What's new

Button Preservation

SpacemanSpiff

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2022
Messages
65
Reaction score
302
Golden Thread
0
Location
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
White’s MXT
What is the best way to preserve relics - especially like the two piece civil war buttons, pewter, etc -so last and don’t fall apart. I’ve heard people say petroleum jelly, Renaissance Wax, among others. What’s y’all’s take? Thanks in advance!
 
I have used white glue diluted with water on pewter but I actually prefer hair spray for those flakey buttons. I have a USA button that I found years ago that was flaking on the edge. The wife's hairspray really got into those nooks and sealed it tight. Every few years I might give it a spray and it is holding up great.
 
What is the best way to preserve relics - especially like the two piece civil war buttons, pewter, etc -so last and don’t fall apart. I’ve heard people say petroleum jelly, Renaissance Wax, among others. What’s y’all’s take? Thanks in advance!
You can not go wrong with Renaissance Wax. I started using about 10 years ago and all the buttons and buckles look like the day I coated them. I am a fan, but I am sure you will get many good ideas here.
 
Last edited:
You can not go wrong with Renaissance Wax. I started using about 10 years ago and all the buttons and buckles look like the day I coated them. I am a fan, but I am sure you will get many good ideas here.
How do you use it? Easy to use? Clear?
 

Attachments

  • 20220129_173315.webp
    20220129_173315.webp
    784.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220129_173212.webp
    20220129_173212.webp
    667.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220129_173255.webp
    20220129_173255.webp
    814.3 KB · Views: 77
dead easy. I use a soft cotton cloth. Instructions on can. Yes, it is clear. Used by British Museum.
Thank you! I’ll order some. I have a ton of civil war buttons and war of 1812 US pewter buttons I need to work on. They are still in great shape after all these years but I want them to last
 
Thank you! I’ll order some. I have a ton of civil war buttons and war of 1812 US pewter buttons I need to work on. They are still in great shape after all these years but I want them to last
Make sure dry before coating. But sure, you knew that. You will be happy with it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom