What's new

Bitter Sweet

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes when I am out hunting and find something good I will send NC (Rusty) a instu pic. Today I went and found a heart breaker fit just for Valentines Day. I sent NC a photo and he replied bitter sweet lol, thanks. So I named this thread after NC. I know what it looks like but is there enough of the base to know? If somebody knows please do tell. Thanks, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_2743.webp
    100_2743.webp
    110.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_2744.webp
    100_2744.webp
    127.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_2746.webp
    100_2746.webp
    120.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_2747.webp
    100_2747.webp
    135.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_2752.webp
    100_2752.webp
    148.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_2753.webp
    100_2753.webp
    142.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_2755.webp
    100_2755.webp
    141.4 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0
Tells me that there are some killers in that area. Good luck!

741329d1360885700t-bitter-sweet-100_2752.jpg
 
I agree that your area has potential. Time and preseverance should pay off.
 
Poor thing....what a shame
 
So what type do you guys think? On the base I dont see a flute but it does have a over shot flake removal showing. I thought maybe Candy Creek but they didnt have over shot only scattered flaking. So maybe the C word or Dalton? Also the others posted are they points? Not the last one I just liked the color of it.
 
Quad? Redstone? Just throwin out ideas...
 
Now that I say redstone it sounds really stupid....
 
Rock!! Thanks for sending me the pics. Bitter sweet is the perfect fit. I think it is a hardaway/dalton transition. Here is one and only one I have!

image-106676008.webp



image-2303503666.webp
 
Sounds about right with Dalton NC. just thinking.... the point had no flute and I don't see obvious grinding...could be a Dalton Colbert..those could be archaic or paleo.. 5000-10000 BP. Its not a Clovis.
 
Last edited:
Hey! Today I found this piece. I think it's a Dalton, Hardaway or some place in between. It's in bad shape.

image-645313235.webp



image-1332885689.webp

Crazy!
 
So now I am confused as what mine is. I did go look for a while and Dalton fits more for my area. See if this helps.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2764.webp
    100_2764.webp
    301 KB · Views: 126
rock said:
So now I am confused as what mine is. I did go look for a while and Dalton fits more for my area. See if this helps.

Look up hardaway as well. They are both transitional points. Don't let my piece of do do throw you off. It is pretty much a waster. My 2nd piece that is. If you have Dalton in your area, I'm willing to bet Hardaway is found there as well. What is yours? A nice find!!
 
So now I am confused as what mine is. I did go look for a while and Dalton fits more for my area. See if this helps.


It is a shame when you just find the base or a complete tip without the base. I was looking at point types in your area and the base resembles a ''Simpson'' or ''Union'', but that is a guess without it being all there.
 
Wish it was a whole one. You are in a good field this time.
 
Last edited:
It is a shame when you just find the base or a complete tip without the base. I was looking at point types in your area and the base resembles a ''Simpson'' or ''Union'', but that is a guess without it being all there.

There is no flute wouldn't be Simpson for sure.
 
Wish it was a whole one. You are in a good field this time.

It is the same field as all the other points I have found. In that field I have found all periods from this one to Mississippian points. So that could be 10k BP to 1500 BP. And that is where I came up with the statement from the scraper thread. You can see in my avatar another early base. I found it in the same spot with a crude Yadkin.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom