What's new

Broke base ..

GroundS.KeepeR

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
872
Reaction score
213
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Recent find . I believe the base is snapped . But not quite sure. Your thoughts please ?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    269.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    214 KB · Views: 88
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    265.8 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
Are you implying that it was purposely snapped?! LOL. There are a few of us that believe some Kirks were snapped on purpose but we get beat down and bullied by experts so much that we generally tuck our tails and run. I'd like to hear the opinions of these same guys/gals regarding death pots.......

There is no reason not to think that some superstition, ritual or bad luck karma may have existed with Native Americans that may have caused them to purposely break a tool. Many think that tools were too precious, too hard to make and material too hard to come by that it's simply unthinkable to put a tool out of commission. I completely disagree. I've seen fine tools made by modern knappers in 15 minutes and to the best of my knowledge, there is NO shortage of workable material....even in the year 2014.
 
Nice find.. Pretty obvious the base is broken
 
Are you implying that it was purposely snapped?! LOL. There are a few of us that believe some Kirks were snapped on purpose but we get beat down and bullied by experts so much that we generally tuck our tails and run. I'd like to hear the opinions of these same guys/gals regarding death pots.......

There is no reason not to think that some superstition, ritual or bad luck karma may have existed with Native Americans that may have caused them to purposely break a tool. Many think that tools were too precious, too hard to make and material too hard to come by that it's simply unthinkable to put a tool out of commission. I completely disagree. I've seen fine tools made by modern knappers in 15 minutes and to the best of my knowledge, there is NO shortage of workable material....even in the year 2014.

Nice find.. Pretty obvious the base is broken

i agree it is broke or snapped but i cannot see where grounds.keepr said it was purposely snapped?
 
Looks like a ancient break by the patina.
 
Still a heartbreaker of a find! :icon_thumright:
 
I believe the snapped bases were made tgat way but the piece your holding is either an Eva or broke pickwick JMHO nice find material looks like it came from my spot lol
 
Are you implying that it was purposely snapped?! LOL. There are a few of us that believe some Kirks were snapped on purpose but we get beat down and bullied by experts so much that we generally tuck our tails and run. I'd like to hear the opinions of these same guys/gals regarding death pots....... There is no reason not to think that some superstition, ritual or bad luck karma may have existed with Native Americans that may have caused them to purposely break a tool. Many think that tools were too precious, too hard to make and material too hard to come by that it's simply unthinkable to put a tool out of commission. I completely disagree. I've seen fine tools made by modern knappers in 15 minutes and to the best of my knowledge, there is NO shortage of workable material....even in the year 2014.
1320, anyone that doesn't think the snapped base Kirk should have its own identity hasn't walked my area. Every time I go to falls lake I find one. I once sided with the guys that opposed the existence of the snapped base. Falls lake made me a believer. Sorry to go off topic!!!
 
It is hard to no for sure what the maker had in mind... The blunt end of a fractured base may have had an advantage that we don't know about... Perhaps some arrows were prone to splinter and an arrow hitting the shoulder of an elk could splinter the shaft as well as ruin the arrowhead... You are free to make up your own mind... Those that would ridicule only think they have all the answers!
 
JMO there is not enough of a base there to mount on a shaft, it could have been broken while making or in use. It is a nice point snapped base or not.:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom