Bullet and Shell Casings

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these at the site I've been working, can anybody tell me what era these are?

031.JPG 028.JPG 025.JPG

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert But my guess is after the 1870's......jmho

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you measure them precisely? If we can determine what caliber they are that will help quite a bit in determining the age. I can tell you they weren't fired in a Henry rifle since there is only one firing pin impression, but that's about it.

The US Cartridge Company was founded in 1869 in Lowell Mass, and was eventually bought out be Winchester in 1926.

OP
OP
R

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you measure them precisely? If we can determine what caliber they are that will help quite a bit in determining the age. I can tell you they weren't fired in a Henry rifle since there is only one firing pin impression, but that's about it.

The US Cartridge Company was founded in 1869 in Lowell Mass, and was eventually bought out be Winchester in 1926.
when you say precisely do you mean inside diameter and length of shell casing?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the shell diameter is 1/2 inch and casing length is 7/8 inch. thanks.

Ok, I'm going to say you most likely have .56-56 Spencer shells there. They were made commercially up into the 1920's by a few makers, I really can't narrow it down any more than between 1869 and 1926 at the moment. I can't find any info on when US Cartridge Co made them.

OP
OP
R

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'm going to say you most likely have .56-56 Spencer shells there. They were made commercially up into the 1920's by a few makers, I really can't narrow it down any more than between 1869 and 1926 at the moment. I can't find any info on when US Cartridge Co made them.
thank you very much for the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread