Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks just like a whitetail deer tooth(molar), but too big...a big deer. ::)

Upvote 0

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA
It looks like one that I found on our farm a couple of years ago. Paleontologist at Cincinnati Museum of Natural History identified mine as the last molar in lower jaw of bison. Yours appears to be worn down more than mine, probably from an older animal. Question is, modern bison (bison bison) or bison antiquus. Antiquus became extinct around 10,000 years ago.

Attachments

• tooth6.jpg
    tooth6.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 469
  • tooth5.jpg
    tooth5.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 459
  • tooth4.jpg
    tooth4.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 473
  • tooth3.jpg
    tooth3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 482
  • tooth2.jpg
    tooth2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 473
  • tooth1.jpg
    tooth1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some too! The biggest one yesterday and the smaller one last week. I'm thinking these belonged to a deer.

I want to think the ones posted above are equine.

;) RR

Attachments

• teeth.jpg
    teeth.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 518
  • teeth2.jpg
    teeth2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nail Digger said:
It looks like one that I found on our farm a couple of years ago. Paleontologist at Cincinnati Museum of Natural History identified mine as the last molar in lower jaw of bison. Yours appears to be worn down more than mine, probably from an older animal. Question is, modern bison (bison bison) or bison antiquus. Antiquus became extinct around 10,000 years ago.
Found one simmilar,took it to the museum of nat.history in N.Y.C and was told it was horse or possibly bison.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nail Digger said:
The grinding surfaces are VERY similar in design, angle and shape between our tooth finds. So far your's is the closest grinding surface I have seen yet. I notice that your's still has color the way mine does. From all that I have seen, after 10,000 - 20,000 years or so, most tooth finds become that famous two tone color. Black and tan, black and gray and so on. If that is the case, then, I am guessing mine is less than 10,000 years. What do I know? I am a comm tech. I have not had a paleo look at it, because, the M of NS here apparently does not staff REGULAR paleos. From what I have read there are visiting and guest paleos. I normally don't have the time when they do. Maybe I will get around to finding a college student at U of H or something. Thanks a million.

This came from the a river here in southeast Texas. Don't know if that would help with anything.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can offer is large herbavore , Elk, bison, moose? Monty.....even a big cow?

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Found similar in UK.

Mines a Cow.

Attachments

• tooth.JPG
    tooth.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 419
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 433
Upvote 0

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Will.Root.For.Patriots.Against.The.Chargers said:
Nail Digger said:
The grinding surfaces are VERY similar in design, angle and shape between our tooth finds. So far your's is the closest grinding surface I have seen yet. I notice that your's still has color the way mine does. From all that I have seen, after 10,000 - 20,000 years or so, most tooth finds become that famous two tone color. Black and tan, black and gray and so on. If that is the case, then, I am guessing mine is less than 10,000 years. What do I know? I am a comm tech. I have not had a paleo look at it, because, the M of NS here apparently does not staff REGULAR paleos. From what I have read there are visiting and guest paleos. I normally don't have the time when they do. Maybe I will get around to finding a college student at U of H or something. Thanks a million.

This came from the a river here in southeast Texas. Don't know if that would help with anything.
Well, as a student of biology, and an amateur paleo, I can tell you that most likely it is modern, and probably a horse. UT Austin has some great paleo guys, but I think what you really want is a large animal vet or a mammalian biology guy.,

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I say horse too, even before reading what other have wrote. \

HH

Upvote 0

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:o WOW :o

Now that is a tooth indeed! ;D

I am sooooo glad you posted this entry Will.Root.For.Patriots.Against.Colts for I had found what I thought was just an interesting piece on the beach shore a bit back but thought not too hard on it till reading over your post

I figured it was possibly a piece of bone.
My Sister thought it was the foot bone of a duck.
My Brother claims it could possibly be a Beaver tooth.
Again myself, didn't matter just thought it was cool ;D
Size is more or less 1 & a half inches

Bogart :D

Attachments

• 4tooth2.gif
    4tooth2.gif
    47.5 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bogeymcq said:
:o WOW :o

Now that is a tooth indeed! ;D

I am sooooo glad you posted this entry Will.Root.For.Patriots.Against.Colts for I had found what I thought was just an interesting piece on the beach shore a bit back but thought not too hard on it till reading over your post

I figured it was possibly a piece of bone.
My Sister thought it was the foot bone of a duck.
My Brother claims it could possibly be a Beaver tooth.
Again myself, didn't matter just thought it was cool ;D
Size is more or less 1 & a half inches

Bogart :D
hey, bogey. yours looks like a cow tooth to me. been a few years since i have seen one. i used to age cows at a sale barn. checking the wear on the teeth is an idicator of its age, since, most cows eat at the same most of their lives. you reach into that snotty nose with the thumb and first two fingers and pull down on the lower lip with the other hand. the amount of dentin that is visible is the age indicator. i could get them within 4 months or so of their actual age. i could be wrong about your tooth though. its been 10 years since i looked into a cows mouth. GL at the beach!

Laater...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions