Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Her's a odd tale...

PLL

By Chuck Woodbury
editor, Out West

Hi Jolly and the U.S. Camel Corps are honored at Hi Jolly's grave in Quartzsite.

QUARTZSITE, Ariz. -- One of the most interesting military experiments of the American West involved 77 camels and a Syrian named Hi Jolly. His real name was Hadji Ali, and he's remembered today at a pyramid-shaped monument in the Quartzsitecemetery.

The story of Hi Jolly began in 1855 when Secretary of War Jefferson Davis was told of an innovative plan to import camels to help build and supply a Western wagon route from Texas to California. It was a dry, hot and otherwise hostile region, not unlike the camel's natural terrain in the Middle East.

Davis, convinced of the idea, proposed a Camel Military Corps to Congress. "For military purposes, and for reconnaissances, it is believed the dromedary would supply a want now seriously felt in our service," he explained.

Congress agreed and appropriated $30,000.

Major Henry Wayne was sent to the Middle East where he bought 33 of the animals. With much difficulty, they were loaded onto a Navy ship (with part of its deck modified to accommodate the large creatures) and transported to Texas. There Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale took over. Forty-four more camels arrived later.

Hadji Ali and another foreigner were hired to teach the soldiers how to pack the animals. The Americans had a hard time pronouncing Ali's name so they nicknamed him Hi Jolly.

Beale left on a Western expedition in June, 1857, with Hi Jolly along as chief camel driver. Camels were loaded with 600 to 800 pounds each and traveled 25 to 30 miles a day. If the animals fared well, a series of Army posts could be set up later along the route to relay mail and supplies across the Southwest.

After reaching California the expedition returned to Texas, a success -- at least to Beale.

"The harder the test they (the camels) are put to, the more fully they seem to justify all that can be said of them," Beale wrote. "They pack water for days under a hot sun and never get a drop; they pack heavy burdens of corn and oats for months and never get a grain; and on the bitter greasewood and other worthless shrubs, not only subsist, but keep fat."

He concluded, "I look forward to the day when every mail route across the continent will be conducted and worked altogether with this economical and noble brute."

But perhaps he was too optimistic. What he didn't say was that the camels didn't take to the West's rocky soil. And prospectors' burros and mules -- and even Army mules -- were afraid of the odd-looking creatures and would sometimes panic at their sight.

Still, in 1858, then-Secretary of War John Floyd told Congress, "The entire adaptation of camels to military operations on the Plains may now be taken as demonstrated."

He urged Congress to authorize the purchase of 1,000 more camels.

Congress didn't act, however, as it was preoccupied with trouble brewing between the North and South.

With the first shots of the Civil War, the Camel Military Corps was as good as dead. Most of the animals were auctioned off, although a few escaped into the desert where most were shot by prospectors and hunters as pests.

Hi Jolly kept a few and started a freighting business between the Colorado River ports and mining camps to the east. The business failed, however, and Jolly released his last camel in the desert near Gila Bend. Years later, after marrying a Tucson woman and fathering two children, Hi Jolly moved to Quartzsite where he mined with a burro. He died in 1902 at age 73 and was buried in the Quartzsite Cemetery.
camelmon.jpg

To his dying day, Hi Jolly believed that a few of the camels still roamed the desert. Some people think the ghosts of some still do.

From Out West #18

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In the late 1800s, it is recorded that a few surprised prospectors saw camels out in the desert. That must be the part of your article where some of the released camels were "shot as pests" by prospectors. If I recall, years had passed between when they had been released (or escaped or whatever) till the later times when they were still being spotted. Not hard to imagine, if you realize that a camel's average lifespan is 40 yrs. There was even speculation that pairs of them breeded out there in the wild :o Supposedly truckers back in the early days of trucking (1920s/30s) ..... driving the desert roads at night, swore they had seen a camel(s) out in the desert night, that ran off at the approaching lights.

I think part of the confusion is that one of the Camels did give birth in captivity, in a zoo (I guess a zoo in some CA city had gotten a few of the original ones at auction). That off-spring lived a long life, and died well into this century (1950s? I forget). It was in the newspaper, at that time, that "this was the last of the surviving line from the Beale Camels". Some people must've morphed that truth, into the speculation that some were still in the wild, also still loose and breeding ???

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks Pegleg for another amazing true Calif story,

Amazing and true camels once were here, In fact (Tom) if you are reading this you may remember we talked about this one night hiking into an old settlement. The same night you, Moe and myself made our way into the darkness hiking across the desert terrain which was the same terrain the camels were used by the soldiers.

Thanks Pegleg for another wonderful story! Boy it brings great memories :)

Paul (Ca)

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are making me blush with all this gratitude. Thank you soooo much.

I think I read in Desert Magazine that the last free roaming camel was shoot by a desrt wanderer somewhere around the early 1900's. I could be wrong though.
It reminds me of the idiots that used to hunt wild burro's. They would just get close and shoot them dead. I have also heard of people not even getting out of their car and shooting just for sport. I'll check on it and see if I can post something on it for you all.

Have fun
PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread