Bucket Lister Scratched

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found yesterday in the desert near home. My first and probably the only one Ill ever find. A glycymeris shell pendant from the Gulf of California. Its from the Hohokam period, which means its at least 500 years old, from about 1450 AD or before. These are actually pretty rare, Ive only ever heard of archaeologists finding them. It was ground down around the edge to make it more rounded, and then grounded flat on top to make the hole. I also found that tipless arrowhead, a tiny little thing.

DSC04511.jpg DSC04513.jpg DSC04515.jpg DSC04518.jpg

The last photo shows the shell pendant with a stone pendant I found a few years ago and another little shell bead I found a couple months ago. All Hohokam period stuff.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the ancient chevy pendant, haha

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its amazing it was whole due to how brittle shells are. Nice save

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to take away from your find, but I think that looks more like a scallop shell than glycymeris shell based on the prominence of the ridges. Then again I'm married so I'm wrong a lot.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be. I just assume its a glycymeris shell because I know the natives around here were known to use glycymeris shells. They probably played around with other types of shell as well.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Great find, I’ve heard the distribution of some of the shell Hohokam items like that was probably a pretty tightly controlled thing. Only certain people got to display important trade items like that.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - Great Find!!! :occasion14:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a fisherman, clam digger, and #1 bait man on commercial crab boat - that shell looks like a cockle clam that has been shaved a bit.

That said - it could any number of clam or scallop. I don’t know how this pertains to artifacts though!

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you google this "Glycymeris multicostata" and look in "Images", you can see some very similar looking glycymeris shells. Apparently, there are different kinds of them.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to find something different like that I've never found any beads or pottery really

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a cool find.

Top Member Reactions