What's new

bone needle

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I found a really thin bone pin at first. I'm pretty sure this had an eyelet at one time. This is a first for me. Can't belive this was never snapped in half.

ForumRunner_20121227_193019.webp



ForumRunner_20121227_193109.webp



ForumRunner_20121227_193305.webp
 
Upvote 0
I agree & that's a nice find. You are lucky to have found something like that nearly complete.
 
Thanks! Pretty stoked.. nice tip too.

ForumRunner_20121227_201853.webp
 
Cool find, hard to believe such a fragile looking piece has such little damage. Bone is tough stuff, thanks for the view.
 
Sweet :icon_thumright: no doubt there was an eye there
 
Thanks guys. Its looking good in a frame now.

ForumRunner_20121228_122227.webp
 
Gator, nice piece. Are you sure that's not actually a notch and it may have been a Bone Projectile Point?
 
The only thing I'm sure of at this point is that the concave portion that is visible didn't break that way. The ends that would have been broken if it were a needle aren't jagged but I'm not sure if that's from wear. The " notch" or hole" whichever the case was drilled from what I see under magnification.
 
I kinda thought that too at first glance of it...
 
The lenght and diameter seem to match other bone needles recovered from archaic contexts in Florida. I don't think it would be stout enough to handle Hafted impact. Unless used as a blow dart which isn't talked about much but has been written in some Florida archaeological reports I have read. I'm leaning towards needle.

mamoth5b.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom