Big Silver X 2...Best Day Ever!!!

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got up this morning and decided to find a new spot to swing (not having any luck for months finding silver...was getting jaded a bit :grin:).

I hit the south side of town and literally turned onto a random road. Didn't have a good feeling about it and was going to do a U-turn but someone was right on my tail so I turned into a ghetto neighborhood to turn around. I noticed that the topography was kind of extreme so I thought there must be a lake/pond nearby so I thought 'what the heck, maybe I can find water and then dig some old headstamps on the edge'.

Instead the road dead-ends into a pond. Lots of trash in the ground but I wanted to cover some ground so I left the 12" coil on the MXT. The area appeard to be fill dirt b/c the drop-off to the water was like a 40* angle at the edge of the pond.

I hit a bit of clad and was turning around to head for the truck and got a solid 91 on the VDI @ 2"....I was thinking...yeah right. Stuck the tip of my Lesche in the sand to loosen it up and stuck my finger in the sand....felt a smooth round object. out pops BEN FRANKLIN!!! I'm super stoked, especially at this non-descript park in the hood that I thought was fill dirt!

I'm still on a silver high and walk about 20' away and get a 94 on the VDI @ 3"....at this point I'm thinking....'yeah right'. Same drill with the lesche....out pops a silver Voyager dollar in a necklace holder. I'm about to faint (or wake up from a dream!).

I swung a bit more, but had to bail b/c I want to mow the yard before it rains. I have about 90% of the park left to cover!!!!! YES!!!!

Perfect digging ground too....dry sand with very little vegetation.

Any-who....here are the pics! (This is my SECOND Voyager dollar I have found in THREE MONTHS).

Any ideas on the lead balls?

2012-04-15_12-10-25_346.jpg

041512121657.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

OP
OP
gordonquixote

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all.

The Frankin half is my first as well...very excited about both though. It is a bit confounding that I've now found two silver Canadian Voyager dollars here in Florida. They are a long way from home!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice scouting! Is it possible the fill you are speaking of, is sand from the coast somewhere? CARM

OP
OP
gordonquixote

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carm.....it's just on sandy N FL dirt. Pretty typical in the pine flatwoods/wet areas here

Thanks again...still pumped up over the finds! haha

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds , love that big Canadian silver !
Glen

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome...I've never seen the dollar coin before.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice finds.:hello2:
I have yet to find one of those silver dollars on this side of the border. Congrats.
ZDD

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on silver,:icon_thumleft: especially that Canadian silver dollar. Florida has been a very popular destination for Canadians for many years and you are right...it is a long way from home! Florida is a beautiful state that I've had the privilege of visiting....and maybe will be able to do so again sometime....Again..nice finds!

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's hot man!

I will say this, some of my best days out were just random areas I found while driving. No research done whatsoever.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta tell ya, it looks like there was another coin or object in the ground with that canadian coin, judging from the circle on the front without toning or darkening. You'll wanna recheck that hole. :)

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread