What's new

Black Button - Can you help date it? **** Solved

RelicHunterBob

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brookline, NH
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, DFX
Another button found in a Militia/Muster field in Southern NH. Front and back are solid black. The backmark is "TREBLE GILT" and "STAND. COL.". After the "COL." is a small "R" and possible a "." under. I believe the "STAND. COL.". stands for STANDARD COLOURS. Maybe the the "R" is for registered? In the The Emilio Collection of Military Buttons book on-line I saw that a military button from 1794-1802 had the same backmarks with no reference to the "R".
http://books.google.com/books?id=L3...a=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPR1,M1 Page 5 # 17. Button is 16.60 mm

Would this be a Colonial Button from 1794-1802? What would the "R" be for?


Thanks for looking!

HH

Bob K
 

Attachments

  • Muster 002.webp
    Muster 002.webp
    75.2 KB · Views: 354
  • Muster 005.webp
    Muster 005.webp
    93.6 KB · Views: 347
Re: Black Button - Can you help date it?

think your correct
 
Re: Black Button - Can you help date it?

Hi Bob
You're right about the Stand Col standing for Standard colour. The small r is an extention of the abbreviation of colour.
 
Re: Black Button - Can you help date it?

vayank54 said:
Hi Bob
You're right about the Stand Col standing for Standard colour. The small r is an extention of the abbreviation of colour.

Thanks vayank54. I didn't know that!

HH

Bob K
 
I am fairly certain your button is from a later period, more like 1820s-40's by the shank, impressed back mark and being a two-piece button. (It is a two-piece button?)

Don
 
I agree with Don on the dates. I lean toward the later date though. no offence Don.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom