Limitool
Gold Member
- Joined
- Jun 9, 2013
- Messages
- 7,955
- Reaction score
- 12,322
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Middle TN. area
- Detector(s) used
- White XLT Spectrum E-Series
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
I went to MI. last week and stayed at an old home in Otsego. I'd MD'd this yard some last year. At that time I dug up some coins, tokens and an old Cleveland railroad button from the 1920's & 30's. Really didn't find anything of value at all but had a lot of fun with son and grandson. Then I got a strong hit right on the back corner of the house. At the time we dug down about 8-9", hit a large rock and removed it. Just below the rock was a zinc canning jar lid. We started to dig out around it but soon discovered the jar was broken in many places. We removed the pieces, lid and all loose debris. I re-MD'd and got nothing at all. The ground there was VERY wet and soft due to a gutter dumping right on this spot. This all happened last summer. The soil around there is very sandy.
Early this week I was MDing this old yard again. And… again I was finding mostly just old junk. I did find an old aluminum "Good Luck Token" from the 20's. It had Geo. W. Heene Cleveland, OH on one side and George Dewey on the other along with an American flag in the center of the star. I also found many coins but none were really old at all. Then I got a strong hit out by the driveway. Dug down about 6-7" and hit a rock. Removed rock and found another zinc canning jar lid. Same thing again. Broken jar w/lid and then nothing. Moved to center of yard and again got strong hit. Dug down, hit a large flat rock, removed and ANOTHER zinc canning jar lid (see photo). Went and got camera this time. We dug around jar and again the jar was broke. But this time no glass except where the zinc lid screwed onto the glass jar. I re-MD'd and got nothing…AGAIN!
QUESTION: I wonder if mother nature (frost line-water) broke the jars up and if they contained coins they "sank" into the soft soil deeper than my MD could pick up….? I probably should have just dug 18"-24" down and re-MD'd then. Doesn't it seem weird finding 3 jar lids each lying flat with a rock on top of each? I should probably have my son go out and dig deeper. Any ideas?
Early this week I was MDing this old yard again. And… again I was finding mostly just old junk. I did find an old aluminum "Good Luck Token" from the 20's. It had Geo. W. Heene Cleveland, OH on one side and George Dewey on the other along with an American flag in the center of the star. I also found many coins but none were really old at all. Then I got a strong hit out by the driveway. Dug down about 6-7" and hit a rock. Removed rock and found another zinc canning jar lid. Same thing again. Broken jar w/lid and then nothing. Moved to center of yard and again got strong hit. Dug down, hit a large flat rock, removed and ANOTHER zinc canning jar lid (see photo). Went and got camera this time. We dug around jar and again the jar was broke. But this time no glass except where the zinc lid screwed onto the glass jar. I re-MD'd and got nothing…AGAIN!
QUESTION: I wonder if mother nature (frost line-water) broke the jars up and if they contained coins they "sank" into the soft soil deeper than my MD could pick up….? I probably should have just dug 18"-24" down and re-MD'd then. Doesn't it seem weird finding 3 jar lids each lying flat with a rock on top of each? I should probably have my son go out and dig deeper. Any ideas?
Attachments
Last edited:
Upvote
18
)
Charles Darwin did extensive research on why artifacts are found at different depths.. its because of earth worms!!! They bring the dirt they eat to the surface and when their burrows cave in the object sinks more and more as they burrow under objects. The most and object can sink is like in a very soft dirt area where there are lots of deep digging crawlers crawlers...usually where the rain falls a lot and the grass is mowed and the mulch becomes food for more worms like in a foot ball stadium. The coins will sink in an area like this 2.3" per decade (10 years)....adjust this 2.3 to your diff. digging conditions. A coin will sink less in areas of sandy soil and dryer where there are not so many earth worms. Also certain trees are not preferable to worms like Adler and Pines..coins will not sink as much. ...leave build up thru the years will cover objects also but only about 1" per decade from regular decaying causes. Archeologists use his findings today to uncover artifacts! Where you are hunting looks good for worms ..so say if it's not the ideal area for deep digging crawlers... say only 2" fer decade..coins lost around that 1898 farm house would be roughly 11 decades which would mean the coins dropped there in 1898 would be approximately 22" deep!!! So I guess I am saying dig the deepest signals you can. USE THIS METHOD IN OLD HUNTED OUT PARKS AND OTHER SIMILAR PLACES! Read Darwin's worm theory..very interesting. I can't wait not to try it! No more ice cream scoops! LOL John 6-26-15






