Brandon vs The People of CA Update 10/17/13

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rinehart vs. The People of the State of California

I just wanted to provide an update on my case for those of you who haven’t heard, some good news, the California court of appeals has agreed to accept direct review of my criminal conviction for suction dredging without a permit, which squarely presents the federal preemption issue in a context where my trial refused to permit any evidence concerning the degree of interference with mining. It is also a good case because there are no fish involved.

My attorney (James Buchal) is currently working on our opening brief which is due on Oct 24th,2013. The States response is due 20 days later and our reply brief is due 10 days after that. So as you can see this is all going to happen very quickly(Fingers crossed).

I can’t post the brief for obvious reasons but I can tell you I have read the Draft and it and is VERY well written. James has done an amazing job putting it together. Hopefully this all goes well and we are back in the water next season.

Donations are still needed, I have fronted more than 55% of the costs for this case out of my own pocket with costs exceeding $15k. This has stretched my finances considerably. Any help you all can provide would be appreciated.

Brandon Rinehart

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck Brandon!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right on! Got the update today about your case and how it ties in with the appeal on Ochoas' decision. It looks good and promising. Here's hoping common sense and justice prevail. Where can folks that want to help send donations-PLP?

OP
OP
Bnugget

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donations can be sent directly to my attorney. Just be sure to write on the check what it's for.

James Buchal
3425 S.E. Yamhill street, suite 100
Portland, Oregon 97214

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread