Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-\ I found some of those in the same condition. Mine don't look much better after cleaning. :P I'll follow your thread and see how yours turns out. :) Good luck! Super finds~

Nana :wink:

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but I can't help you. If you have a college nearby, you might consult with someone in the chemestry department. They might have an idea.

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
i have never had to clean anything burnt but for the copper I use the normal peroxide method and just water n mild soap on silver. It just depends what you are going for. I have a silver that is an 1841-O dime that was in great shape (nicest coin I have ever dug) except for half of the obverse side it was a little black. I don't plan on selling it so I actually cleaned it with a little bit of baking soda n it shined right up. This WILL scratch your coin tho.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also find the occasional burned coin but have not cleaned them as they are usually aluminum junk coins anyway. I would also suggest electrolysis.. Congrats on the silver and HH, Mike

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Nice finds!

I can offer no thoughts on the nickel. The dollar, though, does not look like it has been all that badly compromised by possible exposure to fire.

Before resorting to electrolysis or other more "heavy artillery" cleanong methods, I would try soaking the dollar overnight in highly diluted household vinegar. Use common white vinegar from the grocery store, and cut it with water to a 20-25% solution. If the treatment sows progress, it can be repeated. You may never get the coin perfectly clean, though.

artorius

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

2 morgans from one site. This thread should have got alot more attention. You speak of it like you find them every day at every burnt out house.

I think I know what will do the job. I've gotten great results tumbling really bad silver coins. Just dish soap aquarium gravel and a half cup of cold water. Let tumble for awhile hrs. Then repeat process. Should bring the one back great. The other it should help alot to.

HH Jer

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
NICE COINS. HOPE YOU FIND A WAY TO CLEAN THEM.

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Thanks everyone. As of today, we've gotten about 10lbs. of silver coins. They are mostly melted.
Newt

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
In that case, I would just scrap 'em........NGE

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to try an Oxalic Acid soak (wood bleach). It just might remove the crud.

Wait...WOAH Did you say TEN POUNDS OF SILVER???!!! I Hope to GOD you post your finds! That's Incredible!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
if my house were to ever burn.........oh perish the thought! I can see someone finding a 100 pound lump of copper..........NGE

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I think you should take the time to clean the coins that can be cleaned... With that many coins, you'll get more even cleaned than scrap value, as long as the coins are recognizable.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
BuckleBoy said:
By the way, I think you should take the time to clean the coins that can be cleaned... With that many coins, you'll get more even cleaned than scrap value, as long as the coins are recognizable.

Regards,

Buckles

I kept a souvenir section of quarters. The silver was mostly 1964 quarters that were rolled and melted together. I'll make a post of everything when we get done diggin'.
Thanks
Newt

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Curious question? has the insurance already paid the homeowners for the loss of home and coins? Or do the owners not know that you are finding their old coins in the debris?.........NGE

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
BuckleBoy said:

Regards,

Buckles

I kept a souvenir section of quarters. The silver was mostly 1964 quarters that were rolled and melted together. I'll make a post of everything when we get done diggin'.
Thanks
Newt

I look forward to it. I have a hunch it'll make an appearance up top! :wink:

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Curious question? has the insurance already paid the homeowners for the loss of home and coins? Or do the owners not know that you are finding their old coins in the debris?.........NGE

Yes, Insurance has been paid. It burnt years ago. The family has since moved to another state and it's a farm now.
Newt

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Newt, may sound silly, but have you tried a gum eraser? I have had some success on other coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread