brother finds a "cache"...thanks brinker52 & minton7

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
brother finds a "cache"...thanks brinker52 & minton7

Some of you may have read earlier posts about my detecting trips with my brother Eric. He is handicapped, and loves to detect. More of the story is here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,181751.msg1327919.html#msg1327919 http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197189.msg1396358.html#msg1396358

Treasurenet members Minton7 and Brinker52 sent some coins for my brother to find on our outings. Along with several US coins and tokens, Brinker52 sent several foreign coins, so I was trying to figure out how to plant them so that Eric wouldn't become suspicious over time when he kept finding foreign coins. I got the idea to make a cache for him to find all of them at once. I rooted around in the shop for a rusty can of some sort. Found an old bandaid can that was rusted enough to believe it was underground awhile. It had some old stamps in it, so I left a few in it for him to go along with the coins. The coins rattled really bad in the can, and I couldn't smuggle it out past him like that so I went in and found an old rag and wrapped the coins in the rag, then crammed it in the box.

Well, he stayed at my house for the weekend, so all sunday afternoon we detected. I took him to a school yard so he could dig some coins for a while and hone his detecting skills. He is getting a lot better at finding a coin without digging a crater. We got tired of clad so we decided to go to an old spot that we've hunted before. I waited for him to wander away far enough that he couldn't see what I was doing, and dug a hole. I put the tin in and covered it back up and pushed dead leaves back over the hole. You couldn't tell anything had been done. I got his attention and called him over, told him that I had my best luck "over in that area"....pointing my finger in a circular motion in the general area of the planted "cache". I didn't have to wait long. I could see him checking that beep over and over...trying to decide if he should dig it or not. I turned my side to him so I could see out of the corner of my eye. "oh my goodness!!!" he said in a loud whisper. I looked, and he had the unrolled cloth rag in his hand with a pile of coins there, rattling from his shaking hand.

Than he got paranoid. I had warned him about whooping and hollering when he made a find, because it might attract the wrong kind of attention (not the best neighborhood). He kinda hunkered over to shield his finds from anyone who might be looking. I had to coax him into letting me take a pic on the spot. Then, without studying the coins, he packed them up and stuck them in his pocket. He kept hunting and fiddling with his can in his pocket, but not taking it out, lol! You could tell it got his mind racing though, because he kept talking about wanting to find a treasure chest and stuff like that. A little while later, I slipped a V nickel that Minton7 sent into his dirt pile from a hole he was digging. He found it...he said "United States....nineteen forty....nineteen O four....that's old!". Now he has found a v nickel which is something I haven't been able to accomplish.

He loves doing this stuff. I imagine there are a lot of handicapped children and adults who would absolutely love to go dig up a treasure. Something as simple as a wheat or worn out indian cent that means nearly nothing to us can be a highpoint of life for a handicapped person to find. Maybe some of you out there with time and patience to spare, you could take someone you know who wouldn't otherwise get the chance and let them experience that thrill. I get more satisfaction watching someone like that dig a good find than for me to dig it myself.

Anyway, thank you again brinker52 and minton7! God bless you!

Attachments

• IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,049
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,037
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,029
  • IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,016
Upvote 0

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Re: brother finds a "cache"...thanks brinker52 & minton7

Man, you rock! I vote for you to be the best brother of the century.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great stuff...This is what it's all about, sharing time with someone doing something fun. Kudos to the generous guys for donating those coins too.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome post cheese! The expression on his face says it all. HH, Mike

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

cheese your the man! that picture is worth a million v nickles. do some research mabey you can find a spot that really has that stuff. then you and your brother can both look like that. you got a heart of gold bro. willy.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Outstanding!! Man.. what a great thing you are doing... want some Civil War relics to add to the treasure hunts??

MB

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

that should be in honorable mention and BANNER!!!!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

his expression makes it all worth it...... I am so glad my idea worked out! I am amazed at how excited he gets.... your posts warm my heart! It would do us all good to think of others a little more and to help others whenever possible......btw.... that V nickel looks alot better than the last time I saw it.. id be very glad to know how you helped it make the transformation.....

Randy

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV

BANNER! BANNER! BANNER! BANNER! BANNER! BANNER! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

That is one of the most heartwarming stories I have read here. The look on his face is more treasure than any of us will find in our own hunts! Some very special people contributed and I am oh so very thankful you shared it with the rest of us! Truly Awesome!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, this should be in Honorable Mention.

:thumbsup:

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.

What you are doing is absolutly wonderfull.
Happy holidays to you and your brother.
Jimbob

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hello ,Reading your post has definetly lifted my spirits for the Season.There seems to be so much selfiness and greed in the World anymore that it's hard to find the light in the fellow man,but this post definetly shows the good in people is shining and it is Awesome.
I am so glad that i have recently become a member of this site because there are some Great people here and i really enjoy seeing the Love and freindship that is shared throughout.

I also would like to share a couple things to a future hunt for your brother and keep the excitement in his eyes.
My Home was built in the early 1800's and i have dug many 1800's coins,e.t.c and I would like to send you a Large Cent and a couple other coins that i have dug here for a future hunt for your brother.If this is ok with you ,please pm me and address where i can send the coins.

Merry Christmas, Nova Treasure

I

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV

nova treasure said:
Hello ,Reading your post has definetly lifted my spirits for the Season.There seems to be so much selfiness and greed in the World anymore that it's hard to find the light in the fellow man,but this post definetly shows the good in people is shining and it is Awesome.
I am so glad that i have recently become a member of this site because there are some Great people here and i really enjoy seeing the Love and freindship that is shared throughout.

I also would like to share a couple things to a future hunt for your brother and keep the excitement in his eyes.
My Home was built in the early 1800's and i have dug many 1800's coins,e.t.c and I would like to send you a Large Cent and a couple other coins that i have dug here for a future hunt for your brother.If this is ok with you ,please pm me and address where i can send the coins.

Merry Christmas, Nova Treasure

I

Cheese,

I would like to do the same. PM me and I would be more than happy to share more for your brother's hunt.

blackrat

Greenie
Dec 6, 2008
minnesota
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter / ace 350

this is just fantastic. it is amazing so many people here help others out, i love it !

brinker52

Greenie
Jul 13, 2008
Sacramento, Ca.
Detector(s) used
shopping for another machine currently

Cheese, Thanks so much for the great post!! I am so happy he had such a great time...it made my day to read this and see the smile on your brother's face.....that's what it's all about right there!! Thanks again for keeping me posted , you're a great man in my eyes. You are the BEST brother anyone could ever want , I am so very glad to know you. God Bless you and yours....and happy future hunting. Brinker52.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread