By The Numbers-A Count Of My Collection

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got around to doing an accurate count on what I have on display in my artifact room and after about 3 hours of counting and sorting I came up with the figure of 10,436 pieces that are actually out for display. I had estimated between 13,000 to 15,000 total artifacts that I had in my collection and I'd say that if I added in all the Scrapers, Flake Knives, Uniface Tools, and other odds and ends that are still in boxes it would probably be in that range though more then likely closer to the 13,000 mark.

Here's a breakdown on some of the numbers.
Number of trays both Rikers and Wooden - 123
Showcases - 3
Curio Cabinet - 1
Shell Beads - 746
Bone Beads - 368
Stone Celts - 72
Hammerstones - 89
Discoidals - 78
Stone Hoes - 23
Pestles - 9
Axes - 15
Plummets - 24
Grooved Mauls - 2
Showcase #1 - 888 pieces (mostly loose points)
Showcase #2 - 1960 pieces (mostly loose points and scrapers)
Curio Cabinet - 42 pieces
Fossils - 360
Sharks Teeth - 208
That leaves around 8,000+ Arrowheads, Knives, Drills, and Scrapers

If you'd like to see what 45 years worth of collecting looks like then take a look at this link.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll129/DorkFish_77/?start=all

Upvote 0
Good lord better than most museums wish I could find some bone.

Impressive to say the least. A lot of hard work.
No pics of you Steve?

Molly.

Molly said:
No pics of you Steve?

Molly.

I always enjoy seeing your collection. Have you thought about what you will do with it or pass it on to? This has crossed my mind with mine,
Molly here is the only picture Steve has of himself in his artifact room. :laughing7:

Attachments

• th_jeremyo.jpg
    th_jeremyo.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 675
That's actually my son in that picture. He shaved the Block O into his stomach for Michigan week at tOSU.

Here's one from a few years back when I set up at a show at Serpent Mound and another one that I took of my refelction in the side glass of my vehicle right before going out hunting.

2003SerpentMoundShow.jpg

Attachments

• Finds005.jpg
    Finds005.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 438
TnMountains said:
Molly said:
No pics of you Steve?

Molly.

I always enjoy seeing your collection. Have you thought about what you will do with it or pass it on to? This has crossed my mind with mine,
Molly here is the only picture Steve has of himself in his artifact room. :laughing7:

:D

At last I get to see what you look like, ya handsome devil.. ::)
Thanks for posting pics Stev.

Molly. :wink:

Hay Steve , ...A.K.A. ,.. Dorkfish , yeah, I done forgot about that alias . Been awhile since I had a look at your collection , so I just popped in for a quick look , some fine flint for sure !!
With the bone/antler , pipes & hard-stone tis one fine collection !! But , I believe my favorite piece is still your light green/blue [banner] axe ,.. But I’m a bit partial too any sweeet axe !!
Anyway ,... “by the numbers” .. The fewer of the “self-pic’s” the better .... ;D ... Just say’n
Blindpig ,.. A.K.A. ,. Joel

what ferocious collection
very organized
I'm lucky if I have one third as much as you have
BTW, what does Dorkfish mean???
lars

larson1951 said:
what ferocious collection
very organized
I'm lucky if I have one third as much as you have
BTW, what does Dorkfish mean???
lars

It's kind of a long story, but here goes.

When I first joined this site I did so for the sole purpose of calling out a new member who had just came from another board I was on and he was claiming to have found a perfect Cumberland on the surface of a dry cave, which would have been almost impossible. After we called him out on it he went spastic and called us all names that I can't reprint here. After I posted that he was trying to pull a hoax and explained everything to everyone I was banned by the Mods for talking bad about a member. I had joined under my own name, so I decided to re-up under another name and I really never planned on staying around as long as I have so I picked the name DorkFish which is the title of an album by Bill Engvall. After getting on here and posting for a while I decided to stick around and that's why I changed my name to SRV, which are my initials.

hey cool, now i get it
you have the same initials as one of my favorite guitar blues players"Stevie Ray Vaughn"
I always thought that is why you picked theSRV thingy
Jonzer and Geetarman will tell you that they agree
larson1951

I knew that was not you. I was just kidding you and got a kick out of your brothers picture getting ready for the big game. I was not around when the Cumberland was posted I am sure that was an interesting story. I have to tell you that years ago in some deep shelters we did actually recover artifacts on the surface and morters and pestles sitting on boulders.
I have the one item in my cabinet that I picked up off the surface to dig with before I realised it was a knapped hoe. I only know of one Cumberland found on the river that was a surface find. Probably a wash out.
As always good post and thank you for sharing your collection with us.

TnMtns

larson, Stevie Ray is one of my all time favorite guitar players as well and I have almost every album he ever put out, so even though the SRV is my initials, it also represents Stevie as well.

TnMountains, that's actually my son in that picture, not my brother. He is a freshman at Ohio State. As for the Cumberland. He finally came clean and admitted it was a cast and he said that his friends were trying to pull a fast one. I don't know about you but I have held numerous casts and there is no doubt they aren't real when you hold them in your hands so I still think the guy knew it was fake and he was just trying to pull one over on us. The guys name was LuckInKentucky and I think he finally got booted from here and all the other boards as well.

yea i remember that guy, i got a kick out of him saying there were bare footprints still in the cave... :laughing7:

Geez, I'd just like to have a dollar for every mile you've walked gathering that fantastic collection!

It wasn't what he did, it was the fact he was trying to take us all for idiots, that bugged many ppl.
If you are going to come on here with that bs, then be prepared for a show-down.. :D
I was pretty much nuetral, I don't have years behind me to see a fake. But after seeing what this guy was saying in another forum, I was shocked at his language.
I just don't know why ppl do that kinda thing. :dontknow:

Just glad he's gone, thats all I am saying..

Glad you stuck around Steve.

Molly. :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 278
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 276
Definitely the best collection I have seen! I finally got my own arrowhead room. My daughter moved out so I got her old room to put all my displays in. My wife tells everybody that she expects to find me sitting on the floor in the middle of the arrowhead room one day with a great big grin on my face. She says if it was any other room she would be concerned about me. ;D

Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

Steve,

I'm in a blues band and play trumpet and tenor sax and I love SRV, too. Your collection is just amazing. I would love to see it in person one day. Have you ever considered doing a video and posting it on YouTube? That would be somewhat realistic....

It's going to take me an entire night to really go through your collection, but I'v put a link on my desktop for later!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back