Boy what a rush at first, but soon realith set in...

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well here lately Truth and I haven’t been hunting to much due to an accumulation of things, but we did get a chance the other day to get out for a few hours at a permission I got from a friend in Ponchatoula, Louisiana.

We didn’t find much, a lot of clad coins, Truth found about 10 Wheaties and round pistol ball as well as a token. we both found some other pieces not worth posting. Well right before wrapping things up for the day I pulled these two (2) items.

Even though it gave me a serious rush when I dug it, I soon came to the realization that it was only a piece of costume jewelry and not the silver piece with ruby’s as I first thought it was. The other is a small brass Fleur-de-lis with two (2) points missing.

Not much to post, but here lately it’s the best we can do. Thanks for looking…. “D”

20190507_113942.jpg

20190516_102354.jpg

Upvote 27

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
As my dad would say, "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick".
You have to find a LOT of costume to find some good jewelry. You are one more find closer to the goods!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there Possum, exposed it in the hole, almost had a heart attack, them discovered it wasn't what I thought it was, your items look nice just the same, congrats & HH

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds. The thrill is always the best part, even when it turns out to be unwarranted.
HH
dts

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reality can be such a bummer! still a very cool find and it still may be worth some money, people are really into the older costume jewelry and pay some big bucks for it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the gettin out. And the keepers!
Reality is ....Detecting is as exciting as we let it be.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As costume jewelry goes , that's not too hard on the eyes at all - is it a brooch ? Does it have any hallmarks ?

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As costume jewelry goes , that's not too hard on the eyes at all - is it a brooch ? Does it have any hallmarks ?
It is a brooch, and the only Mark is on the reverse side in the upper corner of the bow it says "Sterling", in crude letters, but it just feels so light when you hold it, it's like it almost weighs nothing... "D"

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice find Possum. I think we have all been in that position. I once dug what I thought was going to be a gold $20.00 coin. It turned out to be a Readers Digest token ! Talk about a heart stopper.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a nice find and it is sterling. Bet it will look great when it’s cleaned and polished alittle. Congrats

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah Possum! Never say "just costume"! Some of this stuff is top notch in popularity as well as value! First of all the red gems don't look like foil backs. I don't know how big your paw is but this thing looks to be 2.5 to 3". This puts in in the size range of expensive costume jewelry from the forties or fifties. Using a good eyepiece search the back of this thing for a makers mark. Some of this stuff from Trifari or Chrysler can bring some nice change and there were a number of other manufacturers as well. Even International Harvester had a line of costume they gave the wife when a farmer bought a large ticket item. Research before you discard, and remember, there's always Ebay! Best wishes!

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a nice find and it is sterling. Bet it will look great when it’s cleaned and polished alittle. Congrats

Hawk,

You think even with it's light weight that it is indeed the real deal? I just figured the whole thing was costume due to it's light weight, however when I rubbed it with my silver jewelers cleaning cloth it did leave a black mark like real silver, so maybe I lucked up and did find a thin silver brooch...:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

"D"

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice find. Congrats. :icon_thumright: Its really a nice looking brooch.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Women in the 50s and sixties concentrated on being elegant!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago they wouldn’t waste silver so I believe your brooch would fetch a few bucks. I agree with Argentium they could be garnets. Let’s hope they are. Good luck.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
This item is sounding better by the post! Sterling goes into the good pile, grats! How about another pic showing the hallmark?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread