Bounty Hunter Model 3300 Metal Dector with PinPoint from Radio Shack

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bounty Hunter brand is generally considered to be the low-budget spectrum of detectors. Ie.: you won't see many, or any, Aces out there using them. But with that said, it's also true that in the past 10 or 15 yrs, electronics, and the price thereof, have come down so much, that nowadays, even the cheapie machines can do thing that the machines of 25+ yrs. ago couldn't do.

Not sure of the particular BH machine you have, but it would find coins and items. Will it do it as deeply and accurately as the higher-priced top-brand machines? Probably not.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is pretty much correct. Those that buy these usually upgrade to a better machine shortly afterward. The Bounty Hunter line does work, and some like them even. In the hands of an experienced user they can find some coins, but there are many that consider them junk. They're real advantage is they are cheap.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i don't know what kind of price you were offered but on the radio shack site they are listing it at $299. in my opinion for $200 the Garrett ace 250 is a Superior machine for a lot less money, and made by a reputable manufacturer in the US from high quality materials. the bounty hunters are made in china, and radio shack doesn't know the difference between a smoke detector and a metal detector. ;) in my opinion you should look around at the entry level machines made by Whites,Garrett and Tesoro. any one of them would be a better choice in my book. i would also try to buy from a distributer that only deals in metal detectors. that way should you have questions or require service, you are dealing with someone who knows what they are doing.

Bullfrog1

Oct 24, 2008
A good detectector for a reasonably cheap price is, as mentioned above, is the Garrett Ace 250! :thumbsup: Now for Bounty Hunter, I wouldn't use one, even if it was given to me! :violent1: You'd be lucky, to find pull tabs, bottle caps, pennies, and sprinkler heads with them! :protest: I own seven detectors, Bounty Hunter will never be one that will be added with them! :cussing:

blklabmad

Aug 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a bounty hunter platinum and a lone star, both seem to work well and go deep. Guess it's up to the owner/user. Just like trucks I wouldn't own a ford if you gave it to me but there are some good fords out there...It's all about what one likes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread