Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - found this a few weeks ago, the back broke off while cleaning it, it was pretty trashed to begin with so I used limeaway toilet bowl cleaner for a minute and it cleaned up pretty nice. it measures at 19mm, has 21 stars around the outside of the eagle and also has 5 stars on the top part of the breast shield. The button is thin but pretty strong. No makers marks on the back that I can see. Can anyone give me an idea on the date? Pictures are from the outside and the inside,
Thanks in advance.
IMAG0169.jpgIMAG0170.jpg

Found this in NE Ohio about 15 miles S.E. of Cleveland

Upvote 0
Union General staff button.. With no back-mark I think it is post war.. Someone else will have to shed light on that but I don't think it is CW period but it could be. Good luck with it!

Attachments

• staff.jpg
    staff.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 74
  • staff1.jpg
    staff1.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0
No a magnet will not stick to it - looks similar Hut - thanks.

Upvote 0
HutSiteDigger is correct, it's a US Army Staff-Officer button, and it is from sometime after the civil up war to 1902. The 21 stars around the eagle, 5 stars in the shield, and being "vest-size" prove it is button GS2B in the Albert button-book, and GS202B in the Tice button-book. The "vest-size" US Staff-Officer buttons are not found on civil war battlesites nor campsites. The only known backmark on these GS2B/GS202B buttons is a postwar Waterbury Button Co. backmark.

Upvote 0
Thanks as always Cannon - thanks Everyone!

Upvote 0
As I said in my post above, the only known backmark on these GS-2B/GS202B buttons is a postwar Waterbury Button Co. backmark, Waterbury Button Co ***, which the McGuinn-& Bazelon book on backmarks says (and shows in a photo) is from 1890 into the early 20th-Century. Tedyoh says his button's back is blank, but we know who made that button. It is definitely the Albert book's 2B version, due to the "projecting" square corners at the top of the shield.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back