What's new

?Button find?

thewatchers

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently found this in my shop sitting on the shelf. I bought my house about 2 years ago and it was in some of the bags of trash and garbage they left for me. It say Newark NJ on the back and something mfg. but i forget the name and the button is not with me right now. Just wondering what it is and if maybe its a repo cause its in such good condition. I know the pics are real fuzzy but its all I got till I can find the cameras cord. I think you can make it out enough if your a button collector. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • PIC-0380.webp
    PIC-0380.webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 354
  • PIC-0379.webp
    PIC-0379.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 342
It a US army great seal button. they started using them in 1902. I believe yours proably dates about WWI. The only company from Newark NJ I can think of right off is American Button co. which went out of business about 1920
 
Upvote 0
Look on page 2 of this thread for Newark N.J backmarks. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212590.100.html

15 R. LIEBMANN MFG. CO.-NEWARK NJ-
16- R.L. MFG Co Newark N.J.
21- AMERICAN BUTTON CO. *NEWARK N.J.* 1901-1920
22- AM. BUTTON CO *NEWARK, N.J.* 1902-1917
24- UNIQUE ART MFG CO. NEWARK, N. J.
25- THE ART METAL WORKS, NEWARK, N.J.
26- ART METAL WORKS INC -NEWARK, N.J.- 1900-1930 approx.
50- L.A. MYERS. JR. INC. NEWARK N.J.
58- THE J.E. MERGOTT CO. NEWARK, N. J.


If its not on the list, get back to me and Ill add it.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Look on page 2 of this thread for Newark N.J backmarks. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212590.100.html

15 R. LIEBMANN MFG. CO.-NEWARK NJ-
16- R.L. MFG Co Newark N.J.
21- AMERICAN BUTTON CO. *NEWARK N.J.* 1901-1920
22- AM. BUTTON CO *NEWARK, N.J.* 1902-1917
24- UNIQUE ART MFG CO. NEWARK, N. J.
25- THE ART METAL WORKS, NEWARK, N.J.
26- ART METAL WORKS INC -NEWARK, N.J.- 1900-1930 approx.
50- L.A. MYERS. JR. INC. NEWARK N.J.
58- THE J.E. MERGOTT CO. NEWARK, N. J.


If its not on the list, get back to me and Ill add it.
yep thats it. Number 15. Does anyone know of what kind of value they hold?
 
Upvote 0
I found one last year in a park in NW Missouri along with a buffalo nickel in the same hole. It's probably my best find to date (I don't find much of anything old).
 
Upvote 0
thewatchers said:
yep thats it. Number 15. Does anyone know of what kind of value they hold?
Maybe the rarer backmarks will have more value in the future but right now the common ones are only worth about a buck or two each. It is an authentic WWI military button and value may go up some day. http://tinyurl.com/ygw5ejs
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom