Bounty Hunter 3300 or ?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hello,
I'm looking at the 3300 or ? Your thoughts please:)

I've been using a Whites 6000D and a Bounty Hunter 202. Surprising results with the 202, looking for a 'step-up'

Supposedly a Fisher F4 with a different name.
At one time Fisher sold the F4 for a ridiculous $399, kinda crazy to pay an extra $200 for the all metal and GB in only all metal features over the F2 I always thought, especially since most hunters rarely used all metal.

Now that same detector at much lower prices make a it a much better value, actually a screaming deal on this thing right now if you are a Costco member...$85!

I have tons of experience with a Fisher F2 and found way more with it than you might believe, old coins, relics and jewelry...lots of jewelry including more silver pieces than I can remember and close to 2 dozen gold pieces, mostly rings.
The F4 is an F2 with 2 extra features, an all metal setting and ground balance which the 3300 has also, but keep in mind the GB only affects the all metal side...using disc the GB is still preset from the factory.
A few years ago the Discovery was said to be slower in recovery than the Fishers and maybe other units in the BH line, noticeably slower but owners knew to just move the coil a bit slower to compensate and they still found a ton.
Over the last few years I can't say for sure but I think they fixed that issue and upped the recovery speed which is entirely possible considering Fisher and BH are cousins and can easily share tech if FTP wants to.
Still, $85 or even a little over $100 for the 3300 is still a crazy great deal.

So, will it be enough of an upgrade for you over that 202...I can't say.
The 202 seems capable with some very nice features, will the Discovery be more, do more....maybe, but that depends on where and how you use it.
I can mention that the additional VDI numbers on the screen was always helpful to me since on screen units I use both the tones AND the numbers to make digging decisions.
Sometimes one over the other in some difficult sites but I was always greatful to have both.

Hopefully a few other hunters that had experience with these models will chime in soon.

Also the newer, lower end, detectors like the Simplex and Vanquish coming out now aren't all that expensive but seem to be pretty capable at the not so high prices.
The F22 or F44 might be decent choices, too.

I upgraded from the F2 past the F5 up to the F70, now known as the Teknetics Patriot.
THAT was a healthy upgrade and enabled me to be much more successful in a much wider range of sites than ever before, but the $400 price isn't close to the Discovery level so I am not suggesting that but think about it for the future if you get along as well with FTP detectors as I do and you really want a major upgrade.

Decisions decisions...more great around and under $300 detectors out there nowadays than ever before so good luck with whatever path you take.

Last edited:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I'm looking at the 3300 or ? Your thoughts please:)

I've been using a Whites 6000D and a Bounty Hunter 202. Surprising results with the 202, looking for a 'step-up'

The Tracker IV has always been known to punch well over it's body weight.
Many experts keep one around.

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I've made the switch to a Minelab Equinox I'll second the Fisher recommendation. I had an F2 as my first machine and can vouch for it being a great detector despite some technical difficulties I had with it. That being said their customer service and warranty are great - They took care of the issue no questions asked.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend