Bust Dime and Park Shield from short hunt

Sep 30, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SilverUmax
Went to a secluded area with trails and a soccer field to hike and decided to go for a short hunt afterwards. It was extremely hot and humid so I told myself 20 minutes and that's it. I was not expecting to find much as the area looked newer. First plug was an old pull tab. I thought oh.. maybe this place is old. Second target... old copper shield that says Acova Park on one side and 15 on the other... Not sure what this is. Next hole.... a modern Jefferson.... My last and final hole (Sweating to death)... looked like a foreign coin in the plug, but turned out to be an 1832 bust dime and in amazing condition. I couldn't believe it. My oldest coin to date. After I dug it I said to myself, "You know what, your not going to top this ;eave while your on top." I will definitely be going back to this location tomorrow.

By the way how would you grade this dime? I know nothing about grading coins. Looks really nice to me for being in the ground. Very little if any wear.

Attachments

• 2016-06-15_18.39.37[1].jpg
    2016-06-15_18.39.37[1].jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 2016-06-15_18.36.45[1].jpg
    2016-06-15_18.36.45[1].jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 16
I would ask what part of NKY, but I know how it works. I'm from that area.....Warsaw/Carrollton. Can't wait to get back to my stomping grounds and do some real dirt digging. Had my detector for ten years and never did any SERIOUS hunting there. You just motivated me by seeing that bust dime......one of my favorite type coins. Perfect rim and great details. May be an almost uncirculated.....extra fine at the least. Whitman red book indicates anywhere from $300-$450....at the least. If it is mint state 60? $1k. Awesome save!

Thank you all for your reply's. I am still in awe... I rarely find silver let alone a bust dime... Here are some more pictures of the dime in different types of light. I am still shaking.... :thumbsup:

I was thinking about sending it in for grading, but am a little concerned about the edge seen in the last picture on the reeding. A little dinged... not from me though.. got lucky and pinpointed it just right. What do you coin experts think?

Thank you for your help and happy hunting...

Wow, you rarely find silver and you get that - not only hard to find, but in amazing condition. i have to admit i am jealous, as i love that series of coin and have yet to find one. i came close, with an 1840 seated. I just can't stop looking at it!

Btw, hit that area hard - there may be more around. Also, if you need help on the research side of things, PM me.

That is one amazing dime and the edge nick is minimal. Thanks for sharing and may we all be that lucky some day!

Dude, amazing find, great condition...:occasion14:

That is one sick (in a good way) dime!!

Beautiful coin! As the poster above stated...hit that area HARD!

aj

GOOGLE - The History of Avoca Park
If that is where that badge is from, you have a memento of a really interesting piece of Ohio history.
I'm really impressed with the condition of the bust dime. Just for giggles,, pass it by a magnet.

Thank you. Yes that is where I found both the badge and the bust dime. Ha ha I tried the magnet just to make sure. It seemed too good to be true when I first dug it.

That's the nicest old dime I've ever seen someone on ANY of the forums dig. Second place isn't even close,but maybe I haven't seen enough of them. You'd have to break out the paddles if I found that,it'd be instant heart failure for sure! That's one of the best finds overall as far as silver coins go for your area...and really ANY area. What a beautiful find!

Thank you all for your reply's. I am still in awe... I rarely find silver let alone a bust dime... Here are some more pictures of the dime in different types of light. I am still shaking.... :thumbsup:

I was thinking about sending it in for grading, but am a little concerned about the edge seen in the last picture on the reeding. A little dinged... not from me though.. got lucky and pinpointed it just right. What do you coin experts think?

Thank you for your help and happy hunting...

View attachment 1326089View attachment 1326091View attachment 1326092View attachment 1326093View attachment 1326094

I still think u should have it graded, that Nick is nothing

The OH token cataloger agrees that the shield-shaped token is from the club house run by the DAV after WWI at Avoca Park on the Little Miami river east of Cincinnati. The diework is that of a Cincinnati maker - in fact I see the maker's signature (Wright & Co. Cin. O.) in tiny lettering under the word Park on the obverse and under the 15 on the reverse. I'd like to post it on tokencatalog.com if I could have your permission to use your pics. Also need the height and width. Thanks!
John in the Great 208
John,

Thank you for your help. Let me know what you find about that token. I am really currious.

The OH token cataloger agrees that the shield-shaped token is from the club house run by the DAV after WWI at Avoca Park on the Little Miami river east of Cincinnati. The diework is that of a Cincinnati maker - in fact I see the maker's signature (Wright & Co. Cin. O.) in tiny lettering under the word Park on the obverse and under the 15 on the reverse. I'd like to post it on tokencatalog.com if I could have your permission to use your pics. Also need the height and width. Thanks!
John in the Great 208

John,

Sorry for the delay. You may use my picture. I feel honored. The dimensions are about 1x1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back