What's new

Bone notch

pghDFXer

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Messages
171
Reaction score
486
Golden Thread
0
Location
PGH
Detector(s) used
Dfx 300 w/5.3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EE504262-88AA-420F-B952-13D632EFF6E1.webp08F08954-D1F4-47D3-B04C-91EEFE748A44.webp0164943E-4AFD-4CA1-8266-89E755F9162A.webp9BE852C4-EE54-4E55-8BD2-728A4A4FE48D.webp Question about the same notch cut on these, and countless other bone , I've seen same cut out in a 1985 NatGeo mag, from 100,000yo African site, and in pics found along side 40,000yo Siberian butchered mammoths, but I can't find anything about what's the purpose of the cut out on the bones, so can someone tell me!? .. before my brain explodes! Thanks
 
Upvote 0
I think it has something to do with getting the marrow out
 
If those areas were near a joint, it could be the result of the way it was detached or taken apart by whatever had it for dinner or or whoever butchered it.

I thought they split bone to get the marrow
 
That one on right does look to have kinda smoothed edges.Knife handle? Good pic but it's hard to tell. The rest don't know. Typically they just broke the bones to get marrow. Find this stuff in a camp?
 
I was also thinking socketed handles for tools like this one.

9869CF03-8008-4C85-A6BD-6BD92AFEBF53.webp
20DDF48E-2D05-4FBE-A645-5784D979A7DC.webp
 
Yeah, the small ones were wore down , the big one had a few noticeable horizontal score marks hard to see in pics
 
pghDFXer, bones are interesting to look at but can be really tough to decipher. Magnification and experimenting on bones is really a good way to break things down. I see the mark on yours. It's also pretty common that the edges get roughed up and lost overtime, what might have been a sharpened polished edge from use wear is now a jagged edge.

Fred250, cut bones like the one you have posted there where the spongey bone is intact and cleanly cut is almost always a sign of modern butchery. Yours looks like it was cut on a meat band saw.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom