Bucaneers Sword

Jon A.

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucaneer's Sword

Here's another item my father picked up as a child in a junkyard in New Orleans in the 1930's. He had it sitting in his attic of his washed out home due to Katrina. He was going to leave it along with other things for the looters but I said no way and drove down from NJ to get it.

It is what I believe a Buccaneer's sword. It measures 38" in length and has the name "Knecht" engraved on the blade near the hilt. The hand grip is made of wood. I see no other engravings that would give me an idea about this sword.

Can someone give me an idea what this is? Where it might have come from?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

Attachments

• cuphilt 7.jpg
    cuphilt 7.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 208
  • cuphilt 8.jpg
    cuphilt 8.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 211
  • cuphilt 9.jpg
    cuphilt 9.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 94
  • cuphilt 10.jpg
    cuphilt 10.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 211
  • cuphilt 11.jpg
    cuphilt 11.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 85
  • cuphilt 12.jpg
    cuphilt 12.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 96
  • cuphilt 13.jpg
    cuphilt 13.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 91
  • cuphilt 14.jpg
    cuphilt 14.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 102
  • rapier1.jpg
    rapier1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 101
  • rapier2.jpg
    rapier2.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 92
  • buc sword.JPG
    buc sword.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 97

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Knecht = A long line of the Knecht family who made swords in Germany from circa 1620-1978. Various markings over the years so it can be confusing as to when it was made, a little patience will be needed.

Upvote 0

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
German duelling sword probably. The type that used to put the scars on upper class faces before WW2. Reinhard Heydrich SS leader was an accomplished swordsman, though didn't have the scar.

Upvote 0

ABruce

Apr 11, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll go along with dueling saber, but it just seems a bit short at 38" overall. Perhaps it was cut down a bit after breaking or bending the tip.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is the blade straight? A naval cutlass is going to have a slight curve to it (very often) and have a wider blade....and a more "hefty" feel about it. The wooden handle doesn't look right either. When you Google dueling sword, similar handles to yours pops up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jon A.

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again. From the hilt cup (where the word "Knecht is located) to the tip of the blade measures 31 1/4" . The blade is straight at the top but the bottom of the blade, the sharp side, measures 3/4" at the hilt cup and tapers to a rounded point as seen in the photo. It's a curious item and I believe it is very old. Having been found in New Orleans, I would have thought it belonged to a buccaneer, which is still a possibility.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread