Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Attachments

• Dollar.jpg
    Dollar.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,449
Upvote 0
Man, two Morgans in one hunt, I'd be back at that site real soon. As far as cleaning, first check the value of the coins. (Can't make out the mintmarks) If common date and value, I'd first microwave a small cup of peroxide until boiling, then drop each coin in individually. This is done mainly for copper coins, but won't hurt silver. Then try picking off all that you can pick. Electrolysis works well, but you must make sure that you keep an eye on the coins. Keep us posted!

Newt,

I'd start with the least invasive method first. I'd try Peroxide method--then if that doesn't work, try Oxalic acid (a guy used it to clean a gold coin he found, and that San Francisco gold coin Cache posted in "The Best of TreasureNet" was cleaned in the same way. rtde also used Oxalic acid to clean the gold coin he found in the Shark Pit--with GREAT results. I don't think it will react with Silver--and I'm SURE it won't react with gold. It only reacts with the crud.

I would use electrolysis as a last result. Electrolysis is the most time consuming and the most potentially harmful to the finds of the three methods also.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Newt, i know of a burned out house in the woods, land was developed all around it. It burned to the ground with only bricks left, I am puzzeled how to detect it, do tell me your method......

Kinda off topic, but if you ever get thru Montrose, Colorado be sure & visit the detector shop there...name escapes me. He's got a chunk of burned/fused silver coins must be the better part of 1-to-2 gallons in volume. If memory serves, they're all Silver Dollars.

Neat find...Keep in mind there may also be some caches of coins on the property. :thumbsup:

Nice coins. I like em.. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back