All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been to some of the digs and shell mounds. Pretty neat. I've never detected a site, but just make quadruple sure you are not on an historic site.

Bad Ju-Ju-

Otherwise, best of luck!

OP
OP
H

Harvo

Aug 17, 2013
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been to any digs, but to mound key. No detecting...
I know you need to make sure it is not a historical site. I dont need any jail time.
I tried to upload some aerial photos, I have to convert them to jpg.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not been to any digs, but to mound key. No detecting...
I know you need to make sure it is not a historical site. I dont need any jail time.
I tried to upload some aerial photos, I have to convert them to jpg.

Okay, but when you give up the exact location- everybody, including the officials that routinely monitor this site will have the information as well.

Anything and everything you post can and will be used against you....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it will be better to take the photos while you are actually there. Just make sure if you use a phone the GPS is turned off. By all means do not detect on any Govt land or pick up any artifacts of any kind in parks. GL and HH, rock

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Aw, C'mon, all the canals around here anymore are dredged for boats or "mosquito" ditches, which do not work, LOL. :coffee2:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, nobody cares about the canals and stuff, unless you find something.

Then the deluge of problems come your way from the state and 'officials'.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought of doing this when I lived in Fort Myers, I just know there are alot of laws about disturbing the areas. Last time i was on Matlacha, I had some crazy homeowner come up to me asking what i was doing and that the Public Park was a natrure preserve and i had no business on the property...which is total BS....I would just becareful, and check the laws.... Florida dont take kindly in people digging up Native american anything...

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
There's nothing in those shell heaps anyways, they are just garbage piles. Don't get in trouble. I doubt anything has been dredged on the spoil piles from those canals so kayaking along them and looking for stuff is a waste of time. Better off hunting shark's teeth on the beach.

:occasion18:

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I would imagine detecting a canal would be a waste of time. They didn't have metal tools for digging the canals and they were used as roads to the shore. with the recent arrest non favorable picture painted of us looters, I would be content to just walk around with a stick..now if you want to talk about the Fort Center site, well............................

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the Ten Thousand Islands area South west florida years ago and found a shell mound on a small island. I went further inland and found a huge stone alter carved from one huge piece of stone. The weight must have been about a ton. It was sitting on the ground with one end raised higher due to the roots of a large tree picking it up.

There is no way to get that alter out without some very heavy duty equipment. It sits behind the shell mound.

It's really thick jungle in there and almost impossible to see unless you are right on top of it.

OP
OP
H

Harvo

Aug 17, 2013
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the calusa indians were know for over taking passing by vessels, I would think they would have to have dropped something on the ground. Do a google search on Cape Coral Pirate Ship found. It was an old schooner, you can still see the wood in the water. If you do a bing map search as well. (pretty cool)
They are trying to say nothing was on the ship. Maybe to deter people from searching it themselves. If a ship like this was taken over by indians they would have to transport the goods somewhere.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah, nobody cares about the canals and stuff, unless you find something.

Then the deluge of problems come your way from the state and 'officials'.

I find what you said here is often the case. No one on the planet gives a crap about a spot, that is.... Until I show a little interest. To the OP, some things you just have to be selfish with.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rules in Fl are very strict so not many will want to talk about searching in Fl just so you know. Especially on a open forum where anybody can see.
Welcome to the site Harvo.

OP
OP
H

Harvo

Aug 17, 2013
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the sunken pirate ship that I was talking about that the guy found, it is a the end of Cape Coral by the mouth of a creek.
The news was saying it was a pirate schooner. They say noting it there ( because the Calusa Indians stole everything and killed everyone )
Just kidding that is how rumors get started..

I would like to get in that little canal with a MD, I have been down some of the creeks and prefer to stay in the boat.

OP
OP
H

Harvo

Aug 17, 2013
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunken Pirate Ship Cape Coral.jpg
Sunken Pirate Ship Cape Coral1.jpg

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks square to me. I have never seen a sunken ship before though so I dont claim to be a expert. No ocean near me for hours.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the sunken pirate ship that I was talking about that the guy found, it is a the end of Cape Coral by the mouth of a creek.
The news was saying it was a pirate schooner. They say noting it there ( because the Calusa Indians stole everything and killed everyone )
Just kidding that is how rumors get started..

I would like to get in that little canal with a MD, I have been down some of the creeks and prefer to stay in the boat.

You should read Florida law about waterways before you do anything.
You're posting this information in an open forum.
Just be aware please... knowlage of the laws regarding disturbing anything on state land..which that is...is your responsibility.
The penalties in Florida are harsh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread