a corn cake on these.
102.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't want to put these into GaRebels thread, but I thought this question was really interesting. Any one want to pull theirs out and compare sizes? Sorry for the hodgepodge of picture, these are just some I grabbed from a couple of photo albums on photobucket.

Here I am holding a big one, after some restoration to strengthen the cracks. Big pottery is so heavy that it'll break under it's own weight if not supported properly.

Side shot just in case someone things I'm holding it way out in front of the camera.

Here is a big urn.

Another urn with a lid.

Another big one eroding out.

Here is a big cooking griddle, this one is from the Caribbean, but many Mississippian groups cooked a corn cake on these.

Thanks for answering my question! Nice finds! I mean really nice!!

Do not a lot of these large pots finish their life as a burial urn in later cultures? I remember seeing these particular ones when you hunted south of the border.

if one happens to find something like that on a private piece of property...perhaps...get some bulletproof provenance documents...
85%of Arizona is federal or state owned land...
native reservations(more than anywhere in the nation),
forests, national parks and monuments...

VERBOTTEN! big arrest. jail, bigger fines...loss of property..ect...

TN...yes...many cultures buried ceramics with the dead...many times one will find multiple bodies under the floor of a habitation.

Last edited:
Yep, digging on federal property in the US is big no-no. Again, just for clarity these aren't from the US, nor are they in the US.

TnMt, yes, these big urns were commonly used as ossuaries in many parts of the world. In the Southern Caribbean they used as both water storage as well as ossuaries. Most of the contents were excavated by expeditions from the 1920's thru 1950's and what's left is the urn, and associated artifacts around them.

Thank you for those insitu. Pics.

Yep, digging on federal property in the US is big no-no. Again, just for clarity these aren't from the US, nor are they in the US.

TnMt, yes, these big urns were commonly used as ossuaries in many parts of the world. In the Southern Caribbean they used as both water storage as well as ossuaries. Most of the contents were excavated by expeditions from the 1920's thru 1950's and what's left is the urn, and associated artifacts around them.

They would be kinda convenient is my guess. I know they used them here that way and also built stone lined crypts prior to using the vessel . I imagine with heat it was important to do quickly. Very cool finds. I know you enjoyed your adventures out of country years ago and always enjoyed seeing the old pictures of the middens.
Thank you for sharing very educational.

Whoa...I'd pee my pants if I dug something like that. Literally. And I wouldn't even care.

Really enjoyed seeing those. I've thoroughly enjoyed almost all of your posts on here. They've caused me to research south/central. America as well and I've learned a lot. The commonalities between so many cultures as well as the territory covered by separate cultures is very intriguing to me. In researching more in those areas it left me with as many questions as it did lessons learned. Thanks again for showing these and sharing so much here. Truly. Amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back