HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British Police Warn ?Nighthawks? to Stay Away From Hadrian?s Wall ? History in the Headlines

Hadrian’s Wall, the 1,900-year-old fortification built by Roman imperial troops in the second century A.D., stretches for nearly 80 miles across northern Britain, winding its way through some of the country’s most beautiful countryside. Unfortunately, this striking monument has apparently been attracting more than hikers and history buffs. According to a recent warning issued by British heritage experts and police, unauthorized metal detectorists—known as “nighthawks”—have being digging illegally at several sites along Hadrian’s Wall, presumably in search of Roman-era jewelry, coins and other long-buried items.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for posting the link. I notice that this wall is 80 miles long. And if I'm understanding the article correctly, the places they think someone was md'ing, is just at select off-limits portions of it. Because if the thing is "80 miles long", then I'm guessing it meanders through, and butts up next to, private farmers fields. So it's probably not an offense to be md'ing near that wall, UNLESS you're at some particular part of it, that is set aside for a historic monument or public park or something?

Or is there litterally 80 long miles that is all off-limits ? And if so, how far out in each direction from it ? I can't believe that there's not stretches of it that you can get near to it on private land. Maybe not close enough to reach out and touch it, but to at least be in the vicinity of it. And afterall: That's where 99% of British hunters hunt afterall: Is farmer's land with permission. So this story must've been just about one particular protected part of it. Not the entire 80 miles of wall.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Also another growing phenomenom that can explain some "holes": The growing hobby of geo-caching. You know, where guys trade clues, to solve riddles, and practice their skills at map, compass, GPS, etc... to find the item hidden by others in the game. The guy who finds it digs it up (or fishes it out of the hole in the tree or whatever). Adds his name to the slip of paper on the inside, and then re-hides it for the next guy to find.

I'm sure those persons, unlike md'rs, are probably not as aware as we are, to leave no trace. So any hole they leave, can falsely be construed as having been from an md'r. GGGRRRRRRR.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
England has had problem with nighthawkers stealing artifacts and have arrested several. Some have been banned from even owning a metal detector after being caught..

According to what I have read sites near Hadrian’s Wall are legally protected as scheduled ancient monuments, and it is a criminal offense to use a metal detecting equipment without authorization from English Heritage.

bc677e9884f07c7a9c1080bf9b761361.jpg

Topic is Hadrian's wall.....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are fields nearby were you can detect at Hadrian's wall, but as the picture shoes these holes are with in the no go area.:nono: If you are caught with in the boundaries you are likely to be charge with going equipped to steal with a metal detector. Hadrian's wall is not just a fortification, it had Villas and home steads along it's stretch, and with over 9,000 troops staged there, there must of been a lot of coinage floating about.
I once heard of a story of a guy actually being caught removing a inscripted stone from the wall itself, I have also seen gold roman rings found at Hadrian's wall, it's been robbed for years, and now the police are getting tough. Most of the land near to the wall is protected not even the farmers can plough there, all though most of the area is sheep farming land. Common cense should tell anybody thinking of detecting the wall, the chances are you will be caught, named, and shamed.

SS

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do they know what is depicted as damage in the picture was done by detectorists. If they knew that wouldn't they have said that in the caption instead of this--"One of many illegal excavations along Hadrian's Wall (Credit: English Heritage)" While it may have been an illegal excavation there is nothing to show it was done by a detectorist. If the wall is 80 miles long It might not be unusual to find a spot such as this somewhere along the wall. Could be just another hit piece on the hobby. No proof that I see.
100% done by detectorists I'm sorry to say, Hadrian's wall is a very rural area, and unless it's being protected by night vision, it would not be hard to go unnoticed, and it's a well know fact that nighthawking is rife there. Hadrian's wall is not just a English Heritage site, it's a World heritage site... That needs protecting.

SS

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your opinion SS, good to have it from someone who lives there..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% done by detectorists I'm sorry to say, Hadrian's wall is a very rural area, and unless it's being protected by night vision, it would not be hard to go unnoticed, and it's a well know fact that nighthawking is rife there. Hadrian's wall is not just a English Heritage site, it's a World heritage site... That needs protecting.

SS
Your right SS....👍

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't those be people who are thieves using metal detectors and not metal detectorist stealing?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reference to what I highlighted I'm just saying there is no proof at all in the article that is was done by a detectorist. It may have been but to say it was done 100% by detectorist without anything supporting that claim or that a detectorist had anything to do with it is not fair on our hobby.
Why would any one else dig there :icon_scratch: there's nothing else to find there but Ancient artifacts and coins, no Geo-cashing, in the link the ground has been clearly cut out by a spade, they couldn't even be bothered to put the turf back :BangHead: and like I said this is a World Heritage site, I'm not squeaky clean, but I draw a wide line at scheduled sites.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't those be people who are thieves using metal detectors and not metal detectorist stealing?
Same difference, it's still a stab in the eye with a sharp stick for detectorists everyewhere.

SS

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There are fields nearby were you can detect at Hadrian's wall, but as the picture shoes these holes are with in the no go area.:nono: ....

Thanx SS. How many feet, or yards, out from the actual wall itself, does that prohibition apply to ? Ie: the distance to which it just becomes normal farmer fields, that are not in-accessible to mdr's ?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anyone write or showcase an article that shows no proof or even has any connection to metal detecting and then avoid that issue and make it seem like anyone who questions the facts is less sensitive to a World Heritage site ? That is also a good question that we don't know the answer to.
Why would anyone write or showcase an article that shows no proof or even has any connection to metal detecting and then avoid that issue and make it seem like anyone who questions the facts is less sensitive to a World Heritage site ? That is also a good question that we don't know the answer to.

I'll tell you why, because this is not a one off happening, it's rife like I said earlier and now the police are involved, which they probably won't have been before.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx SS. How many feet, or yards, out from the actual wall itself, does that prohibition apply to ? Ie: the distance to which it just becomes normal farmer fields, that are not in-accessible to mdr's ?
Tom.. it would all depend on the location to any of the forts, or villa homestead sites, the barren parts of the wall, well I suppose it would all depend on the land owner and they will be quite away about the sensitivity of the area. A lot just don't allow it. One of the guys I detect with Michael has some permission that goes up to the wall, but that was through a family member contact.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you agree that the people that write these articles and showcase them when there is no proof that metal detectorists have anything to do with the damage, is rife, why would you do so and get the police involved in something that makes our hobby look bad ?
You have no argument, where I have first hand knowledge about the damage done... and by who. This is not a new case it's old news to us over here, and now the police and English heritage are just sick of it. But carry on believing that the pixies that live in Hadrian's wall did the damage.... to make us look bad.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Silver Searcher for bringing this to light, we yanks have had that problem over here in the past as well. When Nite vision goggles became available several (sorry do not remember the exact #) of nite hawkers were arrested for looting our national battlefields, Gettysburg most notoriously.

It was in the newspapers for those who wish to doubt me, either in the late 80's or 90's cannot remember exactly.

LOL on a different note: Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining

What's an English Gent doing using an old southern saying:thumbsup:
That's one of my favorite sayings, each time I use it people look at me funny, then a broad smile crosses their face.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorists night hawking to steal artifacts is what makes our hobby look bad, people advocating it is okay to do so because no one cares makes our hobby look bad...

Artifacts hunters illegally digging artifacts in protected areas are still artifact hunters who are also theives. Divers illegally diving and poaching on treasure leases are treasure hunters who are thieves..

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have no argument, where I have first hand knowledge about the damage done... and by who. This is not a new case it's old news to us over here, and now the police and English heritage are just sick of it. But carry on believing that the pixies that live in Hadrian's wall did the damage.... to make us look bad.

Kemper, this gentleman, lives over there and obviously has first hand knowledge of which you do not!

If this was just an arbitrary statement form one outside our hobby, I would be the first to speak up challenging it, but it is not. It was made by one of our own, even though he is across the pond, he is still one of us, so show some respect. I seriously doubt he would post this to shadow our hobby or show it in a false light unless it was true.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Silver Searcher for bringing this to light, we yanks have had that problem over here in the past as well. When Nite vision goggles became available several (sorry do not remember the exact #) of nite hawkers were arrested for looting our national battlefields, Gettysburg most notoriously.

It was in the newspapers for those who wish to doubt me, either in the late 80's or 90's cannot remember exactly.

LOL on a different note: Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining

What's an English Gent doing using an old southern saying:thumbsup:
That's one of my favorite sayings, each time I use it people look at me funny, then a broad smile crosses their face.
Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining....From one of my favourite films Mate.:thumbsup:

And as for those that have hunted the Battlefields over there, they need to be hung up by there private parts. There is just some area's out of bonds, no matter what might be buried there. I have always said that I would cover up a ancient grave site, and not even tell the Archy's were it was, unless the site became at risk through modern development.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions