What's new

Broken butterfly bannerstone my first.

Triumph

Full Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2016
Messages
131
Reaction score
233
Golden Thread
0
Location
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well last Friday pulled this out of the ground at our Lexington SC site.
Wish it was whole!


banner stone4.webpbannerstone3.webpbannerstone2.webpbanner stone1.webp
 
Upvote 0
Heart breaker for sure!!!!!
 
Killer and a shame all a the same time.

Congrats on the nice find sir!
 
Wow, I've never really heard of one of those, so I looked online. They seem pretty pricey, but I be suspicious of some of the ones I see up for sale. At least you know yours is genuine.
 
While it sucks that it is broken, that is still a very significant find and a great study piece to see the method used for drilling these pieces.
 
While it sucks that it is broken, that is still a very significant find and a great study piece to see the method used for drilling these pieces.

I agree, just glad I did not break it with my shovel that’s what I thought at first!
Bore hole is really smooth more than it looks in the picture.
 
Cool find! Even a broke piece is hard to come by.
 
What's really interesting to me is this is a utilitarian piece not made of super nice stone. Looks like granite. There is also no boring rings like in all of the high end quartz pieces on line the bore is smooth.

There are multiple theories as to what these were used for. One theory is for ceremonial purposes only this one does not look like that, it looks like it was used.
How I don't know but kind of rules out that theory.

At the site we are finding lots of big flakes and a pile of white quartz preforms and maybe a couple of possible hammer stones that we were not sure about. Now looking back on those stones maybe they are tools not just smooth round rocks. They have some marks on the end like they were used but I was not sure about them. We also found a small bird bone tool. This looks like a working camp not some ceremonial site.

We have found very little pottery and the site is on a hill all wooded over looking a creek. We have found about 6 points there. Guess I am going back and find the rest of it!!
 
Last edited:
Even though it is broken, it is an exceptional find. Thanks for sharing,
 
Nice find .... I have one I found years ago and didn't know what it was for the longest time.It looks almost the same as yours as far as material and size I'll see if I can find a pic of it. Found mine in Maryland (eastern shore)ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480177746.297018.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480177757.680797.webp
 
Last edited:
I have found a small piece of one just the drilled section. If we ever get any rain I might find some more of it cause they tilled the field this year.
Nice find you made.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom