California or Bust

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Newbie just started prospecting this year. Already been to New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado. Left Cache Creek Colorado near Leadville before fist snowfall and headed south through Arizona to California. I am backpacking using only a small sluice and pan. Strictly amateur. But i am an experienced outdoorsman used to primitive camping. No need for a port'a potty, prebuilt fire rings or iron grill gratings to cook on. I would like to stay within about six or eight miles of a small store where i can resupply occasionally. So far I've heard the Yuba River north of Sacramento and the mountains around "Julian" east of San Diego would be ideal for a beginner. Has anyone visited both or either of these locations ? How does the color compare ? If you had to choose and could only visit one or the other, which one would it be ? Thanks.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been near Julian and it's ok. Probably more color up north. Why not hit the East Fork of the San Gabriel River in L.A? A 5 mile hike near The Narrows gives pretty good color if you are willing to dig to the bedrock over the course of a few days.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never been down South but can guarantee it doesnt match anything up North,especially the Yuba

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
never been down South but can guarantee it doesnt match anything up North,especially the Yuba

How can you 'guarantee' something that you've never experienced?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customx_12 said:
kuger said:

How can you 'guarantee' something that you've never experienced?

Probably due to the fact the Yuba is one of the richest rivers in the nation???Ever hear of any several ounce days down South?Didnt think so

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gang,
North is surely better, but gold has been discovered in the Holcomb Valley ( Big Bear ), Julian, Chocolate Mts. Cargo Muchachos, Orocopia's, Turtle Mts and all over the I-40 corridor... Plus the FIRST gold discovered in California was near Santa Clarita in the 1820's by 3 Mexicans in a onion field.. Not by Marshal.... I would like to give credit to the boys up north... Yes you have the mother lode, but down south we have gold as well...

PLL

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
Hi Gang,
North is surely better, but gold has been discovered in the Holcomb Valley ( Big Bear ), Julian, Chocolate Mts. Cargo Muchachos, Orocopia's, Turtle Mts and all over the I-40 corridor... Plus the FIRST gold discovered in California was near Santa Clarita in the 1820's by 3 Mexicans in a onion field.. Not by Marshal.... I would like to give credit to the boys up north... Yes you have the mother lode, but down south we have gold as well...

PLL
Not saying it doesnt,and your right...Marshal was not the first,saying if you are looking to spend your time finding gold and have the option to go to either area,the choice is simple :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kuger's idea is the best direction. Go where the mostest was found. If I'm going to move say, 10 yards of dirt, I want as much as I can get for the sweat! Along Hwy 49, running through the Mother Lode, is the best area of the state for volume. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Kuger's idea is the best direction. Go where the mostest was found. If I'm going to move say, 10 yards of dirt, I want as much as I can get for the sweat! Along Hwy 49, running through the Mother Lode, is the best area of the state for volume. TTC

:thumbsup:Exactly

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stated, the north is likely the best bet. I never said it wasn't. I'm just saying that one shouldn't "guarantee" something they have never experienced. Shoot, I would go so far as to say one shouldn't "guarantee" ANYTHING when it comes to looking for gold.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
pegleglooker said:
Hi Gang,

PLL
Not saying it doesnt,and your right...Marshal was not the first,saying if you are looking to spend your time finding gold and have the option to go to either area,the choice is simple :thumbsup:

Absolutely agreed.... Just wanted to make the point that gold was discovered in SoCal as well...

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customx_12 said:
As I stated, the north is likely the best bet. I never said it wasn't. I'm just saying that one shouldn't "guarantee" something they have never experienced. Shoot, I would go so far as to say one shouldn't "guarantee" ANYTHING when it comes to looking for gold.

Yea?Well,I will guarantee it :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have said it before and I will say it here, again..... I GAURANTEE you will find gold in the areas I have hunted on Coyote Creek. At the Natural Bridges Day Use Area in Calaveras County. Not much, but consistant. Kuger and others have issues with the area so beware. I will be heading back to Yarnell, AZ tomorrow so I will not be down on the Coyote for awhile, if ever. Of course, I cannot honor the guarantee unless I am there. But you name the bet. If high enough, I'll be back to take your money! Just like any other endeavour, it all starts out like a funnel. As you separate the required from the not required, the funnel gets tighter and tighter. As you concentrate on the required, the rewards go up accordingly. Go get your share! Tnx. TTC

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Customx_12 said:

Yea?Well,I will guarantee it :thumbsup:

Hmmm....so much so that if he doesn't find gold up there, you will reimburse him? And if he does, he'll split it with you? I'm acting as his bookie since he's not coming on here to post. That would be kinda fun, actually. Do people ever have group outings and award prizes to those who find the most? Sort of like fishing expeditions that give prizes to the biggest fish? I've never seen that down here but maybe up there where people are just tripping over 10 pound nuggets they have stuff like that? Or is this just a really stupid idea? Annnd now I'm rambling. That is all. :help:

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I tried panning in Julian. It was difficult for me to find anywhere that wasn't private property. I also didn't have a map, and I had no idea what I was doing ( I still don't really). An old man at lake Cuyamaca told me that there's gold out there in blue quartz. I didn't find any gold, but there are a few old mines out there. Google earth around Julian, and you should be able to find them.

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Older model Tesoro B2 UMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
going to give the east fork san gab river a try in about 2-3 weeks. Im an old MDer who has recently picked up a pan and a Keene A52 sluice.... I know just enough to be dangerous.. lol lol.. Im learning thanks to youtube, and lots of reading.. now its time to put the learing to test. Im really looking forward to getting out.

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Older model Tesoro B2 UMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was an older post but:.... I really like Mt Pinos. About 6 years ago I drove to the very top, it was cold and there was some snow on the grownd. There were some astronomers with very big telescops (reflector and refractor) set up... now I understand you can no longer go to the top as the Native American tribe who officially owned the property have re-claimed it and fenced off the road. Im actaully glad to hear that.. The lower parts of the mountain have pretty cool camping areas...some with awesome views.
Cheers
Vince.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vince, I've just started hitting the East Fork too. Found some flakes and a picker after trying several locations. The area right around the wooden bridge and just beyond Heaton Flatts (corrected) are the two spots I have found consistent color at. Would like to get closer to the Allison mine some day.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread