What's new

button with wings?

KLGourley

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lehigh Acres, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this item metal detecting my grandmother's yard. It appears to be half of some type of emblem with wings. Anybody recognize what it might be? It's about the size of a nickel. there is a 'loop' on the back where it looks like it could have been sewn onto something. Could this be something military?
 

Attachments

  • possiblemilitaryemblem1.webp
    possiblemilitaryemblem1.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 435
Can you post a pic of the other side with the loop?
 
Upvote 0
Here is the back of it. The 'loop' is at the top and is really more square than it is round. Looking at it more closely, the loop doesn't go all the way around; it is more G-shaped. Perhaps it simply fastened onto something and wasn't sewn on anything at all.
 

Attachments

  • wings.webp
    wings.webp
    87.7 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0
Can you photograph it with the nickel alongside? Metal-wise, it looks pewter, or some thin silvered white metal.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a picture with a nickel for comparison. I'm wondering now if maybe it is part of an emblem that was once attached to a vehicle - car, truck, tractor, etc.
 

Attachments

  • DSC05510.webp
    DSC05510.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0
I've searched a bit, but can't find a match. It does appear that there was a shield in the center.
 
Upvote 0
Even though its kinda small I think its a wing buckle, not a button. Does it look like its broken?

buckle wing.webp buckle wing rebel_little_gun_.webp
 
Upvote 0
I'm fairly convinced now that it is not a button.

Bigcypresshunter: It does look like it may be broken. Part of a buckle? Maybe...I'll research that angle more.
IronSpike: Yes, it does have what looks like could have been a shield in the middle (where it looks broken).
 
Upvote 0
At first I didnt know what you meant by shield. The Harley shield doesnt match then I realized you may mean a shield of this shape.
shield1.webp


Could I see another pic of the item alone showing more clearly where its broken? I looks as if its lying on top of an unknown item :dontknow: and I cant see the edge clearly. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
I think you're right on it being a buckle BCH. Being so small it may be a piece attached to a buckle.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
At first I didnt know what you meant by shield. The Harley shield doesnt match then I realized you may mean a shield of this shape.

BCH, that last pic with the wings and shield looks somewhat similar. I think you may be on to something. You may indeed be right about it being part of a small buckle. Thanks for the image and info! Gonna do a little more rearch.
 
Upvote 0
KLGourley said:
bigcypresshunter said:
At first I didnt know what you meant by shield. The Harley shield doesnt match then I realized you may mean a shield of this shape.

BCH, that last pic with the wings and shield looks somewhat similar. I think you may be on to something. You may indeed be right about it being part of a small buckle. Thanks for the image and info! Gonna do a little more rearch.
The pic depicts the possible shape of the shield or badge.
 
Upvote 0
Could part of the wing that is present be broken also? Reason I'm asking look at your typical Military Wings, like this one! There is an upper row of feathers then a lower row.

CommandPilotWings.jpg


Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
No, it doesn't look like any part of the wings themselves are broken - just the section through what apparently was a shield of some sort.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom