What's new

button found near cellar hole

squidman

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
rhode island
Detector(s) used
ace 250
foundthis buttn about 5feet awayfrom a cellar hole and 2feet from a old well.its about quartersize andthe back hasthe letters l a t e d in capitals above the looped shank the front is shiny in some areasbut i seeno designs or writing.found in rhodeislandthanx4 looking
 

Attachments

  • buttonfront.webp
    buttonfront.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 373
Plated

It's an old one, keep looking there, could be something good!
 
Upvote 0
I agree, keep looking. hope ya don't mind, I cropped the pic
 

Attachments

  • buttonfront.webp
    buttonfront.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
I get sick of these, keep seeing them for a split second as Silver coins :tongue3:

Circa 1820s
 
Upvote 0
That type of button is called a flat button or coin button and like Crusader says dates around the 1820's or so
 
Upvote 0
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome
 
Upvote 0
Cru,I know what you mean. I'm not sure when they started using chrome but I have some like that myself. Maybe I should have said the button was supposed to have been silver plated.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.

I disagree, most of my plated from this period are not silver.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.

I disagree, most of my plated from this period are not silver.


So what are they?
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.

I disagree, most of my plated from this period are not silver.


So what are they?
no idea, some other type of chroming (white metal)
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.

I disagree, most of my plated from this period are not silver.


So what are they?

I have often wonder myself.

But just think for a minute:

These were made when there was a shortage of Silver in the UK (hence the Bank Tokens etc,,). No button maker would put a precious metal like Silver on a 'very common' button without advertising the fact ie. Treple GILT (for Gold). I have seen no backmarks with 'Silver Plated' on it. The only except is Military Officer buttons & the like, for obivious reasons.

Most importantly, I find silver & silver plated objects all the time, & I have never seen one of these buttons come up like silver. (no blacking ever)
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.

I disagree, most of my plated from this period are not silver.


So what are they?

I have often wonder myself.

But just think for a minute:

These were made when there was a shortage of Silver in the UK (hence the Bank Tokens etc,,). No button maker would put a precious metal like Silver on a 'very common' button without advertising the fact ie. Treple GILT (for Gold). I have seen no backmarks with 'Silver Plated' on it. The only except is Military Officer buttons & the like, for obivious reasons.

Most importantly, I find silver & silver plated objects all the time, & I have never seen one of these buttons come up like silver. (no blacking ever)


Maybe it's some type of silver wash that wasn't 100% silver and that's why it doesn't really tone like silver. I'm actualy surprised at this stage of the game neither of us can answer that.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.

I disagree, most of my plated from this period are not silver.


So what are they?

I have often wonder myself.

But just think for a minute:

These were made when there was a shortage of Silver in the UK (hence the Bank Tokens etc,,). No button maker would put a precious metal like Silver on a 'very common' button without advertising the fact ie. Treple GILT (for Gold). I have seen no backmarks with 'Silver Plated' on it. The only except is Military Officer buttons & the like, for obivious reasons.

Most importantly, I find silver & silver plated objects all the time, & I have never seen one of these buttons come up like silver. (no blacking ever)


Maybe it's some type of silver wash that wasn't 100% silver and that's why it doesn't really tone like silver. I'm actualy surprised at this stage of the game neither of us can answer that.

Maybe Nickel plate? I know nickel started being used in the 1700s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
IP had it. It should read "plated" meaning the button was silver plated

I've often wonder about this, as they often do not look like silver to me. I believe its some kinda chrome


But early military can flake the same way and I'm sure they would have to be silver plate.

I disagree, most of my plated from this period are not silver.


So what are they?

I have often wonder myself.

But just think for a minute:

These were made when there was a shortage of Silver in the UK (hence the Bank Tokens etc,,). No button maker would put a precious metal like Silver on a 'very common' button without advertising the fact ie. Treple GILT (for Gold). I have seen no backmarks with 'Silver Plated' on it. The only except is Military Officer buttons & the like, for obivious reasons.

Most importantly, I find silver & silver plated objects all the time, & I have never seen one of these buttons come up like silver. (no blacking ever)


Maybe it's some type of silver wash that wasn't 100% silver and that's why it doesn't really tone like silver. I'm actualy surprised at this stage of the game neither of us can answer that.

Maybe Nickel plate? I know nickel started being used in the 1700s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel

I bet that would be possibilty on buttons like Livery. I have a feeling we're all going to learn something very soon. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom