CaChing! Would you believe a cash register?

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Walking the dogs along the river I ran across an old cellar hole and thought I would poke around in it a little bit. Under some half melted asphalt shingles I noticed the green of old copper and thought that maybe it was some copper plumbing pipe, but after pulling off some of the shingles I saw that it was rectangular in shape, a embossed or cast panel, further digging and boy was I surprised, it was an old, really old style cash register. Most of the keys were rusted off but I did find two glass key tops, the one for 50 cents and the one for 70 cents. The cash drawer was missing >:( but when I pulled it loose from the ground it was buried in, I was amazed to see that the whole back of the cash register was also a cast brass panel! Have not cleaned it off yet.
still hope that maybe there is a Indian head penny in there somewhere ;) The iron parts are very badly rusted and some areas are just gone, but the two base side panels and the back are a small treasure in themselves. Maybe tomorrow I can get it cleaned up some and take a picture to post.

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to a picture. Sounds like a great and interesting find. I assume you are going back there with your detector?

OP
OP
L

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
I would like to go back with my detector, but I have the idea that a sifter screen may be more usefull, there is sheet iron all over the place, and with all those shingles, I assume that they were attached at one time with nails. I have the idea that maybe a rake might be the first tool to take and clear away as much of the junk that is there. As I mentioned, the register was buried under a pile of partly burned/melted shingles along with some that were not burnt. There was a little bit of rotted wood, but not much and what puzzles me is that there was not any charcoal, so I am questioning if the place did or did not burn? The cemented stone foundation is only about 10'x12' but there is a large cement pad area nearby, maybe 20'x20'. No idea about the history of the site, it is way off the beaten track for a store, the nearest old road is at least 300 yards away, but a new development is now encroaching on the area.

S

Scots Gaelic

Nice find! Maybe you should MD from the road up to that spot & try MD'g with iron mask, then use the rake and sifter.

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe I heard of any cash registers being foud before--that has to be a real first.

Congrats

Sherm

OP
OP
L

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Update:
washed the cash register off this morning and it is a National Cash Register Co, Dayton Ohio USA
in the upper left corner of the front, just below where the numbers would have been was a medalion with the number 261440 and on the right in a similar medalion the number 39. Not sure if one is the model number and the other the serial number? In the middle was the information as posted above and the following patented dates, Feb 14 82, Jan 30 83, Sep 1 85, Nov 25 89, Feb 25 90, Sep 6 92,
May 23 93, June 13 93, Oct 27 96. On the back panel "National" is flanked by "Dayton" & "Ohio".
Did not find any coins in what I washed out, but did find an additional key number, I added "40" to my "50" & "70" keys I would guess from the Patented dates that it was manufactured around the turn of the century, though the dates don't say 1896, from its construction and apparent age, I am sure it does not mean 1996 ;D Now if I could just find some comparatively dated coins on this site.

OP
OP
L

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005

Attachments

• CR Three views.jpg
    CR Three views.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 802

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I bet you could still get some good money for whatever parts could be salvaged from that. Lots of guys restoring those old cash registers. That could be a couple hundred dollar find in parts. Well done!

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
littleneckhalfshell said:
Did a little checking and it seems from information on this site
http://brassregisters.com/ncr/info/dates.htm regarding the serial #
the Cash Register was shipped from National after Nov. 8, 1901 and
before Feb. 17, 1902

My gawd, the things y'can find out online! Shakin' my head on *that* find. :o

Not to mention, finding the cash register at all - how wild! Very very cool.

Wow, what a hobby... ;D

HH
Nan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be one of the coolest finds I've seen on here in a while! Makes me wonder about the circumstances of the drawer getting pulled out... I wonder if the register was found after a fire and forced open...if that were the case, then there could be coins that fell out of the cash drawer in the immediate area...

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread