Building off grid CHEAP!!!

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that a type of alaskan mill? A friend of mine makes furniture and he built one with 2 chainsaws and 1 bar. We slabbed out a giant sycamore at a rental of mine and made probably 15 or so slabs about 4" thick. Was quite the contraption lol. It was pretty cool listening to the 2 saw's hum almost in unison.

IMG_2218.JPG IMG_2220.JPG IMG_2222.JPG

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that a type of alaskan mill? A friend of mine makes furniture and he built one with 2 chainsaws and 1 bar. We slabbed out a giant sycamore at a rental of mine and made probably 15 or so slabs about 4" thick. Was quite the contraption lol. It was pretty cool listening to the 2 saw's hum almost in unison.

View attachment 1133390 View attachment 1133391 View attachment 1133392

Yep. Granberg mini mill.

I should say that I do love timber framing. To think that some of the buildings built hundreds of years ago with this method are still standing today make one wonder where we went wrong.

And for those who want to go way old school:

Instead of using the saw to cut the small cuts, you would just notch with a regular axe. Kinda makes one have a great deal of respect for those who built with just a few axes and a lot of sweat.

One more:

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those chain saw mills are great, especially in a remote area.

I bought a small band saw mill 15 years ago, and have had a lot of fun with it.

The kerf is so much smaller, you get a lot more lumber, with less effort.

I know initial cost is a lot more than a chain saw system, but if you have access to logs, and are ambitious, you can pay for it .

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you going to build a cabin?

Sent from a empty soda can!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nope. Already have one. Just putting this out there for everyone else.

Besides, I like tools, and one can never have enough tools.
Yup, I'm right there with you on that! I am always buying tools! LOL Having built this home in Maine I learned a tremendous amount about construction. Just some interior work left and I'm all done with it and ready to sell and get about the business of remodeling my other home in Florida. I think it;s going to take a sepperate moving truck just for my tools!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread