Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Insecta formicidae to be exact.Ants. I don't think this is a fire ant bite but it is some kind of mean little bugger. I was pulling up dandelions between the curb and street in the grass on Tuesday and got into a hill of little black ants that went commando on my arm.Thank image.jpg goodness I was wearing gloves. Anyone run into evil bugs?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ouch CoilyGirl!!!!

Evil bugs are everywhere :(

I am terrified of spiders! I must admit my weaknesses...

I read once that the average adult swallows 6 spiders in their sleep :(

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't get me going on spiders,hate them! I floss every morning.:tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would normally suggest a spider bite C_G

But recetly read where most if not all small spiders cannot bite in places like that.
they need to bite between fingers & toes to find softer spots.
If true all the times I blamed spiders were wrong.

so My guess an Ornery ant :laughing7:

==========

Deeps not sure on your Numbers, But I heard that also,
and that we are always within a short distance of a spider at all times.
but
http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/myths/3feet.html
that being said, Perhaps some they are talking about us eating are as Microscopic
as the bugs we breathe every time we inhale :dontknow:

I know I rarely wake up full in the mornings

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This definitely was a bite from an ant,I yanked off my gloves because they were crawling inside and saw the red mark.It didnt swell up much until this morning though.Microscopic spiders are good roughage I'll bet,ick!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I've been bitten almost in the same spot by ants already,
and for some reason the spot always swells.

and itches

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a construction engineer. We have all kinds of BS responsibilities at this project - my 68th. I had to give a safety presentation here with the subject being my choice. So, I gave it on spiders....

There's 4 nasty ones in the US + black widow of course, brown recluse of course, wolf spider, and the jumping spiders - a technical name I don't remember now ...

These critters can hurt you, but by far most of them are harmless to us except for a minor irritation.

One thing I read though, was if you are spider bitten = go to a doctor, period!

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The daddy long legs is one of the most venomous but it's teeth( fangs) are two small to injure. ingenious little buggers tho.
Once I fell into a ground wasp nest maybe 10 or twelve were having their day with me. I remember the neighbor poured Bleach on the bite and the pain went away almost instantly Them buggers sting more then once. OUCH!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
supposedly the daddy long legs thing is a myth

But yea I stepped on a ground nest of Yellow Jackets once,
some went up my pants leg & some up my shirt.

I never did do a sting Count, but luckly I am not allergic

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I did run into which was nasty = deer ticks :(

Nasty little ( very tiny ) little buggers.

3 bites left scars, months to heal, and itch! My lord!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
supposedly the daddy long legs thing is a myth

But yea I stepped on a ground nest of Yellow Jackets once,
some went up my pants leg & some up my shirt.

I never did do a sting Count, but luckly I am not allergic

Man,talk about hurting! Yellow jackets act like they have got a grudge or something.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,talk about hurting! Yellow jackets act like they have got a grudge or something.

Not sure I call them overly aggressive, but they can sure be a pest.
they apparently love sweets, & will try to land on your lips when eating
Funnel cake , or sugar Donuts.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Now you got me going. First off I have played with daddy longlegs all my life, they are not spiders, count the legs. They don't sting.

Fire ants are small and swarm. When I went to Marko Island in Florida to detect, I stepped on a fire ant mound while getting my detector from the MN. While standing there a large group of them climbed on my leg. What happens when the leader emits a chemical they all sting at once, and it is like liquid fire. I quickly brushed them off and had red welts on my led. I wiped it down with hydrogen peroxide and then applied a bee sting liquid. It numbed the pain and off to the beach I went with one swollen leg.

I was tearing down an old outhouse and was stung by a big spider. I smashed it flat so i didn't know what kind it was. The sting swelled up to form a 2" diameter boil. By nite time I was having cold chills and sweating under the covers. Then the shivers set in This went on all night. The next morning I had a headache, but was feeling a little better. The boil burst and seamed to be getting wider. I kept washing it out with alcohol for several days. In a week it started to dry out And in about a month it was almost gone. I didn't read until later about the spiders with the flesh eating venom! Frank...

111-1 profileRED.jpg

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Here in rural Mexico, our big problem is scorpions. I have taught a few people to use McCormick's meat tenderizer. (The active ingredient is Papaina.) I carry it with me whenever I leave the house.

One as instantly as possible makes a paste of the salt-looking tenderizer, and rubs it on the bite, more or less continuously for ten minutes. So far everyone who has done that has found total and complete cure. The other choice is rushing to the hospital for anti-venom.

I taught this to my English student kids. And, gave both families their own bottle of tenderizer. One girl, a few days later, her aunt got stung, and she rushed and put the stuff on just as I described. Next trip down town the aunt also bought her own bottle of tenderizer.

A cousin got stung on his back, but only put it on twice. He ended up getting all floppy a couple hours later, and had to go to the hospital. Continuously for ten minutes.

By the way, the antivenom costs over $100 USD per dose, and they may need two doses.

I sometimes get woke up in the middle of the night to drive a kid to the hospital. By the time they get to my house the poison is in their blood and it is too late for tenderizer.

it does also work for bee stings. And, yes, those are ant bites you have. I get them here from time to time. those teeny, tiny ants produce great lumps just like that. I don't know if tenderizer would work or not.

if you get massive chigger bites, the answer if Listerine. Wet a cloth, really wet, and hold it in one place for five or ten seconds, then repeat until you cover the entire area of bites.

Tenderizer also works on jelly fish stings, but get at it quick.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
two old cures for venomous ant and bee stings * one is tobacco --take a pinch of it wet it with spit and put on the affected bite area --it will pull the venom out and counters the sting --the other is ammonia * stinks but it too "counters" the venom --vinegar is known to counter the stings of jellyfish as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread