Caches To Whet The Appetite!!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
#1. 3 Kids found a duffel bag in a field in Boulder, Co. Colo. It was wet, mouldy, & had been there awhile. 6 mos. after turning it in, they received $98k.
#2. On a rural Birmingham, Al. Churchgrounds, Prison officials were conducting a training exercise, when a curious dog uncovered $110,540 hidden under a mound of earth, pine needles, & straw. 17 mos. later, The Court said the Prison receives $85k. & the Church, the remainder.
#3. 2 Bottle Hunters discovered a rotting burlap bag containing close to $66k. It was determined that the cache was part of a 1957 Armored Car robbery.
#4. 6 Teens found $50k. inside the walls of a vacant Trenton, NJ. house. Unfortunately, one of them began to pass out $100 bills @ school & authorities were called. The cash was confiscated.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
buscadero said:
#1. 3 Kids found a duffel bag in a field in Boulder, Co. Colo. It was wet, mouldy, & had been there awhile. 6 mos. after turning it in, they received $98k.
#2. On a rural Birmingham, Al. Churchgrounds, Prison officials were conducting a training exercise, when a curious dog uncovered $110,540 hidden under a mound of earth, pine needles, & straw. 17 mos. later, The Court said the Prison receives $85k. & the Church, the remainder.
#3. 2 Bottle Hunters discovered a rotting burlap bag containing close to $66k. It was determined that the cache was part of a 1957 Armored Car robbery.
#4. 6 Teens found $50k. inside the walls of a vacant Trenton, NJ. house. Unfortunately, one of them began to pass out $100 bills @ school & authorities were called. The cash was confiscated.

About 15 years ago in the Fort Worth/Dallas metroplex a family found a bag containing more than $300K in their driveway. Being honest, upstanding people they turned the money in to the police, who told them that if it wasn't claimed within a certain time period the family would get the money. It was never claimed, but the family was in for a rude surprise. The feds, the state, the county and city claimed the money was drug money and each level of government skimmed their cut off the top. The family was left with about $80K. And they had to pay income tax on that. Let's all repeat the lesson of this story together, shall we...

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have thought about this many times. What would I do if I found a large amount of cash. I would be afraid to spend it. It could have been used in a undercover, sting operation, or a payment of ransom money. The serial numbers could have been recorded, and I would be the one left holding the bag. I think I would rather report it to authorties and take a chance on getting at least some of it back. Just my thoughts.
Clayton

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:o About 10 yrs ago a couple of brilliant Detroit residents found a large bag of unmarked cash that had fallen out of an Armored Car. It was in small bills & untraceable!

How they were discovered was, they went to a new car dealer the very next day & tried to buy 8-10 cars for cash. themselves, family, & friends!!

May as well wear a sign, "I found that money!"

True Story!

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
buscadero said:
:o About 10 yrs ago a couple of brilliant Detroit residents found a large bag of unmarked cash that had fallen out of an Armored Car. It was in small bills & untraceable!

How they were discovered was, they went to a new car dealer the very next day & tried to buy 8-10 cars for cash. themselves, family, & friends!!

May as well wear a sign, "I found that money!"

True Story!

Hey buscadero,

It just goes to prove that stupid people and money dont mix !!!

Mike in SC

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
simonds said:
I have thought about this many times. What would I do if I found a large amount of cash. I would be afraid to spend it. It could have been used in a undercover, sting operation, or a payment of ransom money. The serial numbers could have been recorded, and I would be the one left holding the bag. I think I would rather report it to authorties and take a chance on getting at least some of it back. Just my thoughts.

I think the key here is to not significantly change your lifestyle by going hog wild and living your dreams the next day. In the scheme of things, $1,000,000 isn't that much money. Especially these days. Legitimately invested, it could yield between $60,000 and $100,000 per year in interest, forever. Without every touching the principle. But stashed in your safe or buried in your back yard it ain't gonna happen. What it will do, is allow you to save your legitimate earnings while using the found money to pay your existing bills and debts. Over the course of a decade or two your day job earnings will build up, and you will naturally be funding your retirement accounts to the maximum your employer permits. You'll live in a modest house and slowly upgrade to a house that is modestly better. You will take occasional nice vacations, eat well and drive a modest car that gets replaced every 5 years or so. Your kids will be able to go to college, if they so choose. But you won't be living in a mansion, pulling the yacht out of its slip every weekend or treating your friends to season tickets and the Super Bowl every year. In short, you will live a reasonably humble life knowing that for the most part you are financially secure.

I'm not advocating anything here, but considering that most money has measurable traces of drugs on it, it seems to me that if one chose to keep the money the first order of business would be to take the cash and distribute it in several pillow cases. Then tie the pillow cases shut and toss them in the washer. Gentle cycle, light detergent, warm wash and cold rinse. When the washer stops, toss them in the dryer. Less than medium heat, 45 minutes. Then put the money in your safe or bury in the yard and SHUT THE HECK UP and don't tell a soul outside your spouse (and then, only because you pretty much have to, and it's the right thing to do unless you are getting divorced). But it's not like I've spent a lot of time thinking about this...

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I haven't thought about what to do w/ the money, but every time I get behind an Armored Car, I wait for the door to come open! :-X

Oh Heck! Of Course, I've thought of spending all that cash! Who Hasn't?

Joe

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree with MiddenMonster, he sounds wise and experienced man, and most of all, a person who uses his head.
Now, about the part, to whom shall we say it or not, my personal opinion, is to no one. Keep it a secret for ever. It is the safest. If one knows a secret, its a secret. If two know it, its not any more.
Digman.

I know a story of someone who found 1 million in a briefcase. He didn't spend a single dollar for five years. Then he started, little by little, to pay his bills while saving his own money, and only after ten years, he told it to his grandson, aged 30.
I saw the grandpa many times, and I remember that he had a very calm face !!!
Digman.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Digman said:
I know a story of someone who found 1 million in a briefcase. He didn't spend a single dollar for five years. Then he started, little by little, to pay his bills while saving his own money, and only after ten years, he told it to his grandson, aged 30.
I saw the grandpa many times, and I remember that he had a very calm face !!!

I don't know if I'm that wise or not. We'll find out if I ever find a big stash of cash. But how's this article for timely? A couple of comments first. To begin with, if you are driving with a large amount of money you shouldn't be speeding, especially if you are driving a vehicle that was rented by someone else. Second, don't lie to the cops. You are far better invoking your right decline to answer questions than to lie. Just say you are not breaking the law in any way and that you decline to answer any other questions. Third: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle, property or person. If you do consent to a search whatever they find and sieze is adjudicated in civil court, not criminal court. That means the burden of proof is "preponderance of the evidence", not "beyond a reasonable doubt." Deny permission for a search, make them get a warrant (if they can) and find it the hard way. Don't cave in no matter how much they try to intimidate you or scare you. You don't get into any more trouble if they have to get a warrant than if you gave them permission. Then if they do find and sieze anything you have your day in criminal court where the burden of proof is much higher, and if you haven't committed any crimes than you are in a better position to have your money returned to you. Fourth, if you are going to travel with a large amount of money, run it through the washing machine before you do. See earlier post. And remember, the cops don't need your permission or probable cause to run a drug dog around your car, and if he signals on something they have the right to investigate further. It's commone knowledge that most money has measurable amounts of drugs on it. Not cleaning it is just an invitation for the cops to sieze it. Not to mention that that much money has all kinds of diseases on it. Fifth, hide it better than in a cooler on the back seat. Finally, read the reasoning of the court very carefully: "We have adopted the commonsense view that bundling and concealment of large amounts of currency, combined with other suspicious circumstances, supports a connection between money and drug trafficking." Catch that? "Bundling and concealment" of a large amount of money contributes to a "commonsense view" that not only is illegal activity in play, but specifically drug trafficing. I guess in the eyes of the court it is far better to leave the money on the seat in plain view. Now, with all that said I do believe this guy was probably running drug money for drug traffickers. With that much money he could have bought a plane ticket back home instead of getting someone to rent a car (I'd never rent a car for anyone!) and driving back. But the facts as presented in the article don't provide any specific evidence that he was involved in drug trafficking. That's like saying because you had a metal detector in your car you are involved in the looting of gold from federal land. Sorry for the rant, but man! This kind of stuff torques my hiney. To the local, state and federal law enforcement authorities, everything is drug related.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...s/california/northern_california/15310257.htm
Posted on Fri, Aug. 18, 2006
Court rules 2003 money seizure correct despite no drugs found
CHUCK BROWN
Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb. - Authorities were correct to assume nearly $125,000 they seized from a California man's car during a traffic stop may have been connected to narcotics trafficking, despite finding no drugs in the vehicle, the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Thursday.

The ruling from the three-judge panel overturned an earlier decision by U.S. Magistrate Judge Thomas Thalken in Nebraska in the case of Emiliano Gomez Gonzolez. A state trooper stopped Gonzolez for speeding on Interstate 80 on May 28, 2003.

Gonzolez's lawyer, Donald Yates of San Diego, said they would appeal the ruling. He said the government is treating unfairly people who don't have credit or bank accounts and are forced to do business in cash.

"They do not allow for anybody to have a lifestyle different from the average person in Nebraska," Yates said.

Gonzolez was driving a car that he told officers had been rented by a man named "Luis." Gonzolez also said he had never been arrested and that he was not carrying drugs, guns or large amounts of money.

After Gonzolez consented, the car was searched and $124,700 in cash was found in a cooler in the back seat. Authorities also learned that Gonzolez had once been arrested for driving while intoxicated and that the person registered as having rented the car was not named "Luis."

A drug dog later detected the scent of narcotics on the money and seat where the money was found.

Gonzolez testified that he lied about having the money because he believed that carrying large sums of money might be illegal. He said he secreted it inside the cooler because he feared it could be stolen while he was on the road.

He planned on using the money to buy a refrigerated truck in Chicago, Gonzolez said, but after arriving there by airplane from California he learned the truck had been sold. He decided to rent a car and drive back to California but needed someone else to rent the car because he had no credit card, he said.

Gonzolez also said he didn't tell officers about his previous arrest because he didn't think driving while intoxicated was a crime.

A federal judge in Nebraska said the evidence was not strong enough to link the money to drug trafficking, but the 8th Circuit Court on Thursday disagreed.

"We believe that the evidence as a whole demonstrates ... that there was a substantial connection between the currency and a drug trafficking offense," the court wrote. "We have adopted the commonsense view that bundling and concealment of large amounts of currency, combined with other suspicious circumstances, supports a connection between money and drug trafficking."

In dissent, Judge Donald Lay said the evidence provided was not enough to conclude the money was used in drug trafficking.

"At most, the evidence presented suggests the money seized may have been involved in some illegal activity - activity that is incapable of being ascertained on the record before us," Lay wrote. "Finally, the mere fact that the canine alerted officers to the presence of drug residue in a rental car, no doubt driven by dozens, perhaps scores, of patrons during the course of a given year, coupled with the fact that the alert came from the same location where the currency was discovered, does little to connect the money to a controlled substance offense."

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MiddenMonster, I completely agree with you. To the local, state and federal law enforcement authorities, everything is drug related.
Digman.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I think we can all learn a lesson from this...you find a duffel bag full of small bills or large cache of coins etc etc...if it's untraceable, keep your stinking mouth shut!!! Spend slow...like MiddenMonster said...use the cache to pay your bills/debt while saving your earnings for upgrades to homes saving for retirement...THE SECOND YOU START SPENDING A LOT YOU SEND UP BIG BIG %&$@(&^ flags that tells the govt something is up. Then they come knocking wanting their share in taxes...pulling B.S. stories about drug money, hot money etc.
KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED AND DON'T SPEND IT ALL AT ONCE!!!!

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Nephews found a bag hidden behind a shed in their yard and took it inside to show my brother-in-law. The bag was full of money and guns. After he'd called the police he had a knock on his door by a guy asking for his bag back. At least the nice bank robber asked politely. The guy was arrested shortly thereafter.

He's moved house now but he kept a pick-axe handle next to the door for quiet a while whilst the guy was still out on bail.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of great stories:

1. This is the God's Honest Truth, and it happened in New York City about 7 or 8 years ago. I used to have the clipping, but can't find it right now. A citizen called the NYPD 911 line to report that someone had broken into his hotel room, and stole a couple of kilos of cocaine! The police asked where he was staying, and what room. The man told them what they wanted to know. They said they would be there shortly to take a report. Needless to say, the man was arrested.

2. This next cache story, ended up about 3 blocks from my first address in California (it happened when I lived there). A guy in North Carolina robbed several banks. His total take was about a million dollars. He disappeared for a while. When he turned back up, he learned the police were on to him. Unfortunately for him, he was caught before he could get away. The police found about $35,000 on him. He refused to say where the rest of the money was. He went to trial, was found guilty, and sentenced to 12 years in jail.

After two years, the guy realized that jail was a place he didn't want to be, so he contacted the DA, and offered to give up the location of the rest of the money in exchange for a shorter sentence. They agreed to half the sentence including time served (after the money was recovered). He gave them the name of a Self-Storage Place in Silver Lake, California (Los Angeles). FBI went to the storage place and gave the alias the robber used to get the storage. The manager told the agents that everything from that unit was gone. When the guy hadn't paid for it, they cut the lock and auctioned off the contents. No records of the names of the purchasers are ever kept.

One of the workers overheard the FBI talking about the description of the container (a blue steamer trunk with brass fittings), he said that there was a trunk like that in the storage area in the basement (the FBI hadn't told anybody just what was in the trunk). When the FBI went to the basement and looked at the trunk, it matched the robbers description exactly. They broke the lock, and opened it up. Inside was almost $900,000.00 cash!

Here is the REALLY sad part! The fact that it was there means that EVERY WEEK when they had an auction, for almost TWO YEARS, that people had been stepping over that trunk. Somebody could have bid $1 and got it. And it was only 3 blocks from my house AT THAT TIME!

Best,

Mike

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Now why didn't you ever go there and bid on stuff!?!? You might have gotten a reward for finding the money!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Skrimpy
Now why didn't you ever go there and bid on stuff!?!? You might have gotten a reward for finding the money!

Reward?? snicker snicker

Tropical Tramp - in training to be a politiciian! heheh

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Digman said:
MiddenMonster, I completely agree with you. To the local, state and federal law enforcement authorities, everything is drug related.
Digman.

Odd coincidence that they started thinking that way shortly after the asset forfeiture laws took effect, isn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread