Boat ownership.......the pitfalls and the pleasures....

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ram,

I don't want to paint the outside, and I think an African Queen or scruffy Scow look is always desirable on a shipwreck hunter ha ha

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ram,

I don't want to paint the outside, and I think an African Queen or scruffy Scow look is always desirable on a shipwreck hunter ha ha
Lol! I can see that. I think I have located the springs I need. Looks like I'll order them tonight along with along with a bunch of small parts for the trailer.

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ram,

Just make sure you give her a perfectly tacky name like "Booty Hunter", hand painted with a barn paint brush.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God bless you SADS. THE ADMIRAL and I just sold a 31 footer (Pearson sailboat) I had bought thinking I could work on it to bring it back to Bristol. Kept ahead of annual maintenance but getting the old cosmetic ills fixed was a time eater. We just sold it this past summer; better than I bought her but much still to go. A young, ambitious guy got a great deal and I'm glad he has youth and enthusiasm. That's just what she needed.

Bought a 17 footer that cost less to purchase than insurance and slip fees cost annually on the 31 footer. What a relief - though we're not going to get out of visual of shore and it does limit a lot - but also opens up trailering further (and trailering is a LOT faster than sailing).

Good luck with your project.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just make sure you give her a perfectly tacky name like "Booty Hunter", hand painted with a barn paint brush.
Gonna call her Jason and the treasure punters. How's that??

Charlie, good for you, glad to hear your downsizing and up using.......

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you did your transom repair did you leave the original skin of the boat in place and remove the rotted wood?

I left the exterior skin, but the interior was pretty rough, so I pulled it. I then built up a new interior skin and poured the composite in. I did a little bracing, but not enough. It bowed out and was 2" thick at the edge (where it couldn't flex) and about 2.5" thick at the center.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I left the exterior skin, but the interior was pretty rough, so I pulled it. I then built up a new interior skin and poured the composite in. I did a little bracing, but not enough. It bowed out and was 2" thick at the edge (where it couldn't flex) and about 2.5" thick at the center.
Your interior skin, was that just a couple layers of matting and resin?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
SADS, A couple suggestions:
Add stringers all the way to the transom.
When glassing, use torn, not cut matte (Edges) between (before) every layer of woven material. You don't want a neat hard edge on matte.
Grind all surfaces and clean with acetone to activate the molecules on the surface to be glassed.
If more than 24 hours elapsed between layers has passed, regrind.
A 50/50 resin to cloth ratio is recommended.
Add drain holes everywhere water can be trapped.
Use a white gelcoat with wax on the entire interior before decking.
Use only gelcoat on the deck as a finish coat.I built new and repaired boats professionally for 20 years, so if you have any question, just ask.
John

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna call her Jason and the treasure punters. How's that??

Charlie, good for you, glad to hear your downsizing and up using.......

HA! That would be the tackiest name, I say go for it! :laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SADS, A couple suggestions:
Add stringers all the way to the transom.
When glassing, use torn, not cut matte (Edges) between (before) every layer of woven material. You don't want a neat hard edge on matte.
Grind all surfaces and clean with acetone to activate the molecules on the surface to be glassed.
If more than 24 hours elapsed between layers has passed, regrind.
A 50/50 resin to cloth ratio is recommended.
Add drain holes everywhere water can be trapped.
Use a white gelcoat with wax on the entire interior before decking.
Use only gelcoat on the deck as a finish coat.I built new and repaired boats professionally for 20 years, so if you have any question, just ask.
John

Wow so many of my questions answered in one post! I was still trying to figure out how to ask them!

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SADS, A couple suggestions: Add stringers all the way to the transom. When glassing, use torn, not cut matte (Edges) between (before) every layer of woven material. You don't want a neat hard edge on matte. Grind all surfaces and clean with acetone to activate the molecules on the surface to be glassed. If more than 24 hours elapsed between layers has passed, regrind. A 50/50 resin to cloth ratio is recommended. Add drain holes everywhere water can be trapped. Use a white gelcoat with wax on the entire interior before decking. Use only gelcoat on the deck as a finish coat.I built new and repaired boats professionally for 20 years, so if you have any question, just ask. John

Hi John, Thanks for the info, I am happy to announce Francis was probably taught by you ! Ha ha he follows everyone of your suggestions except the Gelcoat stuff that we haven't got to yet but I will ensure your suggestions are followed if you didn't teach him that bit......

Got a question though.........would you have just glass on the transom or an Aluminium plate too? On the top that is for the engine to rest on.....

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Just read throu5 this thread. Sadds you are doing an awsome job. I too had to redo my axle, leaf springs, and the spring holders last summer. I too need to get my kid to the sandbars more often. The family loves it when we go. Thanks for the inspiration.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Inspiration?? Guess what's wrong with my trailer, yep you guessed it needs 4 new hubs and a weld job on the winch..........sigh.....rain today so no fiberglass ing

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Must be something going around with these trailers!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeh, they suck!!
Lol! My springs are going to be expensive shipping. I hate living in such a rural place.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lol! My springs are going to be expensive shipping. I hate living in such a rural place. sent from a potato with gravy!!...

You wanna live here the customs charge 42% duty on the item, the shipping and any insurance for the shipping,

screw it I'm not putting new springs on it I am gonna weld the axles to the trailer.....

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dyna core ( white) sitting on the closed cell foam which is cut with a bread knife to shape after a template or measurements are done

image-1516833274.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You wanna live here the customs charge 42% duty on the item, the shipping and any insurance for the shipping,

screw it I'm not putting new springs on it I am gonna weld the axles to the trailer.....
I'd love to live where you do. Except of course for the price of goods. Is there much industry there? Sounds like the cost of living is sky high?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread