bluejackets legendary silver

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello , I,m new here . the name that I go by is Gray Flint . I hope by me joining this site I become more educated and or leave some one else the smarter.

I started out hunting arrowheads with my wife kids & metal detecting with my father n uncles as a child . It has not only been my hobby as to find lost things ,but yet learn their history and value an such . More recently I have added prospecting to my arsenal . no really I made a 12 ft sluice , shaker/ classifier ,2 types of vortex classifiers ect .. overboard maybe , but why not .lol. Any ole who , I have property that I have always arrowhead hunted and when I started prospecting I got written permission to prospect gather , collect and take ownership of any an all finds . artifact , fossil and or minerals .

O.K. now I will get to the telling of my claim . As goes , My son and I found in Greene county Ohio , location not available at this time ,but may become more clearer if enough interests are raised . I have had some ore that I had found tested at a refinery in Jackson Ohio . Test show copper , silver , platinum & rhodium along with 9 other exotic metal elements in native ore formation . my 8 year old son found one that weighs over 1 1/2 lb . can you say college .lol.

while researching my findings it lead me to alot of folk lure . like the Shawnee silver , black hoofs silver , Tecumseh / bluejacket , 2 caesar creek prehistoric silver mines , 2 silver mines in Yellow springs and bluejackets 2 silver mines off devils backbone in Wilberforce . All locations in Greene county Ohio . My biggest lead came from an old wise tail that goes as such , when the Shawnee sent out the scouts to collect the silver that was to be used for trade with the Brits for arms and ammo . the only directions giving to unfamiliar scouts was simply follow the trail of the tears of silver . this would led you to the mother load , this was what was between the lines or was it a literal meaning as how to find it .
I beleive it to be literal dirrections as where to look . once again my past research turned a light on . 1 of the thirteen elements found in my ore is essential for certain exotic plants to in habit an area . now armed with this info I look up one of o kind exotic plants in or around Greene co. Gues what one of them I found was called " tears of silver " discovery rocks .

I have more to tell if anyone is interested. this story is just starting .

thnx 4 reading , GRAYFLINT

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Grayflint,

Very Interesting story and nice piece. I re-sized your image for easier viewing.

H_S

GREYFLINT.jpg

OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thnx much . I still tryn to get the pix right . I posted 2 more pix in the my best finds forum

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
24 oz. silver nugget? Wow!

I don't quite understand the platinum and rhodium content though.

Both platinum and rhodium are often indications of meteorites, though. But usually in small trace amounts.

Care to share the percentages of Cu, Ag, Pl, and Rh?

OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know Dexter n never heard of him. sounds like the man to meet . I would like to find the cache that the shawnee cheif blackhoof hide up stream of the little miami river , for it is my belief if found one could match it to my ore . this could answer several poundering ?

OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please entertain this ? . If this turns out to by what I have always believed .how significant of a find do you all believe this to be . historically and scientifically . your prospective can be very helpful and very , very helpful to me and my son .

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Don't know if this is what you are asking for. But here goes:

Platinum, Osmium, Iridium, Palladium and some other Rare Earth Metals (REM's) are associated with meteorite strikes. I have no information on silver associated with them. Meteorites are typicallly a combination of iron and nickel, with very small percentages of the above metals.

Recently it has been suggested that surface gold is also associated with meteorite impacts.

kybob

Greenie
Nov 26, 2007
Hi Gray Flint
The Silver nugget you found could have came from Glacial deposit. I have a map of Ohio Glaciers I will attach which may help you. kybob

Attachments

• Glacial Map of Ohio.jpg
    Glacial Map of Ohio.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 815
OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that does interest me a hole lot . the idea that it could be from a meteorite . I heard that there are iridium mines under serpent mound . my findings are coming out of small waterway that has a very wide flood plain .both in the water and some very nice finds in key spots of the flood plain. let me scan the test results tonite and then I'll post

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
You have an interesting sample, grayflint.

Your analysis indicates:

6% Cadmium Cd
26.9% Silver Ag
2.88% Palladium Pd
45% Copper Cu
4% Iron Fe
1.2% Tin Sn
2.6% Tellurium Te
1.9% Indium In
1.8% Rhodium Rh

The most interesting element, in my opinion, is Indium (In). The reason is simple. An isotope of Indium (115 In) has a half-life of 4.41 X 10.14 years. That's 4.41 times 100,000,000,000,000 years. Another way of expressing that is 4.41 times 10 trillion years.

OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not have a very good understanding of what you just said . does what you said mean its hazardous , radio active or ? PLZ educate me sir . why did u not list the last 4 elements ? any idea as to what this stuff should be called . in ur opinion ,do you think I am right or wrong as to whether or not its man made .I think its naturally formed if it had been smelted wouldn't some of the element had been burned off and not present . I also believe it is worth more the way it sit rather than selling it for its contents to be recovered (smelted) .now back to the legend its my understanding that the Shawnee put a curse on their silver load claiming death to all white-man that tried to recover the silver . kinda sounds right just by the presents of the Cd . I had one 90 something year old gentleman tell me what I had must be what he remembered his grandfather call " The Devils Gold " he suggested for me to heed his words and not do anything with it on my own ,but i should pass it on / sell it to a wiser man . to me when an elder speaks i should listen tentatively .plz express your thats on this to me .

OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I am enjoying a cup of joe . bad habbit for me . ever since my service time 20 yrs ago I still get up at 5:30 .lol

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning greyflint: :coffee2: :coffee2: me too. I rather suspect that your specimen is not local, since the silver appears a bit rounded.This suggests the possibility of Glacier or local water movement. Water movement also suggests not 'too' far from it's birthplace.

I suggest that you assemble an inexpensive GEO chemical kit and start testing the soil and water to see it the source is local, and to finally locate it.

good luck.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Your Ag / Cu ratio appears very good.

OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lean toward the notion that it is not far from where it origanates from .

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
grayflint said:
I do not have a very good understanding of what you just said . does what you said mean its hazardous , radio active or ? PLZ educate me sir . why did u not list the last 4 elements ? any idea as to what this stuff should be called . in ur opinion ,do you think I am right or wrong as to whether or not its man made .I think its naturally formed if it had been smelted wouldn't some of the element had been burned off and not present . I also believe it is worth more the way it sit rather than selling it for its contents to be recovered (smelted) .now back to the legend its my understanding that the Shawnee put a curse on their silver load claiming death to all white-man that tried to recover the silver . kinda sounds right just by the presents of the Cd . I had one 90 something year old gentleman tell me what I had must be what he remembered his grandfather call " The Devils Gold " he suggested for me to heed his words and not do anything with it on my own ,but i should pass it on / sell it to a wiser man . to me when an elder speaks i should listen tentatively .plz express your thats on this to me .
Last 4 elements:

Rubidium 0.6% Ru
Molybdium 0.8% Mo
Niobium 0.14% Nb
Manganese 2.19% Mn

Of the above, Rubidium and Niobium are considered Rare Earth Elements (REMs).

115 Indium is very slightly radioactive, with an extremely long half-life. A half-life is what happens when an element gives off a particle, changing it to another isotope. When it comes to radioactivity, you want to be careful of isotopes which have SHORT half-lifes. You get more radiation from the sun each day than 115 Indium gives you.

Doesn't look man-made to me. But my opinion doesn't count much here. Many of the REMs that I would expect to be present, such as Iridium and Palladium are absent, so probably not meteoritic in origin ... or at least the fire assay you had done was not accurate on their concentrations.

If your sample is representative of the lode, looks VERY workable. If you are concerned about your elder's reference, let your son work the site. I think that would be 7 generations, wouldn't it? I don't think you need to worry about radioactivity for this sample.

OP
OP
grayflint

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it did show a small percent of palladium . or is that not enough for a conclusion ? . thx 4 the education on the half life . had no clue .

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Most platinum group metals not accurate in fire assay, especiallly with smaller samples.

Palladium is normally present in the parts per million range in common rocks like basalt and lava.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning tuberale: You posted -->Most platinum group metals not accurate in fire assay, especiallly with smaller samples.
I agree, from the type of report it was not a fire assay , but one of theothers,

(AA: atomic absorption spectrometry; ICP: Inductively Coupled Plasma - Atomic Emission Spectrometer; ICP-MS: Inductively Coupled Plasma - Mass Spectrometer)

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.s. for your information -->
The bulk of
the material in glacial tills, however, is of 'relatively local origin'.
Chamberlin (1883) estimated that 90 percent of the material
in the moraines of southern Wisconsin traveled less than 1 mile,
and studies of the glacial boulders in northern New Brunswick'
show that the most abundant rock type is a fairly reliable indication
of the lithology of the bedrock directly beneath. Thus,
although a few glacial erratics have traveled a very great distance
from the source, the overwhelming majority of pebbles
and boulders contained in glacial till are of local origin.

In glacial soils, a spacing of as much as 500 feet
may be effective in locating glacially dispersed patterns.

An occasion may arise, however, where an element is bound up
in the sample in more than one way, and where the mechanism of
binding is related to the source of the element, whether normal
rock or a mineral deposit. Such a situation is found in glacial
soil, where part of the metal content is tied up in the lattice
structure of primary rock-forming silicate minerals of no economic
interest, and part originates from nearby ores by ground-water
circulation and is loosely held by adsorptive forces. Here it would
be highly desirable to differentiate the metal according to its two
modes of origin. A weak extraction procedure adequate to remove
the exchangeable metal, but not strong enough to break up the
primary silicates, might give a better indication of the economically
important dispersion pattern than a method involving total
extraction of the metal

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Grayflint,

The comment about iridium form under Serpent mound is fascinating..there was a large meteorite the exploded on impact or above the area near Serpent mound, in fact if you go to the little down north of the mound you can look around and suddenly realize you are in a crater that has sides 10 miles in diameter.
I too have found some of the silver mines..even some 12 miles west of chillicothe that were no doubt dug out by Indians or residents of the Viking Fort that was on top of the hill across from knockemstiff(See Squire and Davis "Ancient monuments of the Mississippi Valley 1847 Plate IV another great story there) which is in site of the former Indian villiage and mounds near the upper and lower creeks. Indians supposedly wiped em out because they would eat Indians. Also giant skeletons have been found near there. We should get together and compare notes.

Curtis (Dexter)

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Grayflint, I'm from Ohio and as an astute researcher of everything and anything treasure related (as it pertains to Ohio), have put together quite an interesting bit of information on ancient silver/lead mines of Ohio. if you would like to get together some time and exchange some information on this topic, let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread