Button I.D Help...Military? Royal??

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody...I have this button that is about the size of a U.S.Quarter...it reads:viribus unitis 1848 F R Joseph 1(franz joseph the 1st),can't remember the latin(?)...all united?,anyway i'd like to know if it was a military or royal. on the button eagle is holding a sword&septer(military?),opposed to the ones w/septer+orb.recessed,rolled over back,think the outer is silver? Any help will be greatly appreciated,thank's!!!

Attachments

• 2 469.jpg
    2 469.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 638
  • 2 470.jpg
    2 470.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 580
  • 2 471.jpg
    2 471.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 541

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokenhead said:
CRUSADER said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:
Looks like a modern blazer button to me. I found one very similar to it a few years ago.
Got a pic?,i'm pretty sure it's NOT modern...Thanks for input!

Here it is. It is modeled after a 1780 Austrian Thaler coin, its similar to yours, but definitely not the same button. Hope yours is an oldie!!!!
Thank You...I DO BELEIVE mine is from the era on button of mine...was from a button collection of a woman who had collected for 80+yrs.all higher end stuff,not that that proves it's old but...I've added some closer(i hope!)pics...red color is refection.
Generally it would be very unusual to produce a coin button with a date similar or near to the time of construction. In simple terms would you wear a 2008 nickle as a button? Not very appealing or fashionable. Much better to copy a 'classic' coin from old, much more of a conversation piece. The idea also stems from when things like Georgian coins were drilled in the Victorian period to make actually coin/buttons. They were not drilled in the Georgian period when the coins had more value & were less worn. Also the Georgians/Victorians copied Roman Coins like Nero for buttons.

Forgetting all of that & looking at the construction gives it away as a 20th century blazer button.
Based on your info. i LEAN corrected,it's a blazer button! not military/royal...Thank's so much for your input!,early or late 20th.century? i would give it to ANY button collector if needed...Thank's all!

I would guess second half of the 1900s, however, it maybe made in 1948 (exactly 100 years after the dated coin)??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tokenhead said:
CRUSADER said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:
Looks like a modern blazer button to me. I found one very similar to it a few years ago.
Got a pic?,i'm pretty sure it's NOT modern...Thanks for input!

Here it is. It is modeled after a 1780 Austrian Thaler coin, its similar to yours, but definitely not the same button. Hope yours is an oldie!!!!
Thank You...I DO BELEIVE mine is from the era on button of mine...was from a button collection of a woman who had collected for 80+yrs.all higher end stuff,not that that proves it's old but...I've added some closer(i hope!)pics...red color is refection.
Generally it would be very unusual to produce a coin button with a date similar or near to the time of construction. In simple terms would you wear a 2008 nickle as a button? Not very appealing or fashionable. Much better to copy a 'classic' coin from old, much more of a conversation piece. The idea also stems from when things like Georgian coins were drilled in the Victorian period to make actually coin/buttons. They were not drilled in the Georgian period when the coins had more value & were less worn. Also the Georgians/Victorians copied Roman Coins like Nero for buttons.

Forgetting all of that & looking at the construction gives it away as a 20th century blazer button.
Based on your info. i LEAN corrected,it's a blazer button! not military/royal...Thank's so much for your input!,early or late 20th.century? i would give it to ANY button collector if needed...Thank's all!

I would guess second half of the 1900s, however, it maybe made in 1948 (exactly 100 years after the dated coin)??
Thank-You &for your effort in this topic...100yr. after(1948)sound's pretty good!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread